So sick of so slow!! Missing my iPhone

aharper

Reaction score
The iPhone comment was just to get views. :)

But seriously, this phone (maxx hd) has become so slow that I'm starting to hate it. Unlocking is slow some times. It can literally take 3 - 5 seconds at times to open that app drawer after hitting the button. It's not this slow all the time but is *most* of the time anymore. My apps are a minimum, probably 20 or less. I used to have WidgetLocker and removed it thinking it could be part of the lag... no change.

Three times I have had the device slow down so much that it took a solid 45 seconds or so just to close the screen (hit the lock button on the side and the screen goes black). On a side note, it's kinda cool how the screen shrinks when that happens, it's normally so fast that you can't tell it's actually shrinking when it goes black.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to speed this thing up? OMG, it's SOOOOOOO frustrating to wait so long for things to work.

Oh, and since I'm in vent mode... really sucks that Pandora and USA Today don't work. USA Today boot loops the phone every time I launch the app (so it's removed) and Pandora used to work great until late last week when it started saying "Unfortunately Pandora has stopped". I have removed, reinstalled, cleared cache, etc. Upon some investigation it seems I'm not the only one with the trouble but I admit, this phone is beginning to frustrate me.

swharshbar

Reaction score
Sucks, but I've got nothing but praise to say about this phone. I've had great battery life, apps run really good, and fast. Only complaint is the loss of FoxFi with Jelly bean but I'm sure that will be fixed.

For your issues, it REALLY sounds like you need a factory reset. Then install the apps a few at a time to see which ones could be causing the issue. Also, take a look at "All Settings, then Developer options, then window animation scale (should be set to .5x), and the transition animation scale (should be set to .5x) and your Animator duration scale (again, should be set to .5x) settings. These settings seem to work really nice on my phone.

Otherwise, you may have a dud.. and need a new phone. I've been extremely happy with my phone. Good luck.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Have you cleared cache on the phone? Power off the phone then:

1. Press and hold the Volume Up/Down then press the Power button. When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu release all buttons. Press Volume Down to select Recovery then press Volume Up. From the Droid triage screen, simultaneously press Volume Up/Down.
  2. Select wipe cache then press the Power button.
  3. Restart device
Also, is the the Maxx HD? And did you get the Jelly Bean update yet?

OP
A

aharper

Reaction score
I received the JB update, yes.

I just cleared the cache just now, will post back after I have an idea of results.

Sure hate to do a factory reset, reinstall apps, reapply all of my settings... ironically this is the exact reason I moved from my old Incredible to an iPhone in the first place.

Last edited:

jimmib

Reaction score
I have the "old" razr maxx and got the ZDtool app for utility...I love it...it lets me know how much is in my app caches and I just hit the button to clean...I love smart phones,but when you get older using apps and widgets to do your work is the only way to go...hope you get it going

AirJunky

Reaction score
Mine's not slow in the least, especially if I close all the apps once a day or so.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Also in developer settings, you can limit the number of background process to a smaller number, such as 4 or 3, and it will kill all other apps keeping only the last ones active. This really helps keep the memory usage down which in turn keeps the system running faster.

kmf1

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 7 Pro Verizon
@YankInDaSouth...are there a few more steps (than you listed,) once the phone is powered down, to get to the "wipe the cache" option?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
From Verizon (http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=49625);

(Modified by me for Clear Cache rather than Factory Reset)

Alternate method
  1. Power the device off.
    linote.gif
    Press the Power button then select Power off.
    linote.gif
    If the device doesn't respond to input, press and hold the Volume Up/Down then press and hold Power button. When the device screen goes blank release the Power button while continuing to hold Volume Up/Down, proceed with step 3.
  2. Press and hold the Volume Up/Down then press the Power button.
  3. When presented with the Boot Mode Selection Menu release all buttons.
  4. Press Volume Down to select Recovery then press Volume Up.
  5. WAIT...this takes about 15 seconds and you'll first see the Motorola Logo, then have a black screen while waiting. Eventually you'll see the GREEN ANDROID on his back with a RED TRIANGLE and BLACK EXCLAMATION MARK (aka Droid triage screen).
  6. From the Droid triage screen, simultaneously press Volume Up/Down. (Note: for Jelly Bean, press and HOLD Volume Down, then press Volume Up - Thanks GoCliffGo05)
  7. Select wipe cache partition then press the Power button.
    linote.gif
    Use Volume keys to navigate options.
  8. Once done, reboot system now should be highlighted.
    linote.gif
    Simply press the Power button.

Last edited:
OP
A

aharper

Reaction score
Well, it's certainly better. What I have done...

wiped the cache
set transitions to .5
set background processes to a maximum of 4 (I just did this, can't speak to whether it will help yet)

The screens are painting much faster than before. The cache wipe had the greatest impact. I appreciate the help!!!

Andy

motty69

Reaction score
Well, it's certainly better. What I have done...

wiped the cache
set transitions to .5
set background processes to a maximum of 4 (I just did this, can't speak to whether it will help yet)

The screens are painting much faster than before. The cache wipe had the greatest impact. I appreciate the help!!!

Andy

+1 Was in the process of backing things up to get ready for a factory reset to get rid of the lag I was seeing. These settings made a big difference (had already wiped cache).

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD