Silent Mode & Vibrating

ConcoursRider

Reaction score
I am a "newbie" to this forum and I did search this question, but couldn't find the answer. I recently switched to the Droid X from my Blackberry and so far so good. With my BB, I was able to select a "vibrate" mode which vibrated everything and silent mode which is self explanatory. But it seems with the Droid X, it has a silent mode and maybe I'm screwing up, but in order for me to have texts, notifications, calls, etc vibrate, I have to click the vibrate box. But when the phone is on "sound" mode, it continues to vibrate and make sounds when I receive texts. It seems that if I don't have the vibrate box selected, I won't be notified until I look at the phone.

Is there anyway I can have an all vibrate mode and an all sound mode like my BB did? I consider myself somewhat of tech savvy person, so this is embarrassing for me to ask this question as I've tried to figure this out on my own. :blush:

Thanks,

Chris

OP
C

ConcoursRider

Reaction score
Judging by the lack of responses, there's nothing I can do I'm guessing??

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
There isn't really smudging like this, that is all or nothing like you want. You can change some settings for certain apps, do it does certain thing, but the volume rocker was changed when android 2.2 was released. You can only have vibrate or silent on the rocker.

Sent from my Droid

OP
C

ConcoursRider

Reaction score
Well that's super!! :icon_rolleyes: Any chance that there's an app to correct this?

Thanks for the responses.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
It requires rooting your phone and installing a rom with that added in. Afaik, there isn't a X rom yet with it has it would probably be hard to add without building from source.

Sent from my Droid

LaniL

Reaction score
I am a "newbie" to this forum and I did search this question, but couldn't find the answer. I recently switched to the Droid X from my Blackberry and so far so good. With my BB, I was able to select a "vibrate" mode which vibrated everything and silent mode which is self explanatory. But it seems with the Droid X, it has a silent mode and maybe I'm screwing up, but in order for me to have texts, notifications, calls, etc vibrate, I have to click the vibrate box. But when the phone is on "sound" mode, it continues to vibrate and make sounds when I receive texts. It seems that if I don't have the vibrate box selected, I won't be notified until I look at the phone.

Is there anyway I can have an all vibrate mode and an all sound mode like my BB did? I consider myself somewhat of tech savvy person, so this is embarrassing for me to ask this question as I've tried to figure this out on my own. :blush:

Thanks,

Chris

put it on silent mode... and than hold down the volume button on the side of your phone until it vibrates twice.. that should put it in vibrate mode :)

Atook

Reaction score
This is one feature I miss since 2.2 came out. I'm running a custom ROM (CM6.1 RC4) on my D1 and still can't get what the OP is looking for.

I'm sure that smarter people than me made the decision to pull it out of 2.2, but I still haven't been able to figure out how I'm supposed to accomplish going from ring to vibrate to silent with the rocker button. Seems like a flaw to me..

duderanch11

Reaction score
i have the htc incredible, and on my phone it goes vibrate > silent > volume & sound modes for the rocker. Also, check email and messaging settings to set whether or not your phone vibrates with sound on those applications. Also, my alarm will go off even if my phone is on silent or turned completely off, so if that's the problem that you are having when your phone goes off in school, there is also a setting within the alarm app to make the alarm only go off when you're not in silent mode.

This all refers to original software on my phone, no new apps or rooting