Spilled coffee on my Drodi X.

jradd09

Reaction score
I was having breakfast out, when I spilled my coffee onto my phone. Picked it up and wiped it off in less than 5 seconds.
I tried to see if it still worked it did.
Then I figured I should take out the battery to attempt to dry it. Did that, battery and inside the back seemed nice and dry. Popped the battery back in, and it seemed like it wouldn't turn on. But the green light was flashing like I had a message. The lower lights would light up when pressing the lock button, but the display would not show up.
So now I have it sitting in oats(no rice available..), hoping that will fix it. :/

Any ideas on how to fix it?

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's about your only option, but you should've kept the battery out til you knew it was dry.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I agree with urban bounca..there's not a lot you can do from this point... keep it off, keep it drying...

OP
J

jradd09

Reaction score
I feel as though I've messed it up beyond repair haha. The lower lights will illuminate, but the display will not. I can somewhat see the background and everything.. I can very vaguely see the time and stuff, but only for a second. If I press the lock key and slide where it WOULD unlock, I can feel it vibrate, as it's unlocking. :/

Now it's sitting in rice..
Worst part is, I just got it Friday. :<

My brother got the RAZR and gave me his X. >:/

Oh well, upgrade in January!

Thanks for the help everyone.

OP
J

jradd09

Reaction score
Do you think submerging the phone in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes then placing it in rice for a few days might work?
If it doesn't work with just the rice tomorrow, I'll try going out and buying some alcohol and whatnot..

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Do you think submerging the phone in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes then placing it in rice for a few days might work?
If it doesn't work with just the rice tomorrow, I'll try going out and buying some alcohol and whatnot..

I certainly wouldn't suggest you submerge the phone into anything at this point. Rubbing alcohol has other components besides either Ethanol or Isopropyl Alcohol including water and other chemicals that can leave residue and also may melt certain plastics and paint.

You may benefit from using a residue-free electronic cleaner spray such as Type FD® Fast Drying Electrical Contact Cleaner -- A Powerful Aerosol with Quick Evaporation that Cleans Cables, Contacts, Circuit Boards, Controls, Relays, Switches, Electronic Equipment, Parts, Tools, and other Industrial Maintenance Items.. The most important things about these sprays that you need to be cautious of is that it doesn't soften or destroy the plastic, paints or other plastic treatments, and that it is both non-conductive and non-lubricating. The spray above is among the best out there. You would have to open the phone and spray the board itself, paying special attention to contacts and switches, connections of the ribbon cables, and the extremely closely spaced board-mounted chip contacts, to displace any water or remnants of the coffee.

You will want to avoid spraying the digitizer and display if at all possible, but if the coffee made it onto the display or between it and the digitizer you may benefit from a quick spritz on them, but don't overdo it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Did the coffee have sugar or cream in it?? That could be your issue...

OP
J

jradd09

Reaction score
Yeah it had both. Worried it'll corrode everything. Ill most likely end up just using the insurane I have.

OP
J

jradd09

Reaction score
It covers against anything as long as you pay the $100 deductible, as long as it isn't an a defective product.
I had a phone that wouldn't charge about 3 months ago, got a replacement free.