Multimedia dock weather station app can't utilize GPS?

PaulL

Reaction score
I've got the multimedia docking station for my Droid. When plugged in, it can go into a clock/weather station mode.

You can manually tell the weather station what zip code you want the weather displayed for, or it supposedly can automatically determine it from your current location.

However, I only activate the GPS for location services. I don't activate the wireless network location service (dont think it's accurate enough for maps, etc, and don't like Google's data collection agreement).

With only GPS enabled, the docking station says that I don't have location service enabled, and it points me back to the settings menu to 'fix' it.

I'm guessing that it wants to use the wireless location, but I don't want to turn that on to try it. Seems to me that it ought to use the GPS location.

Is this behavior consistent with what y'all have seen?

Is it a bug in the weather station or a limitation because it's using Accuweather for the display?

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Mind you I have dock runner, an app to place the phone in the dock mode, however:

I ran the dock mode with no GPS or wifi, and I got my location automatically.

I switched wifi on, and reran the dock, it still showed my location, so I asked to to get my location again automatically, it looked it up and then again displayed it.

I then turned wi fi off, GPS on, and repeated, it looked it up stating it was looking up lat/long, then setting location and then displayed it again.

I'm not sure what you mean by not activating the wireless network location, if you open google maps for example, there is only two ways your location is shown:

1. A location point based upon your cellular location, with a (large) error circle on it, or;

2. A single point showing your location based upon you having GPS enabled.

If I'm missing something here, please elaborate, I do know you can block the sharing of your location on Google in your settings for the account.

OP
P

PaulL

Reaction score
The only way I could get it to use my GPS location was to also turn on the wireless network location service (even though I hate the Google agreement).

However, once I turned off wireless network location service, and still kept GPS on, it seems to work OK now.

JeffR714

Reaction score
Nothing Weather Related

I hooked up everything and the only thing I'm getting is the icons (Alarm Clock,Photos,Music,Home I have the clock but nothing related to weather running Droid Mod that wouldn't have anything to do with it right? I'm guessing not.My screen dosen't look like the one on the multimedia station box. Can I get some help Please I'm connected to the computer GPS on Wireless on crazy!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can't make sense of your last sentence.

Is your home screen in the dock blue? Try pressing the light bulb icon.

JeffR714

Reaction score
No Weather

The only thing that comes on the screen when I dock is a big clock and at the bottom I get these icons alarm clock,photos,music,home. The screen doesn't look like the box it the MD came in. Could it be the rooting of the phone the Droid Mod?

G_Neo

Reaction score
*rant* If you root/brick/mod/hack/crack your phone, or by any other means modify the hardware or customize the o.s., you HAVE to do so with the understanding that if you encounter ANY problems, that YOU are pretty much on your own to figure out a fix. Furthermore, any thread asking for help should begin with "I rooted/rom'd my phone"*end rant*
That being said, my weather thing doesnt work either, and my phone is unmodified. I dont leave my gps on either, but i can pretty much tell what the weather is when i go to sleep, and im not interested what it is in the middle of the night. ;-)