Droid 1 to Thunderbolt?

jnd121

Reaction score
I have my (last) new every two upgrade coming up and want to use it wisely. I am highly considering the Thunderbolt, but out lacks a dual core processor :-(

Should I hold out for another phone like the Bionic?

I do love my OG Droid, but it's starting to feel dated...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm hanging on to mine until I can compare the TB to the Bionic.

Sent from my GimpDroid (Installed by RZR).

OP
jnd121

jnd121

Reaction score

Maybe if I root my D1 it will allow me to hold out a bit longer...

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh geez.

You could definitely wait then! :)

datsyuk

Reaction score
Rooting will make it feel like a whole new phone. I suggest doing it.

In my honest opinion I think that HTC will be releasing a dual core phone on Verizon in Q2 or Q3 that will have more ram than the TB and a better display (qHD like a few others I've been seeing).

I love the Thunderbolt and Sense but I wouldn't feel too good buying this single core phone when dual cores are going to be popping out. I read today Qualcomm is talking about quad cores now too and have developed some quad core processors. Imo dual core will be able to handle the next few versions of Android no problem and run things with ease. The 1ghz snapdragons are still fast even now, a year later. They're outdated in the tech world but they still seem fine to me. I'm hoping when I blow my upgrade the dual core will last me 1 to 2 years no problem.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I am in the same dilemma. I do think I am going to wait for a dual core phone though. Once more apps and software are optimized to work with dual-core phones like the Bionic, Atrix, Revolution, etc. those phones will benchmark better than the Thunderbolt since it will on be using one core while those phones will be using two. I just want to see if any of them have and unlocked bootloader and that's my next phone.

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Maybe if I root my D1 it will allow me to hold out a bit longer...

I would agree with this statement.

I'm running Gingerbread right now on my OG Droid and love it but if you root and end up liking the freedom it gives you over your phone then you might want to look into the Thunderbolt as it has already been rooted. The Bionic is more than likely going to be locked down.

I’m getting the Thunderbolt myself, I’ve already pre-ordered it, I like the fact that it does not have a locked bootloader.