Standalone GPS Not Working

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I too was having SIGNIFICANT delay with GPS location. Found on the thunderbolt forum that powering off device, pulling battery and sim card then reinstalling may help. tried it and so far so good.

zertsman

Reaction score
I've done that a dozen times... Not a help at all

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Huh, guess I got lucky! I've been checking it constantly since doing it. Now at work and it still seems OK.

Been thinking about throwing a custom ROM on there to see if that helps. Heard Liquid Thundersense 1.45 has some tweaks to help GPS locking.

zertsman

Reaction score
My wife went to new jersey and all was good.

Your device is fine, the service is a different story.

techguru

Reaction score
I too was having SIGNIFICANT delay with GPS location. Found on the thunderbolt forum that powering off device, pulling battery and sim card then reinstalling may help. tried it and so far so good.

This did nothing for me. 111 seconds time to first fix.

Alan

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com

This did nothing for me. 111 seconds time to first fix.

Alan

yeah me neither - I think it was just coincidence it worked for me that first time. I rooted and loaded up a custom ROM that was supposed to have a GPS locking fix ... still no luck.
Between this and the battery life I am afraid this thing is gonna have to go back :(

zertsman

Reaction score
Tomorrow which one gets a lock will be reversed.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
yeah me neither - I think it was just coincidence it worked for me that first time. I rooted and loaded up a custom ROM that was supposed to have a GPS locking fix ... still no luck.
Between this and the battery life I am afraid this thing is gonna have to go back :(

Hate to quote myself, but I stand corrected. It appears (as of now) that this custom ROM has GREATLY improved my GPS lock - I rebooted after loading it and all seems OK ... for now lol

borq646

Reaction score
Try installing GPS status and tool box, I had problems too and they seem to be solved by using this other app to run the GPS on the phone

Instructions to fix Thunderbolt: Install GPS Status from the market, then: Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Reset Menu -> Tools -> Manage AGPS -> Download

So far so good for me, I have been majorly frustrated with verizon over this issue.

I saw this in another thread somewhere today and tried it. GPS works great now.

kenoshabrew

Reaction score
I found a very interesting message from a guy on another forum regarding how the D3 gps works. I thought it was worth sharing.

-------------------------------------------------
The Droid 3 GPS works exceptionally well but definitely differently than all previous Droid devices in that they all utilized the Qualcomm GPS receiver on the radio chipset and the Droid 3 uses the TI OMAP GPS receiver on the SOC instead. This would explain why the Droid 3 does, in fact, get a fix while in Airplane mode very quickly(avg. 3-7s) whereas the D1 cannot, because the radio is disabled and therefore the GPS receiver as well.

Another significant difference with the D3 is that the TI OMAP GPS receiver does not pass on the raw NMEA data from the satellites to the Android system and therefore you will not get a display of the satellite positions in GPS Status or other apps whether graphic or text based.
Rather you just get compass display and pitch/roll from the accellerometer and then the fix position data will populate.
----------------------------------------
Original post can be found here:
Droid 3 - Standalone GPS functionality

Good luck everyone.
-Kenoshabrew

I'm having GPS problems. First, I'm not sure what the difference is other than it doesn't seem as accurate but the google location services work fine. However when I just have the standalone location services turned on, it doesn't work. The Sense clock widget doesn't get location data, nor does maps.

I've read some threads and started up maps and left it alone for 25 minutes now and still no location. The status bar has the satellite on it saying it's trying to get location though. Does it sometimes take over 30 minutes for this to initialize? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for any help