Sprint Announces 'Cut Your Wireless Bill in Half' Promo Coming from Verizon or AT&T

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sprint-cut-your-bill-in-half.jpeg

Sprint just made their biggest push yet to grab customers from AT&T and Verizon. They just announced their newest promotional plan designed to entice customers from the "big two." It's called the "Cut Your Wireless Bill in Half Event," and it basically does exactly that.

The basic gist of the plan is that Sprint will offer customers unlimited talk and text, and the same data usage they are currently getting from AT&T or Verizon, but they will only pay half of what they are paying at those carriers. What's even more tempting is that Sprint specifically states this is not a limited promo. This will be the customer's ongoing price! This new promotional offer will become available stating Friday, December 5th.

Here's the example Sprint gave,

"The half-off rate from Sprint will be based on the monthly voice, text and data rate plan charge for all lines on the customer’s Verizon or AT&T bill. For example, Verizon customers paying $140/month for four lines of service to share can get four lines of service from Sprint for $70/month. Customers are entitled to the half-off rate as long as they remain on the plan. ~ Sprint"

On top of this offer, Sprint will even include up to $350 dollars on a Visa Gift Card to "buyout" your contract with AT&T or Verizon, and they will waive the $36 activation fee! Wow!

If you are lucky enough to live in one of Sprint's good coverage cities like I am, this seems like a phenomenal offer!

For more info, here's a link to Sprint's main landing page on this: Sprint Half Price Event

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
See...the thing is...Sprint's service in my area is subpar to Verizon. If it was better, I would jump on this faster than flies on shhtuff.

But, I have unlimited data, so...does this apply to me as well?

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's a good question. It says that Sprint will match your data allowance, so this seems to suggest that if you have Unlimited Data, that will be what you get. I perused the FAQ on this event offer and I couldn't find anything saying it couldn't be unlimited. Of course, you will want to ask a Sprint rep to be sure.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It's pretty bad that they leave their current customers out in the cold. They should be cutting their costs in half first.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's pretty bad that they leave their current customers out in the cold. They should be cutting their costs in half first.
I agree 100 percent. But unfortunately Ollie, that is the status quo for cellular carrier as well as for home cable TV carriers.

I recently had to terminate my agreement with FiOS and have it re- installed under my wife's name in order to get the promotional rate which was literally half what I was paying on my existing contract. Seems silly to have to move it from one persons name to another just to get the promotional rate when I was off contract for almost four years at the time that I asked them if they could do it for me. The answer was of course, no.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Tempting but vzw is still #1 where I travel.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
This is in the fine print as well:

Usage Limitations: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network.

SO you'll be throttled if you go with this plan?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree 100 percent. But unfortunately Ollie, that is the status quo for cellular carrier as well as for home cable TV carriers.

I recently had to terminate my agreement with FiOS and have it re- installed under my wife's name in order to get the promotional rate which was literally half what I was paying on my existing contract. Seems silly to have to move it from one persons name to another just to get the promotional rate when I was off contract for almost four years at the time that I asked them if they could do it for me. The answer was of course, no.

Ironically enough this is exactly what we are doing when I get home. There is a one year deal that slays my current deal by a long shot and the answer I received was to cancel, switch names on the bill, use it for a year, cancel again, switch names again, wash..rinse..repeat. Seems to me they prey on current customers who can't seem to get around to swapping the bill or those people that have no one else to transfer the bill to for the better rates.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ironically enough this is exactly what we are doing when I get home. There is a one year deal that slays my current deal by a long shot and the answer I received was to cancel, switch names on the bill, use it for a year, cancel again, switch names again, wash..rinse..repeat. Seems to me they prey on current customers who can't seem to get around to swapping the bill or those people that have no one else to transfer the bill to for the better rates.
I agree about taking advantage of people who can't do the flip flop. Is very unfair.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If I were a Sprint customer I would be irate. This is a huge slap in the face.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx

Mike and I were in that boat with fios as well....it took three days and several attempts to renegotiate a better rate.....it finally came down to we called to disconnect Fios due to our pending Cox setup......they finally got us to the retention people and we are now on a plan that has been advertised for "new" Fios customers......

sent from my sexy Note 4

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
This is in the fine print as well:

Usage Limitations: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network.

SO you'll be throttled if you go with this plan?
There was an article in ArsTechnica about that.

I might do an opinion piece or something similar.

I work for an ISP. Unlimited data and unlimited speed mean two different things. And I agree with throttling of data. But I will give my thoughts in that later.

Either way, Sprint's offer is really not the greatest deal.