My phone runs really slow!

mustangdroid

Reaction score
My phone is really slow and sluggish. It feels like a computer when its running with the CPU at 100%. When I press the home screen from any app it takes about 2 seconds to go to the home screen and the apps on the screen take a couple of seconds to appear. I downloaded an app to check the CPU usage and it shows 100% on both CPUs. Sometimes I have to turn off the phone just to make it better but after a few minutes it goes back being slow. Another problem is that when I type something, the words take a while to appear on the screen after I typed them. So what can I do? It seems that my sister in law's RAZR HD is the same way because she is always complaining on how slow it is. Also how can I get rid of the annoying reloading of Google chrome when I exit it and come back to it? Because it doesn't even refresh the page. Thanks!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
My phone is really slow and sluggish. It feels like a computer when its running with the CPU at 100%. When I press the home screen from any app it takes about 2 seconds to go to the home screen and the apps on the screen take a couple of seconds to appear. I downloaded an app to check the CPU usage and it shows 100% on both CPUs. Sometimes I have to turn off the phone just to make it better but after a few minutes it goes back being slow. Another problem is that when I type something, the words take a while to appear on the screen after I typed them. So what can I do? It seems that my sister in law's RAZR HD is the same way because she is always complaining on how slow it is. Also how can I get rid of the annoying reloading of Google chrome when I exit it and come back to it? Because it doesn't even refresh the page. Thanks!
I'm going to make the assumption that there is not a hardware or firmware problem on your phone. If that is in fact the case then there are a couple of things you can check/do:

--If you are running a task killer or task manager (3rd party) get rid of it. They almost always cause more problems than they solve or are worth.
--Check to see what apps you have running and what apps/widgets do you have syncing data, and how often do they sync. Facebook is a prime example of an app, depending on the settings, that will absolutely kill performance if it is running all the time. You can go to settings>apps>running and get a good idea of what apps are running. If you see apps running that you don't use then disable them if you can. Or, uninstall them if you can. You can also download a 3rd party app that will keep track of apps and the resources that they are using. I doubt that your phone is faulty...it is probably an app that is hogging the resources and causing the lag.
--What kind/how strong is you signal. If you are in a weak signal area and the apps you are running rely on downloaded data/content then that too can be the cause of a lag.
--Your last resort maybe the best...do a factory reset. That will wipe your phone clean and give you a fresh start. Add you apps back one of two at a time and observe to see if the lag begins again. If it does then one of the apps you just installed is probably causing the problem.

OP
M

mustangdroid

Reaction score
--No Task killer or anything like that.
--I dont have many apps running in the background, I basically have the basics like settings, smart service, audio effects, camera, email, etc. I'm showing 580MB of RAM used and 243MB free
-- I have strong signal, I always have 4g and full bars
-- I really dont want to do a factory reset but if this continues I will be force to.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Try wiping cache before you resort to a factory reset.

Turn the phone off.
Hold power + volume up + volume down
Release when a black screen appears with white words.
Use volume down to highlight recovery
Press volume up to select it.
At the dead android screen hold volume down and tap volume up
Scroll with volume to wipe cache
Power to select
Then reboot.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
M

mustangdroid

Reaction score
Will try that next. What are the effects of this? Does it erase anything?

Oh and how do I get rid of that chrome browser reloading the page like if it was refreshing but it doesn't refresh it?

samwifi

Reaction score
Will try that next. What are the effects of this? Does it erase anything?

Oh and how do I get rid of that chrome browser reloading the page like if it was refreshing but it doesn't refresh it?

Most of the lag in the RAZR hd maxx is due to the crappy Motorola launcher. Download nova launcher or go launcher ex and set your phone free... Believe me.. Give it shot.

sjmerlo

Reaction score
I downloaded Nova Launcher and cannot believe how much faster my phone responds. Thanks!

jojo_blu

Reaction score
Mine was runny so slow it got so aggravating.
I cleared the cache & it took care of the sluggishness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Droid Forums

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
How does this work? Is the "look" the same as stock but just runs better? Can it be uninstalled like other apps?

Can you give more details?

Not sure about the looks compared to your stock launcher. I don't have that phone. But it can be uninstalled & won't effect the stock launcher. But you may have to redo your screens

Tapped from a Nexus

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Nova launcher looks about the same, has more options but the circles widget will NOT work on third party launchers. No bug deal for me, but may be for you.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

recDNA

Reaction score
Download android assistant. It will tell you if any background apps are using excessive amounts of cpu (over 2 %). If so try uninstalling and reinstalling that app or clear its cache or uninstall it if you don't need it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

jojo_blu

Reaction score
I downloaded Nova Launcher and cannot believe how much faster my phone responds. Thanks!

I installed Nova Launcher / Nova Prime for $4. I don't notice any more speed at all & now my battery lasts half as long. I keep an eye out for apps running. i keep shutting down stuff like facebook etc just like i did before installing Nova. I dont do anything different than i did a week ago. My 32 hr battery life is horrible now. im thinking of uninstalling Nova.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you still have a lot of screens with lots of widgets on the stock home launcher while running another home launcher on top of that, it can bog down your phone and use more battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jojo_blu

Reaction score
If you still have a lot of screens with lots of widgets on the stock home launcher while running another home launcher on top of that, it can bog down your phone and use more battery.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

so what do i do to fix this? my battery life went down by 50%