Should I keep the thunderbolt?

nickguz

Reaction score
I just got the thunderbolt today and I really like it. I got the extended battery, so battery is not an issue. So im wondering if I should return it and get the bionic when it comes out or keep it? The only advantage the bionic has is dual core? This is the first phone with htc sense I had and im really liking it. I think its better than motoblur. Ive had a droid 2 before this, so I know what motoblur is like. Well anyway, do you think the bionic is worth the dual core, or would you recommend me keeping the thunderbolt?

Klaista2k

Reaction score
I'm asking myself almost the same thing...

Excpet I would return it for the Droid 3.

The Thunderbolt is a sweet device but I really feel like I need a keyboard!

OP
N

nickguz

Reaction score
I can type perfectly fine with the touchscreen. I definitely would want 4g, even though the droid 3 looks pretty cool. Im trying to decide between htc sense and dual core.
Edit: but in your situation, id say keep the thunderbolt. IMO its a much better device, you will get much better at typing as you use it.

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
Imho HTC is the only Android device for me. The main question for you is, is dual core important to you? Are you a heavy phone gamer? Do you do heavy multitasking? Do you care about just having the newest thing out there? If so then yeah the bionic will def be worth looking into. If not, the thunderbolt is definitely the next best! I mean, they both will have 4g and they will both be blazing through the internet. I love my thunderbolt, def. Be keeping mine till my next upgrade next September. I'll switch to a dual core then (unless quadcore is somehow already in). as of now, I find no use for a dual core for me. I mean id like to have it, but not worth giving up my tbolt for it just yet. If it was for the Vigor, it would be a different story!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using DroidForums

patfactorx

Reaction score
I like my droid 3 just cuz Motorola makes nicer screens

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Bionic also has HDMI out and the webtop feature, which could be a decent way around "legal" tethering (not sure if AT&T closed that gap). Those are big selling points for me, plus I just feel like a dual core is going to have a longer EOL.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Not many apps can really benefit from a dual core processor right now. As far as speed goes, the thunderbolt is still amazingly fast. Especially with stock android. Also, the Bionic will probably have a locked bootloader. So your choice ^^

googlelover

Reaction score
Imho HTC is the only Android device for me. The main question for you is, is dual core important to you? Are you a heavy phone gamer? Do you do heavy multitasking? Do you care about just having the newest thing out there? If so then yeah the bionic will def be worth looking into. If not, the thunderbolt is definitely the next best! I mean, they both will have 4g and they will both be blazing through the internet. I love my thunderbolt, def. Be keeping mine till my next upgrade next September. I'll switch to a dual core then (unless quadcore is somehow already in). as of now, I find no use for a dual core for me. I mean id like to have it, but not worth giving up my tbolt for it just yet. If it was for the Vigor, it would be a different story!

Quad cores should be coming out early next year, with a15 quads at the end of the year, if im right, and OP Personally, I'd go with the Bionic, MUCH better battery life if you got an extended for that phone, dual core will keep you up to date for the 2 years you have the phone, if you keep it that long, little more ram, HDMI out (not sure if thunderbolt has it), but if the hardware specs aren't that important then I'd say go to the store when the Bionic comes out and compare it side by side to your Tbolt and make the choice yourself.
Edit:^^ Saying apps aren't optimized for dual core now as a reason for not getting it is like saying don't buy the computer with a hyperthreaded quad core because software isn't optimized for it yet, just future proofs your purchase more...

kookk

Reaction score
I'm keeping my bolt well past my February upgrade. I wont upgrade till my TB can no longer keep up, because if it is keeping up, there's no point in getting a new phone.

Sent from my cyanobolt

OP
N

nickguz

Reaction score
Quad cores should be coming out early next year, with a15 quads at the end of the year, if im right, and OP Personally, I'd go with the Bionic, MUCH better battery life if you got an extended for that phone, dual core will keep you up to date for the 2 years you have the phone, if you keep it that long, little more ram, HDMI out (not sure if thunderbolt has it), but if the hardware specs aren't that important then I'd say go to the store when the Bionic comes out and compare it side by side to your Tbolt and make the choice yourself.
Edit:^^ Saying apps aren't optimized for dual core now as a reason for not getting it is like saying don't buy the computer with a hyperthreaded quad core because software isn't optimized for it yet, just future proofs your purchase more...

14 days from the day I got my thunderbolt is the day before the bionic comes out, so I can't compare side by side. Do you think they will let one day slide?
And dual core seems cool and all, but I'm not sure how much it would actually benefit me, over losing HTC

OP
N

nickguz

Reaction score
And what are advantages of the tbolt over the bionic?

googlelover

Reaction score
14 days from the day I got my thunderbolt is the day before the bionic comes out, so I can't compare side by side. Do you think they will let one day slide?
And dual core seems cool and all, but I'm not sure how much it would actually benefit me, over losing HTC
Well what happens if you lose HTC? and honestly, I would go in and ask someone in the closest verizon store and see if they can do anything for you.
Edit: Oh wow for some reason my brain completely missed the HTC sense > Blur.
Have you seen the new videos of the Bionics blur? Most don't even call it blur anymore, its more like a general customization of the UI for gingerbread, that or im completely confused right now.. Well, if you havent seen them.
[video=youtube;yqnb4DhNF90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqnb4DhNF90&feature=player_embedded[/URL] T[/video]oo lazy to find the other one

Last edited:
OP
N

nickguz

Reaction score
Well what happens if you lose HTC? and honestly, I would go in and ask someone in the closest verizon store and see if they can do anything for you.
Edit: Oh wow for some reason my brain completely missed the HTC sense > Blur.
Have you seen the new videos of the Bionics blur? Most don't even call it blur anymore, its more like a general customization of the UI for gingerbread, that or im completely confused right now.. Well, if you havent seen them.
[video=youtube;yqnb4DhNF90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqnb4DhNF90&feature=player_embedded[/URL] T[/video]oo lazy to find the other one

That looks pretty cool. But do you think they could let me do the exchange after 15 days? I don't want to wind up being screwed haha

lxJGTxl

Reaction score
That looks pretty cool. But do you think they could let me do the exchange after 15 days? I don't want to wind up being screwed haha

I don't think they will, they are really strict when it comes to the 15 day rule cuz I tried 1 day after as well to switch my old fascinate for the X a while back and they didn't let me.

And to answer your question of things the tbolt has over bionic are

Tbolt has HTC sense which always the biggest plus to me (not a fan of motoblur or touchwiz)
Tbolt has a 1.3mp ffc compared to the bionic vga ffc.
Tbolt has a useful kickstand
Tbolt is still the only phone that can call and use data simultaneously on Verizon through 3g.

And besides the bionic being dualcore, a bit more RAM, a little higher resolution screen, the other specs are about the same. 4.3" display, 8mp camera with hd vid record, on 4glte, etc.

Just weigh out what's important to you.

HTC will always be my Android phone and i will show my thunderbolt some love until my next upgrade next September :)

OP
N

nickguz

Reaction score
I don't think they will, they are really strict when it comes to the 15 day rule cuz I tried 1 day after as well to switch my old fascinate for the X a while back and they didn't let me.

And to answer your question of things the tbolt has over bionic are

Tbolt has HTC sense which always the biggest plus to me (not a fan of motoblur or touchwiz)
Tbolt has a 1.3mp ffc compared to the bionic vga ffc.
Tbolt has a useful kickstand
Tbolt is still the only phone that can call and use data simultaneously on Verizon through 3g.

And besides the bionic being dualcore, a bit more RAM, a little higher resolution screen, the other specs are about the same. 4.3" display, 8mp camera with hd vid record, on 4glte, etc.

Just weigh out what's important to you.

HTC will always be my Android phone and i will show my thunderbolt some love until my next upgrade next September :)

Thanks a lot for that info, so the only advantage of the bionic is the dual core? What exactly do you use the dual core for anyway?