Wirefly--Droid X--problem

oldcarrot

Reaction score
I placed an order for Droid X on August 5 with Wirefly. Their website showed limited availability. I placed the order by phone and was told I should have the phone by Monday, August 9.

By Saturday, Aug 7, it is obvious that won't happen as I don't have a tracking number. And the website now shows 3-5 days shipping.

So I email them on Monday Aug 9, get a response Aug 10 that phone is extremely popular,etc and that it will ship in order that orders were received. By now website shows 5-7 days shipping.

I think that instead of getting the phone quicker with Wirefly, which is why I ordered from them, it will actually take longer.

And...supposedly in my order is a $30 bill credit from Verizon. But purchases are to be made by midnight Aug 8, so guess what my chances of receiving that credit are.

If I hadn't been told by the Wirefly representative on the phone that I would have the phone by Monday, Aug 9, I wouldn't have placed the order.

It feels to me that Wirefly is intentionally misleading customers to get more business. I hope that when I eventually receive the phone I don't have the activation problems that others have posted about. I don't see how w
Wirefly is the #1 intenet seller of cell phones if this is how they do business.

TheJester34

Reaction score
I got my DX from Wirefly and had to overnighted. Showed up when it was supposed to. They shouldn't have told you it would be there a certain day if they knew it was popular though. I'd call and raise heck over that

OP
O

oldcarrot

Reaction score
can't you call and cancel?

Sure I can cancel...and then go to the back of the queue with Verizon. I would do that if I really thought it would get me the phone faster.

I would like to see Wirefly at least make sure I get the $30 credit,,,and if not from Verizon, then from them.

The problem is that Wirefly are not forthcoming or honest in their assessment of shipping dates. Other than telling me they fill orders in the order they are received (actually the order they are approved by Verizon, I think), they give no further information. I just think it is dishonest to post 3-5 day or 5-7 day shipping on their website when it seems they really have no idea. And certainly their telephone sales person should not have told me the phone would be to me by Monday.

DeathAdder

Reaction score
You gotta bug them. I had an Incredible and within the 30-days the Droid X was coming out for an additional $30 over what I paid for the Incredible with Wirefly.

I decided that I would get the DX before I sent the DInc back. There was a refundable $250 for that option, plus I had to pay the entire $179 for the DX. Once the DInc was received back I would get the $149 back for it, plus the $250 back.

The latter wasn't credited back after I got the $149 back. I had to call them and they were nice enough and refunded me. But you have to stay onto of them.

Good luck.

Wirefly

Reaction score
@oldcarrot, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience.

You are correct that we would not be the Internet's #1 seller of cell phones if we were to mislead customers to get more business. With the recent shortages of several popular phone models, we have been particularly careful not to overpromise delivery times, to ensure a good customer experience.

We merchandised the Droid X clearly as a backordered device for the last two weeks, so if one of our call center agents guaranteed that you would have this phone by Monday, I would greatly appreciate if you would send me a PM with your order number, so that we may pull a recording of the call, and take action as necessary.

The good news is that as of today, we have cleared all backorders on this phone, so yours should be in your hands shortly if it isn't already. Verizon will also ensure that the $30 bill credit promotion is applied based on the order date.

As a point of clarification, we do ship orders based on the original order date, but only after Verizon has approved the order. On some orders, Verizon may require a deposit, or verification of information. Some orders may "jump ahead" of those orders while they are taking longer to get approved," but once an order is approved by Verizon, it is queued based on the original order date.

Again, I apologize for your experience and look forward to your PM. I will also look up your order to make sure there are no other issues.

Have a great weekend and enjoy your new Droid X!

OP
O

oldcarrot

Reaction score
Wirefly,

It is nice to see that someone actually from Wirefly pays attention to the forums.

At the time I placed the phone order on Aug 5 (what the website said to do for a family plan secondary number upgrade), the website said limited quantities or perhaps limited availability...but not back-ordered. Nor did the website state anything about delayed shipping. So I did not question that I would be receiving the phone the following Monday when the sales person told me that.

I don't know how limited availability or quantities implies back-ordered. Only after my order had been placed and I checked online to see the status had the website changed to 3-5 days shipping....then several days later to 5-7 days. Once the website showed anything other than the usual shipping time, it is obvious there is a back-order situation. If you have the ability to look at your website at specific times in the past, you can see that it was not showing as back-ordered for two weeks.

The Verizon website and Amazon website both showed this phone as back-ordered. Yours did not which is why I chose Wirefly.

I will PM you the order number. The sales person was very pleasant and other than suggesting I buy phone insurance from you (which I didn't) was not at all pushy or impolite. And although I believe the call was routed to India, there was no language difficulty. It is not at all my desire to have this particular sales person fired. Unless he had access to something other than your website showed, he had no way of knowing it was back-ordered.

I look forward to your help if Verizon does not honor the $30 bill credit promotion.

OP
O

oldcarrot

Reaction score
And, by the way, I did receive a FedEx tracking number today. It shows I will get the phone on Tuesday, Aug 17 which is 12 days after the order. Hopefully there will be no activation problems.

FWIW, it appears to be about the same time most who ordered from Verizon waited. Some longer, some shorter.

Firefly did...and does have the best price for a Droid X phone upgrade to a secondary line on a family plan.
:)

Wirefly

Reaction score
Wirefly,

It is nice to see that someone actually from Wirefly pays attention to the forums.

At the time I placed the phone order on Aug 5 (what the website said to do for a family plan secondary number upgrade), the website said limited quantities or perhaps limited availability...but not back-ordered. Nor did the website state anything about delayed shipping. So I did not question that I would be receiving the phone the following Monday when the sales person told me that.

I don't know how limited availability or quantities implies back-ordered. Only after my order had been placed and I checked online to see the status had the website changed to 3-5 days shipping....then several days later to 5-7 days. Once the website showed anything other than the usual shipping time, it is obvious there is a back-order situation. If you have the ability to look at your website at specific times in the past, you can see that it was not showing as back-ordered for two weeks.

The Verizon website and Amazon website both showed this phone as back-ordered. Yours did not which is why I chose Wirefly.

I will PM you the order number. The sales person was very pleasant and other than suggesting I buy phone insurance from you (which I didn't) was not at all pushy or impolite. And although I believe the call was routed to India, there was no language difficulty. It is not at all my desire to have this particular sales person fired. Unless he had access to something other than your website showed, he had no way of knowing it was back-ordered.

I look forward to your help if Verizon does not honor the $30 bill credit promotion.

At Wirefly, every employee is committed to creating a better way to shop for cell phones, we work diligently to achieve your total satisfaction. We have received your PM and we will review all of the information including the sales call as well as information regarding the bill credit.

Again I apologize that you have had a bad experience and for any miscommunication from our sales person.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

bad4u

Reaction score
Now thats what I call customer service! Damn Im ordering my pro from YOU at the end of the year.dancedroid

OP
O

oldcarrot

Reaction score
Arrived today and activated fine

:icon_ banana:

The "X" arrived today from Wirefly. You're supposed to wait until old phone is deactivated before activating new one...finally couldn't wait for it to happen on its own and called Wirefly, got old one deactivated and Droid X activated. No problem. Just wish it came with a charged battery. Was able to do a few things with it before it went out.

The paperwork arrived with it saying I should also get the $30 Verizon bill reduction in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd billing cycle since order was placed on 8/5.

So far, so good.

TeeJay

Reaction score
looking at ordering/getting a new phone in the next week or so.. looks like i found my place!

OP
O

oldcarrot

Reaction score
Received the $30 credit

Just got confirmation that the $30 credit has been applied to my Verizon account.

Wirefly

Reaction score
Just got confirmation that the $30 credit has been applied to my Verizon account.

Happy to hear it, oldcarrot! Enjoy your new DROID X. It's clearly one of the top Android phones on the market today. Let me know if you need anything else. We take pride in ensuring our customers have a satisfying experience.

Thanks for shopping at Wirefly!
Wirefly Jeff