Slingbox coming to Android tomorrow (06/21)

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Looking for more info... and its coming the 22nd, I put 21st in subject in reference to the tomorrow.

Slingbox Is that SlingPlayer Mobile for Android knocking at the door ;) ....?

UPDATE:

SlingPlayer Mobile for Android ready to entertain you for $30 starting tomorrow

By Chris Ziegler posted Jun 21st 2010 8:07PM

After a public beta spanning a couple months, Sling is rolling out the latest piece of its expanding SlingPlayer Mobile portfolio this week -- this time for Android, plugging the biggest coverage gap it currently has. This is the same app we recently had an opportunity to check out, but since that preview, we're happy to report that it's been massaged into a more stable, more usable setup -- gone are the disconnect crashes we'd had before. Furthermore, Sling claims they've specifically worked to improve load and response times with this version, and we have to say that the effort is noticeable -- this definitely feels like the fastest SlingPlayer Mobile we've used to date. It's officially available starting tomorrow from the Market in Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, the UK, and the US for $29.99. Follow the break for the full press release.

PRESS RELEASE

Sling Media Launches SlingPlayer Mobile for Android Smartphones

Application now delivers your home TV experience to Android phones anywhere you have mobile phone access

Foster City, Calif., – June 22, 2010 – Sling Media, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), announced today the availability of its SlingPlayer Mobile™ application for Android™ Smartphones. The all new application gives Android phone users easy access to their home TV experience anywhere they have mobile phone or Wi-Fi internet access. Now anyone with an Android phone never has to miss a favorite TV show when they're away from home.

"We're committed to the Android platform, and users of our new and improved SlingPlayer Mobile application will experience one of the most complete mobile television experiences available today," said John Gilmore, Sling Media Senior Vice President and General Manager. "Now the full spectrum of viewing, including local channels and sports teams, video on demand, pay per view and even control of their home DVR, is available to the growing number of people moving to Android."

How it Works
When in your mobile phone provider's area of 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi coverage and connected to a Slingbox® SOLO, PRO or PRO-HD, SlingPlayer Mobile makes it simple to watch and control your living room television at any time from any location. Watch live and recorded TV and schedule recordings of new programs from any Android Smartphone.

SlingPlayer Mobile for Android features faster startup and control response times, and it works among a variety of Android-based mobile phones in the United States, Canada and United Kingdom. It also has a new user interface that gives quick-touch access to the most critical remote controls and recently viewed channels.

Current Pricing and Availability
SlingPlayer Mobile Android is available now for download for $29.99* in the Android Market in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom and the United States.

*Price is in U.S. dollars. U.S. dollar to local currency exchange will be carried out at purchase via the customer's bank or credit card provider. Pricing and availability subject to local laws.
Visit http://www.slingbox.com/go/android for more information.

About Sling Media, Inc.
Sling Media, Inc., an affiliate of EchoStar Technologies L.L.C., which is a wholly owned subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), is the leading provider of video placeshifting products and services for consumers and television service providers. Sling Media's product family includes the internationally acclaimed, Emmy award-winning Slingbox™ that allows consumers to watch and control their living room television shows at any time, from any location, using internet-connected PCs, Macs, PDAs and smartphones. For more information, visit www.slingmedia.com.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/slingplayer-mobile-for-android-ready-to-entertain-you-for-30-st/

Last edited:

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Greatest android news i've heard in a while!!!!! now my android will be complete with everything i've wanted since i've gotten it :) first logmein and now slingplayer :) so happy, cant wait to spend this 30 bux :) hopefully works with my slingbox since it's one of the first ones they had out with the tv tuner built in it, or ill be buying a new one of them too haha.

thanks for the info shadez you the man.

aguilafan

Reaction score
FYI its already up in the Market...I'm installing on my Droid as we speak.

Metalunna

Reaction score
installed...I like it over the iphone version..most of the navigation buttons (like when scrolling through the guide) were pushed off to the side of the screen so you can actually see the guide.

still playing but so far I likey

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
You may want to try running it now, supposively its been activated early in some time zones..

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
You may want to try running it now, supposively its been activated early in some time zones..

Yeah shadez its working now :) im on the east coast, now if only i can get my slingbox to get a signal since i cant check my buddies since hes prob. sleeping would hate to wake him up with the loudness to his tv haha. since he never split his cables.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Is there a monthly fee or is the $30 a one time charge?

Breezer23

Reaction score
I hear Verizon blocks Slingbox Streams. How is this working over peoples 3G connection?

Secondly, If I get a Slingbox SOLEY for the purpose of "Slinging" to my Droid should I just get the Slingbox Solo or should I get the Pro-HD?

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
1) Their is no monthly fee..

2) Was posted above someone is using it, but dont know quality..

Luxferro

Reaction score
I hear Verizon blocks Slingbox Streams. How is this working over peoples 3G connection?

I just used it on my drive home from work. about 13-15 miles on 3G, no issues what so ever. Worked great. No pauses, crashes ect. Now I can drive and watch tv..lol

Just make sure you turn off wireless when driving, cause if it picks up a familiar SSID and tries to connect, it messes up the stream ;)

mrgoochio

Reaction score
Definitely cool.. but I can't remember the last time I've even turned my TV on. Internet streaming on my computer is 100x better as I hate commercials and can watch every show on my own time. Most times the shows come out on the internet before they air here since theyre uploaded immediately after aired on the east coast and I live in the west lol. I already own two slingboxes.. but I don't use them anymore. Used to use it for watching American TV when I lived overseas

cb2000a

Reaction score

I just used it on my drive home from work. about 13-15 miles on 3G, no issues what so ever. Worked great. No pauses, crashes ect. Now I can drive and watch tv..lol

This or texting while driving is not intelligent. Please use common sense.