Silent Mode -phone goes there often - missing calls

MOTODROID JON

Reaction score
earpiece only after charge, no speaker

I just read in another forum that the Droid goes into silent mode when you plug in the usb charger and then disconnect it.

Hmmm...

This may be what I am experiancing... which is equally if not more frustrating.

My phone will act like it's in silent mode after i charge it (sometimes btw, not always) however if you go to turn the volume up, it's already up... meaning its not in silent mode. After further investigation I figured out the sound is coming through the earpiece only and not the speaker... after a reboot it goes back to normal...

anyone experiancing that?

JLB09

Reaction score
I experienced this the first two nights but then when I downloaded the Night Ringer app it solved the problem. My phone does not go into silent mode at any time now.

OP
samredman

samredman

Reaction score
I didn't know what was causing it... but you may have figured out the mystery. I found that the only solutions were a couple apps which protected me so I don't miss calls. Night Ringer app and silent mode jammer.

Last edited:

GrammySue

Reaction score
My droid has completely went silent twice... When I use the deskdock to charge it. I think the dock software has a bug. it permenently puts it in silent mode and I couldn't get it out. I had to Shift+ ALT+ DEL to reboot and get the sound back. Works fine until I use the dock charger.

n0cturne74

Reaction score
My droid has completely went silent twice... When I use the deskdock to charge it. I think the dock software has a bug. it permenently puts it in silent mode and I couldn't get it out. I had to Shift+ ALT+ DEL to reboot and get the sound back. Works fine until I use the dock charger.
I don't think the desk dock causes any volume issues.. At least mine doesn't and I've been using it from day one. I even tried to get it to go into silent mode as I was typing this. I unplugged the usb from the power while it was still docked and plugged the usb into my laptop and it still has sound.

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
The mixer in Volume Control app should have been included by default. Next, volume rocker on the side should then control master volume. It just makes no sense to me that the volume control is mapped by default to RINGER volume. Who changes THAT all the time?

Here's what we need: an application that maps the volume rocker to the MASTER volume in the phone. Regardless of what's going on, it will turn everything up and down.

hinky

Reaction score
I just read in another forum that the Droid goes into silent mode when you plug in the usb charger and then disconnect it.

YES - I've noticed this too. When I disconnect the phone from the PC this will happen at times, also up a shutdown and startup. I can't explain why.

In addition, my shift-alt-delete doesn't reboot my droid either.

Odd stuff here but I am having this sudden random switch on of the silent mode on the Motorola Droid. Not good at all.

droider4life

Reaction score
I just wanted to throw this out there. I noticed a couple people in thus thread wanted an app that would require a confirmation before a volume change. I use "ring guard" its fee in the market and it does just that it confirms u want a volume change just in case u bump the volume rocker it wont allow it till u confirm it.

cuskit

Reaction score
I just wanted to throw this out there. I noticed a couple people in thus thread wanted an app that would require a confirmation before a volume change. I use "ring guard" its fee in the market and it does just that it confirms u want a volume change just in case u bump the volume rocker it wont allow it till u confirm it.
I thought ring guard would be good. It wasn't. I had several issues with my phone after installing ring guard. Muted calls. No sound when calls came in. Worse of all - phone would ring but the screen would be locked on dark - I literally couldn't answer the call! :( I uninstalled and the problems went away. This was over six weeks ago - perhaps they've installed an update since. It was theoretically the perfect solution to missed calls as a result of the ringer volume being silenced inadvertently. I'll have to check and see if they updated since. mike

droider4life

Reaction score
I thought ring guard would be good. It wasn't. I had several issues with my phone after installing ring guard. Muted calls. No sound when calls came in. Worse of all - phone would ring but the screen would be locked on dark - I literally couldn't answer the call! :( I uninstalled and the problems went away. This was over six weeks ago - perhaps they've installed an update since. It was theoretically the perfect solution to missed calls as a result of the ringer volume being silenced inadvertently. I'll have to check and see if they updated since. mike

U know now that u mention it my phone did exactly that today.... I had a hard time answering the phone cuz I couldn't see the slider then it showed then it left. I have had this a time or two. I have actually been running ring guard for almost two months I just didn't think it would have been that. I'm gonna uninstall it for a few days and see it solves my problems. Thanks!!

Edit: I have had the no ringtone thing lately as well and then check and there was a ringtone set. Uninstalled!

Last edited:

AAM

Reaction score
Silent Mode

I have read these posts with interests. NONE describes my problems with Silent Mode.

My phone goes to silent mode. I use the rocker switch to turn the noise up, and then after 1-5 seconds, the phone automatically reduces the volume to silent again. As I watch AND without touching the phone [please don't post saying that I am not seeing this, I have been watching it for 2 days reproducibly].

I have installed all of the silent phone modulators available including Silent Mode Jammer which just produces a cacophany of vibrates as the two actions fight each other. Silent Mode wins!

I am going to reset my phone to factory settings and start again.

JESSLYMK

Reaction score
I was having the same problem. I've had the phone since day one. I.figured I was inadvertently hitting the slide to make silent. I've been more careful and it gas not happened. Now the bigger issue missed calls. It took me awhile to realize this was happen because people were not leaving messages.
I was ready to return my phone even though I loved out because that is unacceptable, but I went to the verizon store first. Apparently there is this code that was not on my account I'm not sure what it was but it has solved that problem. I mean I was missing 3or 4 calls a day.
I have a feeling it may be the code that the verizon tech talks about in the thread that's pinned above in the board. I would try that first and if that didn't work I would talk to someone at a store, it took the guy 2 seconds to figure out my problem. I don't think I even finished my sentence.

Hope that helps!

JESSLYMK

Reaction score
I have read these posts with interests. NONE describes my problems with Silent Mode.

My phone goes to silent mode. I use the rocker switch to turn the noise up, and then after 1-5 seconds, the phone automatically reduces the volume to silent again. As I watch AND without touching the phone [please don't post saying that I am not seeing this, I have been watching it for 2 days reproducibly].

I have installed all of the silent phone modulators available including Silent Mode Jammer which just produces a cacophany of vibrates as the two actions fight each other. Silent Mode wins!

I am going to reset my phone to factory settings and start again.
I've seen that happen it was before the update though. you may want to try a factory reset before you give up with that problem. . Like I said I had that issue but the .°c.10q update fixed it for me.

atr13089

Reaction score
Mine is going into complete silent mode constantly on its own even when its just sitting on the table i go to unlock it and it has a little crossed out bell in the notification bar any ideas?

Last edited:

Pluggdd

Reaction score
Missing calls when I come back from Office and still have phone on silent.

I have had multiple instances when I missed calls as my phone was on silent and I did not realize it. This is typical as I either keep my phone on Silent or Vibrate mode whenever I am in office. However, when I come back home, I want to phone on normal mode but I generally forget to switch the profile. This issue becomes more critical in case I put the phone on charging mode. The reason is that by the time I get back home, my smartphone (like all) is almost discharged and I need to put it on charging.

So I developed an app that could help me. The App was an idea that actually generated from my own foolishness! One fine night, I came back from office dead tired as I used to be every day. It was post midnight and still my wife was waiting for dinner. She was quite upset and worried as my cell had switched off in the evening and I had not charged it.

Fearing the number of emails that I may have missed during the time my phone was off, I immediately put it on charging. Meanwhile, my wife took out the dinner and was warming it in the microwave. This did not mean that she was not angry anymore, she had asked me a million times to take the car charger with me but I kept on forgetting it. As the typical believer in Murphy's Law, I knew that something else would go wrong and it did go wrong. As soon as the phone switched on, as it was charging, it started to beep and vibrate due to the missed calls and emails. I saw a look in my wife's eyes that she was just about to throw my phone in the dustbin.

So I got up from the dinner table and rushed to make my phone silent. As I still did not want to miss my boss's call, I put the phone on a vibration mode. What I did not realize that in a hurry, I had left the phone nearly on the edge of the table. I went back to the dinner table, tried to talk cute stuff with my wife, just to chill her (which I was successfully able to). Once the dinner was over, we headed back to our bedroom, leaving the phone on the table.

The next morning, I got up and as a habit tried to reach for my phone on the side table. When I did not find it there, I remembered that I had kept it for charging in the drawing room, so I went out. And there I saw my phone, with the touchscreen broken and lying on the floor. At first I thought it was my wife who was still angry and broke my phone, but sure she is not a maniac, so what happened?

Then is struck me, my phone had been vibrating all night due to calls and emails and slowly reached the edge of the table and fell of. I checked with a lot of friends of mine and realized that a lot of them had the similar experience. I just thought, I will switch of the vibrations each night . However, this was impractical, I could not remember to swich of the vibrator all the time an neither could I switch of the vibrator permanently (as it was a very good tool when the phone was in my pocket).

This is how the idea for an App that could suppress the vibrations of my phone when I put it on charging mode, came!.

Now I do not need to worry about either my phone being silent or getting scratched on the surface.

You can download the app from Google Play, just search for either 'Scratch Protector' or Pluggdd. Believe me you would not find it difficult to look for it as it the only App with this name or capability!