Help! No silent mode after recent update

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
I'm re-posting this due to my previous post somehow got merged with another thread.

So, I updated my phone last night when I got the message that there was one. However, I now no longer have the ability to put my phone into total silent mode, the lowest I can go is Vibrate. I've even tried long-pressing the power button and selecting Silent from the "power off" menu, but that still only goes to vibrate. I work at a spa and I can't have my phone making any noise if I get a call, yet I still like to use my phone at work.

Have they just really hidden the silent function, or did they remove it?

eliassami5

Reaction score
this is one downside to 2.2, you have to choose between vibrate or silent. Go into your sound settings and click on vibrate, it will ask you always, never, only when on silent. you have to choose never in order to have the option of silent on the volume rocker.

Axium

Reaction score
there's a widget that you can use to toggle between ring/vibrate/silent which i used to use but i went back to 2.1 for now still..

hobojoe196061

Reaction score
there is an option that says "Only when not in Silent Mode" thats the setting you want, it will be like it was pre 2.2 update

edit:

my bad i just tried to put my phone on vibrate then realized there wasn't one....hahaha why google why is this gone..

Last edited:
OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
Well that sux... hopefully they will address that issue soon.

EDIT: Well I guess I can live with the "Only when NOT in Silent Mode" Cause then I can have it vibrate when it rings.

eliassami5

Reaction score

mikeyd08

Reaction score
The widget is called "ringer toggle widget" free in the market. Install it and put the widget in your screen. You'll get a button that switches between ringer, vibrate, and silent with each press. Still seems to work after the 2.2 update.

Axium

Reaction score
ah yes, sorry, thought i was in the hacking section. but there are a few toggle widgets, i personally like SilentMode OnOff, it switches between all 3 states with just a tap on the widget. really nice.

lokiju

Reaction score
This is one of my biggest annoyances because I want the separation of the modes.

When I head into meetings I want to quickly set it to vibrate only.

At night I don't want it to vibrate at all.

I have to always go into sounds and then change it between vibrate always and never.

Really pissing me off.

I wish there was a widget toggle where I could pick between having it only vibrate with one touch, silence all sounds and vibrate and then silence all sounds but the phone ringer but also disable all vibrate.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
i personally like SilentMode OnOff, it switches between all 3 states with just a tap on the widget. really nice.

The loss of this functionality with 2.2 has been the biggest annoyance for me as well. While it's not quite as convenient as using the volume rocker, the SilentMode widget is great. Switches from volume on to vibrate to silent with ease on 2.2. Thanks for pointing it out.

mixtape

Reaction score
Honestly, what was Google thinking?

I like the ability to quickly put my phone into silent or vibe depending on the situation. I don't see why it's necessary to go through menus deep in settings to get partially what we had in 2.1 OS. The only thing I can think of was that some inexperienced users complained about missing phone calls because they confused silent with vibe. This is my greatest complaint to the update beside the fact that flash 10 is still not on my Droid.

Though don't let me make 2.2 sound like a bad update. So far it's not bad. Like the changes to the camera.