*sighs* about to pull my hair out trying to get a simple root done

Phoenixeternal26

Reaction score
Hello everyone.. I've been reading over the posts that most of you have some graciously posted on here for us noobs.. but here is my dilemma! :-(
I have tried almost every method I have read in various forums in regards to rooting my moto droid 2.1 stock. I'm wanting just a simple root, so i can throw the froyo 2.2 rom w/ the 1.3 ghz kernel.. I'm at the point of letting someone remotely access my laptop just to make things easier.. as well as less repetitiveness for most of you, because I know your sick of repeating yourself about this effing root 2.1 lol. PLLLLEEAASEE the easiest and briefest explanation would be amazing. Further details.. : i have sprecovery flashed. I have all the necessary files.. for some reason its just moving on to the next step. :*(

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Read my thread, frist link in sig.

OP
P

Phoenixeternal26

Reaction score
how do i know if i have the right update.zip file to root 2.1? I know your probably tired of explaining all this man.. when i reboot into spr.. i do the factory restore,wipe cache and then when i press install (depreciated) it tells me somethings blocked

Reaction score
how do i know if i have the right update.zip file to root 2.1? I know your probably tired of explaining all this man.. when i reboot into spr.. i do the factory restore,wipe cache and then when i press install (depreciated) it tells me somethings blocked

Did you do "allow zip installation" first?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Did you do "allow zip installation" first?

I got stuck for 30 minutes on that step back a while ago. You never forget that step again!

Phoenix...you're on the right track. You've read, gotten stumped, now are asking. Folks will get you there, step by step.

OP
P

Phoenixeternal26

Reaction score
you guys are awesome.. thank you for being so patient! as far as the "allow zip" that option doesn't appear.. I see "rom from sd card" Allow update.zip install" and Allow update.zip install(depreciated)... am I missing a step or a file somewhere?! I know this is like supppppper trusting, but I really am about to start pulling what hair I have left out lol. I see all the hype and excitement about uber-fast phones and I want one damn it! lol

Reaction score
you guys are awesome.. thank you for being so patient! as far as the "allow zip" that option doesn't appear.. I see "rom from sd card" Allow update.zip install" and Allow update.zip install(depreciated)... am I missing a step or a file somewhere?! I know this is like supppppper trusting, but I really am about to start pulling what hair I have left out lol. I see all the hype and excitement about uber-fast phones and I want one damn it! lol

Did you do the "Allow update.zip install" option before trying to actually install the Zip?

OP
P

Phoenixeternal26

Reaction score
*goes and sits in corner & puts dunce cap on* lol I read a few places that I was just supposed to restore to factory - wipe cache partition - then install zip ( depreciated ) didn't see/read where I was just supposed to go down the line more or less. Is the update.zip file ( for basic stock 2.1 w/root) a big file.. like 125mbs? by chance?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
*goes and sits in corner & puts dunce cap on* lol I read a few places that I was just supposed to restore to factory - wipe cache partition - then install zip ( depreciated ) didn't see/read where I was just supposed to go down the line more or less. Is the update.zip file ( for basic stock 2.1 w/root) a big file.. like 125mbs? by chance?

There are various files out there that are renamed to update.zip and placed on the root of your card. The file you are grabbing should tell you what it is before you go to get it. ie: grab the back to stock file here...or go grab the 2.2 file there.

The best bet is to visit the thread with directions you want to use, follow it step by step, and if it doesn't work post in that same thread. Those who created the guide, and quite likely others too, will chime in and guide you.

OP
P

Phoenixeternal26

Reaction score
still no luck :-(( :-(( i don't understand how I can be missing something when I'm following the directions to the T.Anyone ok with remote access?!? I'm at the end of my witts lol. Exhausted all other possibilities lol. Or at least a messenger service so we can talk and walk through it together step by step.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Did you find someone to help you and get it all worked out or are you still needing help? If not, I'm willing to add you to gtalk and chat you through it.