Thunderbolt GPS issues

badbeat33

Reaction score
My thunderbolt takes about 4-5 minutes to get a GPS lock once I turn GPS on and then choose my destination. Is this normal? I downloaded GPS Status and toolbox and have reset my cache and then downloaded the data again but that didn't seem to help any. When I choose which location settings to use which should I check: VZW location services, standalone GPS services, or Google location services? Or should I have them all checked? 5 minutes to get a GPS lock is basically useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

techguru

Reaction score
My thunderbolt takes about 4-5 minutes to get a GPS lock once I turn GPS on and then choose my destination. Is this normal? I downloaded GPS Status and toolbox and have reset my cache and then downloaded the data again but that didn't seem to help any. When I choose which location settings to use which should I check: VZW location services, standalone GPS services, or Google location services? Or should I have them all checked? 5 minutes to get a GPS lock is basically useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I try not to be one of those "Use Search" before asking jerks, but there are two threads in the first eleven posts in the Thunderbolt forum on this very subject.

Try this one: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/htc-thunderbolt/147693-whats-wrong-navigation-tbolt.html

Alan

OP
B

badbeat33

Reaction score
I have tried all of the recommendations on the other two threads you mentioned but nowhere does it discuss which GPS setting I should be using. VZW? Standalone? Google?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

techguru

Reaction score
It doesn't matter. It is just broken. VZW will get you within ~1800 feet because it knows what cell tower you are near. Google looks at what WiFi signals are near you, and if they are in their database it similarly will get you within a few thousand feet at best. GPS will eventually get you within a few meters, but it is not using Verizon aGPS properly, so it is as slow as a non-phone standalone GPS to get its location fix, and doesn't work well in adverse conditions where aGPS would (like inside some buildings or in urban canyons).

I tried the SIM card pull with no effect, I haven't tried the hard reset yet since the OTA. I don't hold out much hope for that. I think HTC needs to release another fix before it will work well.

Alan

OP
B

badbeat33

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums