Skype for Verizon = Useless

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Skype is not open source. Unless they publish their source, that would be quite illegal, and get you sued into oblivion.

bblood

Reaction score
I know....Its just lame that Verizon thinks they are doing us all a favor by letting us use a crippled app....An app that would have worked MUCH better if VZW never touched it.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, it worked great, in its Lite form.

Yes, I am being sarcastic.

joekinde

Reaction score
skype via fring works fine for me over wifi (& in airplane mode).

As to whether Skype would C&D Fring, I'm not sure that they care. You're still using the skype "network" and skype doesn't have to spend money developing the client. Skype is still trying to get critical mass on their "network" and will eventually need to figure out a way to make money on it, but it's not clear to me that locking out 3rd party clients would inhibit their ability to make money, at least at this stage.

I don't really understand why skype doesn't work directly (i.e. w/o fring) over over wifi, but my guess is that it's cheaper for them to develop a client which phones into their network (via VZN), rather than developing their own client which works over wifi. But who knows.

bblood

Reaction score
skype via fring works fine for me over wifi (& in airplane mode).

I don't really understand why skype doesn't work directly (i.e. w/o fring) over over wifi, but my guess is that it's cheaper for them to develop a client which phones into their network (via VZN), rather than developing their own client which works over wifi. But who knows.

huh?? Skype doesn't work over wifi on Verizon because Verizon won't let it use wifi. Skye has been around for a long time....using ONLY wifi. Skype on iphone uses wifi, skype on windows based PDAs and smart phones uses wifi. Skype and verizon have a "strategic partnership" which is how verizon was able to manipulate skype on their network...apps like fring are totally third party and not subject to verizons control.

nb2a

Reaction score
Who really sits around searching for wifi when you have 3g capabilities? Stop being cheap and get an upgraded data plan

There are times when you cannot get 3g coverage since Verizon is not taking care of their infrastructure like they used to due to so many layoffs.Therefore when you have wifi access at least you can make a voip call

When you cannot get a cell site to make a call think about that:icon_ banana:

thumper300zx

Reaction score
I downloaded the Skype app in the marketplace, and installed it on my Droid. I ran the app and it is severely crippled - no Skype over WiFi! What is the point?

I knew it was too good to be true w/Verizon... Skype app now uninstalled.

There is no way that Verizon will allow people to sit on WIFI and make free calls all over the place. They are allowing it over 3G and Skype to Skype is free. The only thing they can do is maybe come up with a monthly charge to allow unlimited via WIFI, but no way they are going to allow it for free. Think about it.

That's fine -- and that's also why it's useless.

Reaction score
Skype to Skype calls, although they use Verizon's voice network, do not use your plan minutes.

My brother is on a relief mission in Haiti. He can call my Droid's Skype any time using Skype on his laptop and we talk as if it were a regular cell phone call, only it's free. So the lack of wifi on Verizon's Skype app doesn't make it entirely useless.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Skype to Skype calls, although they use Verizon's voice network, do not use your plan minutes.

My brother is on a relief mission in Haiti. He can call my Droid's Skype any time using Skype on his laptop and we talk as if it were a regular cell phone call, only it's free. So the lack of wifi on Verizon's Skype app doesn't make it entirely useless.

Except for people like me who use wifi at home that have to choose between being able to surf at home via wifi and being able to get calls from my cousin overseas and have crappy data connection...

roadkit

Reaction score

Yeah, but if you are overseas in a place that does not have a Verizon-affiliated network, you can't use wifi to call anyone. I was recently in Zambia and it would have been great to use Skype on my Droid to make calls to the U.S. without having to lug my laptop around.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
This whole no calls over wifi thing is pretty disappointing. :\

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

calpilot7

Reaction score
Who really sits around searching for wifi when you have 3g capabilities? Stop being cheap and get an upgraded data plan

Because if you actually travel Verizon has NO 3G out of the USA ....so your phone is as useful as a fricken brick. Are people that reply "oh just use 3g" really so stupid or are they Verizon plants? Verizon needs to fix the skype wifi issue as it's worthless now for many customers.