Couple questions about brand-new droid

jnev

Reaction score
First off, I just got the droid yesterday and I love it. amazing phone. I have a couple questions about how to change some of the settings.

1. I always had my old blackberry on vibrate. If I got a call, email, text, any kind of notification at all my phone would vibrate. the only thing I've been able to make the droid do is vibrate when I'm getting a call. the phone does not vibrate when I get a text or email. how can I set a system-wide vibrate?

2. I really like how the gmail app is integrated with gmail, but I want it to work through imap and poll for new email every 10 minutes or so. I set up the same gmail account through the e-mail app and it accomplishes those features, but it's not integrated with gmail in the sense that I can't tag my emails with certain labels. Plus, the gmail app just looks better. is there any way I can do the same in the gmail app?

thanks

OP
J

jnev

Reaction score
can anyone help me? it seems to me like it should be obvious, but I can't seem to figure it out...

Stigy

Reaction score
1. You need to go into application and setup the notification separately. All applications should have similar menus (Menu > Settings > Notifications). Somewhere under the settings is a Notifications section that should have a Vibrate checkbox. Check that and it will vibrate unless on silent.

2. AFAIK you cannot POLL using the GMail app. The best you can do is turn off Sync Mail in the accounts setting and then just periodically go into the GMail application and hit Menu > Refresh.

Hope that helps.

ATLbellygirl

Reaction score
Hi Jnev-

I think I can help you w/ part 1 of your question. You can set your emails and texts to vibrate when they come in. Just go to each application (gmail, email, messaging), and once there, press the Droid menu button. From there, select "settings", then find the heading "notification settings." You'll see an option for "select ringtone." If you want your Droid to just vibrate when gmail email, other email, or texts come in, choose the "silent" ringtone option. Also under "notification settings", there's a box you can press if you want to enable the vibrate feature. Do this for each app, and I think you should be all set. : )

I'm sorry, I don't know about #2. Hopefully someone else can help out w/ that!

M

OP
J

jnev

Reaction score
1. Guess I should have been more clear about that, my apologies. I know I can set each app to vibrate manually. What I'd like is a system-wide setting to set everything on vibrate. So that if I want I can set everything to ring (or some kind of audible notification) or to vibrate all with one simple, system-wide setting. Maybe some kind of third-party app I don't know about?

2. Bummer. Anyone know why Google/Motorola decided to do it this way? The e-mail app does this without a problem, but the gmail app can't...

ATLbellygirl

Reaction score
re: #1 - From what I've read, it doesn't seem like there's anything currently set up in the Droid to do that. I was also curious about setting custom profiles (BB-style) to where I could pick and choose which apps I wanted "on", which I wanted only to vibrate, how many times, etc., but I was told there wasn't a native profile feature installed. Hopefully they'll come out w/ an app for that.

TomN

Reaction score
If you press down on the volume rocker you will eventually hit the vibrate-only mode. I know it's not like the BB's profile, but it's what I do when I want my Droid to vibrate.

ATLbellygirl

Reaction score
TomN - you rock! I love learning new Droid tidbits every day : ) What a handy way to set it to silent mode or go into vibrate mode. Thanks!

lemodular

Reaction score
you can set up Gmail as a pop (or IMAP?) in the default email app. That way it will poll rather than push. I think you should be able to stop sync at the gmail app and still poll using the email app.

OP
J

jnev

Reaction score
If you press down on the volume rocker you will eventually hit the vibrate-only mode. I know it's not like the BB's profile, but it's what I do when I want my Droid to vibrate.

Yes but that puts the droid into silent mode (same as going into settings and checking silent mode), so it won't vibrate unless someone is calling you. I'm pretty sure that texts or emails won't vibrate.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
You need a profile app which is similar to Profiles on a BB. You can find one on the Market. I don't have any recommendations for you, but search around on the forums as this has been asked in the past. Search for something Profiles and you should find an app or two.

lemodular

Reaction score
You can set each event to vibrate by going into the menu of each event and check "vibrate" fron the settings. Keep in mind, can also have different volume settings per event.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. Guess I should have been more clear about that, my apologies. I know I can set each app to vibrate manually. What I'd like is a system-wide setting to set everything on vibrate. So that if I want I can set everything to ring (or some kind of audible notification) or to vibrate all with one simple, system-wide setting. Maybe some kind of third-party app I don't know about?

2. Bummer. Anyone know why Google/Motorola decided to do it this way? The e-mail app does this without a problem, but the gmail app can't...

App called "Quick Settings" will give you the option toggle between Ring, Ring/Vibrate, Vibrate, Silent. It's a system wide control setting. Also has toggles for wi-fi, network, bluetooth, etc.

Edit: set the icon on homescreen and it's all one touch.

luckmylife

Reaction score

App called "Quick Settings" will give you the option toggle between Ring, Ring/Vibrate, Vibrate, Silent. It's a system wide control setting. Also has toggles for wi-fi, network, bluetooth, etc.

Edit: set the icon on homescreen and it's all one touch.

I've got to remember the Quck Settings app for when I get my Droid, system wide control settings is vital and I guess it's something I'll miss from my Blackberry. Ahh I want my Droid!! I've now got a nice long list of all the stuff I'm gonna put on it....