Since it's been a couple weeks now, how are your 800mhz Droids holding up?

808Architect

Reaction score
CAP201002030158.jpg

Using Bugless Beast @ 950...upgraded from 800 and found that it was even more stable. Other reason for upgrade was the camcorder tweak. My wife has a stock Droid and side by side comparison bears proof, my droid is a beast.

Jer

Reaction score
Man, all this talk has got me really leaning towards doing this. Couple of n00b questions though. I see some saying to update your apps before doing so... does this mean that you either can't upgrade your apps later or that the automatic notification doesn't work? Is there a chance that some of my apps or future apps may not work if I do either BB or smoked glass? Also, I thought I was leaning towards 800 because I haven't seen a single post about instability which is key for me and I was hearing some mixed reviews on anything north of 900 so I'm not sure. It seems that the people who have luck eith 900/950 claim it's even more stable while people who don't have luck going that fast claim that the instability is increased from 800. So, what could be causing it? If there's a higher chance of instability above 800 I will stick with 800 since everyone says it's like having a new phone or better which sounds good enough to me. I don't hear anyone saying that going from 800 to 900 is like having another new phone so I assume the gains are pretty minimal in that 100mHz.

Thanks for the info. One of these days I will decide I have all my questions answered and am ready to take the plunge.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Man, all this talk has got me really leaning towards doing this. Couple of n00b questions though. I see some saying to update your apps before doing so... does this mean that you either can't upgrade your apps later or that the automatic notification doesn't work? Is there a chance that some of my apps or future apps may not work if I do either BB or smoked glass? Also, I thought I was leaning towards 800 because I haven't seen a single post about instability which is key for me and I was hearing some mixed reviews on anything north of 900 so I'm not sure. It seems that the people who have luck eith 900/950 claim it's even more stable while people who don't have luck going that fast claim that the instability is increased from 800. So, what could be causing it? If there's a higher chance of instability above 800 I will stick with 800 since everyone says it's like having a new phone or better which sounds good enough to me. I don't hear anyone saying that going from 800 to 900 is like having another new phone so I assume the gains are pretty minimal in that 100mHz.

Thanks for the info. One of these days I will decide I have all my questions answered and am ready to take the plunge.

Have you checked out this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-app-roots-ocs-multi-touches-tethers-5-a.html

I rooted and I now install new roms using the update.zip method and it leaves your data/programs in place. Installing new roms via a nandroid restore general wipes your data. But you just do a backup of your data before you do the new rom and then you restore your data after that. The apps you paid for a attached to your gmail account and can not be lost.

2. I've heard of no one having any difficulty with installed or additional apps using any of the new roms (BB, Sholes, Glass, etc.).

3. All chips are not the same. There are minute manufacturing difference. Some chips will run 1Ghz and higher and some won't. I've been totally stable at 800, 900, 950 and 1ghz. I now run Beast 950 because it comes with the ability to run 550, 800, 950 built in.

4. I personally could not see or feel the difference between 800 and 900. I probably don't see a difference in 950 either, but I like running there. My moto has always been, anything worth doing is worth over doing.

Good luck

Jer

Reaction score

Have you checked out this thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-app-roots-ocs-multi-touches-tethers-5-a.html

I rooted and I now install new roms using the update.zip method and it leaves your data/programs in place. Installing new roms via a nandroid restore general wipes your data. But you just do a backup of your data before you do the new rom and then you restore your data after that. The apps you paid for a attached to your gmail account and can not be lost.

2. I've heard of no one having any difficulty with installed or additional apps using any of the new roms (BB, Sholes, Glass, etc.).

3. All chips are not the same. There are minute manufacturing difference. Some chips will run 1Ghz and higher and some won't. I've been totally stable at 800, 900, 950 and 1ghz. I now run Beast 950 because it comes with the ability to run 550, 800, 950 built in.

4. I personally could not see or feel the difference between 800 and 900. I probably don't see a difference in 950 either, but I like running there. My moto has always been, anything worth doing is worth over doing.

Good luck

I haven't seen that thread for $5 but will check it out now. I heard about sholes but assumed it was another image file like BBeast and smoked glass. Do I need to root first or just pay the $5 and it does it all? I don't need a lot of fancy things with this just OC is primarily what I'm interested in. With this sholes option can I set the idle clock speed like I've seen some talk about? I like the idea of 800/950 when running and 150/250 when the screen is off for prolonging battery life. Just want to make sure it doesn't affect anything I have currently or how I use the phone including apps and app updating for instance.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Good luck

I haven't seen that thread for $5 but will check it out now. I heard about sholes but assumed it was another image file like BBeast and smoked glass. Do I need to root first or just pay the $5 and it does it all? I don't need a lot of fancy things with this just OC is primarily what I'm interested in. With this sholes option can I set the idle clock speed like I've seen some talk about? I like the idea of 800/950 when running and 150/250 when the screen is off for prolonging battery life. Just want to make sure it doesn't affect anything I have currently or how I use the phone including apps and app updating for instance.

Well I haven't read the entire thread about the $5 deal (because I'm already rooted and oc'd), but from what I read, it appears you pay them the $5 and they do the whole deal and provide you with over-the-air updates as they improve the rom and other features. Sound almost too good to be true. It's a steal a twice that price, heck at 10 times that price. IMHO

Jer

Reaction score

Good luck

Well I haven't read the entire thread about the $5 deal (because I'm already rooted and oc'd), but from what I read, it appears you pay them the $5 and they do the whole deal and provide you with over-the-air updates as they improve the rom and other features. Sound almost too good to be true. It's a steal a twice that price, heck at 10 times that price. IMHO

Yeah, I'm reading it now because for $5 it would be nice to be done with it plus if they send updates that mean more functionality that's even better. Since you already know how that's one thing but for someone like me who can read basic instruction but would need to read all of this it's certainly much easier to just go the app route and have it all done w/o reading/doing anything.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
Guys...I have been reading stuff over and over and I still don't know where to start...

So please, run down the steps for me. Basically all I want is to run 800mhz with setcpu and that's it.

Can I root with this guide:

Obtaining Root | Root Your Droid

And then after that, do I use sholes, bugless beast, etc. to get 800mhz? That's where I'm confused.

I think I'm just used to my old iphone. Jailbreaking took like 20 seconds and it was literally 3 steps.

jasonb

Reaction score
just installed the BB 7.3 last night. i am running my CPU at 800 max, and 250 when in standby/sleep. took the phone off the charger at 8:30 AM this morning and now at 8:45 PM i am still at 80% battery. i didn't really do much with it today though. it sat in my pocket idle pretty much all day while i was at work and then i played some music for about 20 minutes on the way home from work. seems good to me.

Enter

Reaction score
Guys...I have been reading stuff over and over and I still don't know where to start...

So please, run down the steps for me. Basically all I want is to run 800mhz with setcpu and that's it.

And then after that, do I use sholes, bugless beast, etc. to get 800mhz? That's where I'm confused.

I think I'm just used to my old iphone. Jailbreaking took like 20 seconds and it was literally 3 steps.

There are two things you can do.
Take the easy way out and just download sholesmod updater on the market place, it will root and flash for you.
Or
You can get to know the forums a little better, start with the most recent guides and eventually one day take the plunge. I remember being scared to root my phone, then did it with ease because of the guides from this great community. I was scared ****less when I decided to flash, especially when it looked like my phone froze but it didn't. But I am confident now and I don't regret it.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score

There are two things you can do.
Take the easy way out and just download sholesmod updater on the market place, it will root and flash for you.
Or
You can get to know the forums a little better, start with the most recent guides and eventually one day take the plunge. I remember being scared to root my phone, then did it with ease because of the guides from this great community. I was scared ****less when I decided to flash, especially when it looked like my phone froze but it didn't. But I am confident now and I don't regret it.

Interesting. Anyone recommend that app from the market?