Soon to have a droid X

alB5

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to know your experiences with the Droid X. I will soon be getting one and i want to know what you're feelings are software/hardware wise. I'm only asking this because Verizon has a back-order on this phone until friday or saturday, and i don't know if this upcoming Droid X will be completely functional since the past few (July Release) had the screen issue, and the other (August) had freezing problems.

TIA

DQ

liferefugee

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums... many people here with some great knowledge of all things droid, so never fear asking a question. dancedroid

I got mine about 2 weeks ago, everything has been great. No issues with software or hardware. Of course my use of it is games, browsing, social (yammer/facebook), email... so nothing major. Not trying to hook up to outlook or anything. In my opinion the phone is worth the wait. Everything that has been launched since the X came out has not topped it, been a viable second choice perhaps, but has not beat the X.

What do you plan on using your phone for? Oh, and your timing is great since froyo is official tomorrow (unless something happens) which should make the software even better.... unless moto spent some of their time adding new things to try and stop us from doing custom things.

If you have any tech savy at all, I highly recomend rooting your phone. You can always unroot it to restore warrenty should you need to do that. Some of the things you can do with it rooted is nice and if you check out the boards here you can get step by step instructions on just how to do it.

Last edited:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Welcome to the forums!!

I have had my X since release date and have had no issues (other than maybe a user error on occasion)...the issues that have been reported I think are minimal to the number of Xs that are actually out and being used...the phone itself is fast and offers alot of possibilities...unless you are a fan of "blur", I would not enable some of the components...it is truly like having a small computer in your hand - nice browser and searching capabilities...

In addition to these subforums, also check us out at www.droidxforums.com...

OP
A

alB5

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums... many people here with some great knowledge of all things droid, so never fear asking a question. dancedroid

I got mine about 2 weeks ago, everything has been great. No issues with software or hardware. Of course my use of it is games, browsing, social (yammer/facebook), email... so nothing major. Not trying to hook up to outlook or anything. In my opinion the phone is worth the wait. Everything that has been launched since the X came out has not topped it, been a viable second choice perhaps, but has not beat the X.

What do you plan on using your phone for? Oh, and your timing is great since froyo is official tomorrow (unless something happens) which should make the software even better.... unless moto spent some of their time adding new things to try and stop us from doing custom things.

If you have any tech savy at all, I highly recomend rooting your phone. You can always unroot it to restore warrenty should you need to do that. Some of the things you can do with it rooted is nice and if you check out the boards here you can get step by step instructions on just how to do it.

Thanks for the response, i plan to use the phone for the same reasons as you do. As an all rounded smartphone i do have a question about rooting*, do you recommend a Rooted* Droid X on 2.1 rather than a 2.2 Droid X non-rooted*? Also, is tethering similar to jailbreaking on iphones/ipod touches? Sorry I'm a noob at Android devices but I'm still pretty tech savvy. :)

Last edited:
OP
A

alB5

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!!

I have had my X since release date and have had no issues (other than maybe a user error on occasion)...the issues that have been reported I think are minimal to the number of Xs that are actually out and being used...the phone itself is fast and offers alot of possibilities...unless you are a fan of "blur", I would not enable some of the components...it is truly like having a small computer in your hand - nice browser and searching capabilities...

In addition to these subforums, also check us out at www.droidxforums.com...

Thanks for the link, i'll be sure to check it out when i get the phone itself :)

liferefugee

Reaction score
ok, tethering is simply the act of using your phone's 3g connection to support internet use on another device. I think what you are thinking of is rooting. Which makes your question, rooted 2.1 or non rooted 2.2.. and the answer to that is rooted 2.2 :)

jailbreaking I always took to mean unlocking the phone to use with another carrier, and this is not the same as rooting. rooting is gaining access to the super user account (root) which gives you full access to your phone instead of things being locked down. Much of android is familiar if you are familiar with command line linux.

OP
A

alB5

Reaction score
ok, tethering is simply the act of using your phone's 3g connection to support internet use on another device. I think what you are thinking of is rooting. Which makes your question, rooted 2.1 or non rooted 2.2.. and the answer to that is rooted 2.2 :)

jailbreaking I always took to mean unlocking the phone to use with another carrier, and this is not the same as rooting. rooting is gaining access to the super user account (root) which gives you full access to your phone instead of things being locked down. Much of android is familiar if you are familiar with command line linux.

Haha sorry, i got a little mixed up in the lingo. So do you have to be rooted to use the wi-fi tethering? I saw this video and got interested in doing so.

[video=youtube;jcDSWgp0Fpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcDSWgp0Fpo]YouTube - How to get FREE Wifi Tether on your Droid X![/video]

Do you have to worry about the data limits when tethering to another device? (I will only be getting the minimum $30 plan when buying the phone)

liferefugee

Reaction score
currently the only way to get infrastucture wifi going (hotspot) is with VZ's app that runs $20/mo with a 2GB limit. That said...

you can get bluetooth, usb, and wifi tether (ad hoc network) going without rooting if you use a paid app, or for free if you do root. 2.2 has this built in, but there is the app wireless tether you can download as well if rooted (if on 2.1). I know the devs of wireless tether are trying to get hotspot working, but they dont have a DX to test on so its slow going.

If you use the second and third option (non vz paid app for non root, or rooted method) then VZ can only tell that your phone is pulling down data and you are bound by the terms of your data plan. That being said, general rule of thumb is dont be stupid and do things that your phone can not do like online MMO gaming from a laptop connected to your phone. Things like that can make big red upset and actively find ways to mess up the work around we currently have.

OP
A

alB5

Reaction score
currently the only way to get infrastucture wifi going (hotspot) is with VZ's app that runs $20/mo with a 2GB limit. That said...

you can get bluetooth, usb, and wifi tether (ad hoc network) going without rooting if you use a paid app, or for free if you do root. 2.2 has this built in, but there is the app wireless tether you can download as well if rooted (if on 2.1). I know the devs of wireless tether are trying to get hotspot working, but they dont have a DX to test on so its slow going.

If you use the second and third option (non vz paid app for non root, or rooted method) then VZ can only tell that your phone is pulling down data and you are bound by the terms of your data plan. That being said, general rule of thumb is dont be stupid and do things that your phone can not do like online MMO gaming from a laptop connected to your phone. Things like that can make big red upset and actively find ways to mess up the work around we currently have.

very informative, i dont plan on paying the extra $20 a month for wifi hotspot tethering. With that said is wired tethering to a local laptop possible? If not this wireless tether that 2.2 has built in, does it have ability to connect to at-least one device? I don't have much need for the "hotspot" feature. :icon_rolleyes:

liferefugee

Reaction score
if you just want to hook up a laptop, best bet is to use USB tethering... use the same usb (standard to micro) that comes with the phone for charging unless you have another one. The one in the box is kinda short.

OP
A

alB5

Reaction score
if you just want to hook up a laptop, best bet is to use USB tethering... use the same usb (standard to micro) that comes with the phone for charging unless you have another one. The one in the box is kinda short.

But you do think that there might be a wifi tether app (non VZW) sometime soon? I'd love to hook up multiple devices but its not a necessity.

liferefugee

Reaction score
you can do wifi tether, it just uses an adhoc network at the moment. We are all waiting for a true hotspot outside of the VZ app. I have a corporate laptop, I would love to be able to use my DX to get some things done while on the train home.

OP
A

alB5

Reaction score
you can do wifi tether, it just uses an adhoc network at the moment. We are all waiting for a true hotspot outside of the VZ app. I have a corporate laptop, I would love to be able to use my DX to get some things done while on the train home.

Ad-Hoc networks aren't sufficient enough? What is the issue with using the Ad-Hoc tether to connect a laptop?

liferefugee

Reaction score
corporate IT groups like to block the ad-hoc networks as wifi options for security reasons. It is those same security reasons that also remove the options of usb and bluetooth tethering... so infrastructure mode is the only way for those devices. For your own personal device, ad-hoc is just fine, though you may have to push a button now and again to reconnect since windows wants to make sure you really want to connect to them.

OP
A

alB5

Reaction score
corporate IT groups like to block the ad-hoc networks as wifi options for security reasons. It is those same security reasons that also remove the options of usb and bluetooth tethering... so infrastructure mode is the only way for those devices. For your own personal device, ad-hoc is just fine, though you may have to push a button now and again to reconnect since windows wants to make sure you really want to connect to them.

Wow, cant wait to get my Droid X. Seems like tons of options to go with when froyo arrives tomorrow it will make it even better. How is verizon 3g service? I do have verizon currently but i have a "featured phone" so no wireless internet whatsoever. Have you had any issues?