Why do some hate Motorolla?

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
The inspire maybe 99 dollars but att imo is garbage if u want to make calls from your phone....a buddy of mine has att and hes always droppn calls or has no bars..i live in MI...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Oh yeah. Im not comparing the networks at all just the hardware. I guess maybe its gotta be that cheap to try and lure people over?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but all this "I speak with my wallet" talk is pretty useless.

The modding community equates to maybe 1% of the total phone users, so moto doesn't care if rom users/tweakers don't buy their products, they're probably glad to get rid of the returns that they get from people screwing up their phones and saying "it just broke".

I love my D1's customization, don't get me wrong, but I think most of you guys have a false sense that Moto cares what the modding community does with their money, if they did, they wouldn't have basically said, "We're locking our boot loaders, suck it."

leland_7

Reaction score
This sucks! I was hella bent on the Bionic but now I'm having 2nd thoughts.
Argh... I'm glad the op asked this though. I remember reading several ppl comment before about motos, I just didn't know what they meant exactly.

I know this is very broad but, in a nutshell, can someone explain what is gained by rooting/modding a phone vs. a stock os?

Are we talking about just custom skins/themes and such or does it go much deeper as in more processing power and apps not accessible on a stock os?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm satisfied with root, which I'm confident the Moto phones can still be rooted. That enables you to get rid of the bloatware and at least underclock with Set CPU. Those are really the big reasons I flash roms. I'm not big into theming and don't really see the point, and other than getting the latest updates early I don't see much other benefit to custom roms.

Although I do have concerns of whether I'll like Blur and, if not, how well the phone runs with my alternative launcher layered overtop.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aside from the ability to load custom ROMs onto your device eliminating Blur or whatever UI a device has... you also have the ability to upgrade your device past it's EOL.

Take for example the D1... owners/users of the device will not be receiving GB, yet we are able to load GB ROMs onto our devices... with a locked bootloader this is not possible.

My next device I'm not as interested in loading custom ROMs onto while it's still a supported device, but with the way tech moves and devices EOL's ranging about a year or so... it's a great bonus to have the option to update your device even when it's not officially receiving the update.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Aside from the ability to load custom ROMs onto your device eliminating Blur or whatever UI a device has... you also have the ability to upgrade your device past it's EOL.

Take for example the D1... owners/users of the device will not be receiving GB, yet we are able to load GB ROMs onto our devices... with a locked bootloader this is not possible.

My next device I'm not as interested in loading custom ROMs onto while it's still a supported device, but with the way tech moves and devices EOL's ranging about a year or so... it's a great bonus to have the option to update your device even when it's not officially receiving the update.

Those are fair points, but while 2.1 and 2.2 were major upgrades, I haven't seen much value-add with GB. My gut feeling is after Ice Cream that Android is going to be pretty much a finished product and you won't be needing to upgrade any more than you do when a new Windows OS comes out.

rage151

Reaction score
The signal, call quality, and noise cancellation is better in Motorola's than any other manufacturer. This has been the case for years. Moto actually made the first cell phone.

I'm not reciting other sources, although many are out there. I owned many different brands since before the old Moto T720 and found it to ALWAYS be true.

May not be what you're looking for, but I got the TB on launch day and returned it a week later. Its call quality was much worse than my D1...and even worse than than the Blackberry Storm1 I had before it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Those are fair points, but while 2.1 and 2.2 were major upgrades, I haven't seen much value-add with GB. My gut feeling is after Ice Cream that Android is going to be pretty much a finished product and you won't be needing to upgrade any more than you do when a new Windows OS comes out.

ultimately the choice is yours, I just wanted to give an additional view point on why an unlocked bootloader can be beneficial. :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
ultimately the choice is yours, I just wanted to give an additional view point on why an unlocked bootloader can be beneficial. :)

I don't disagree, I'm just pointing out that I believe the value to flashing roms is diminishing significantly going forward, outside of theming. Running the latest OS just isn't going to matter like it did from 2.0 to 2.1 and then 2.2

And the other poster makes a great point about call quality, for those of us who still actually use these things for a phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I don't disagree, I'm just pointing out that I believe the value to flashing roms is diminishing significantly going forward, outside of theming. Running the latest OS just isn't going to matter like it did from 2.0 to 2.1 and then 2.2

And the other poster makes a great point about call quality, for those of us who still actually use these things for a phone.

I'm with you for the most part... my desire to flash ROMs has diminished, although I do still enjoy tinkering every now and then.

I don't plan on toying much with ROMs on my next device... until it's EOL... then I will want to load a ROM provided there's an update. I just like to have what's new :)

I do believe you're correct that at some point the updates will be less of a drastic improvement. That's to be expected as Android grows and becomes more refined.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I have to agree with Kodiak. I've run every iteration of Android since 2.0 and now Gingerbread. Not interested in updates anymore. Android is android.

Give me excellent hardware that runs Gingerbread butter smooth and I will be good to go.

Sent from my Droid

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wll take great harware over roms, but I should not have to make that choice. Its open, now open does not give me the right to jack my phone up while hacking and expect the manufacturer to foot the bill. But I should be allowed to use my device with open software. If the oems are doing a great job with the software then I wont feel the need to want to put a rom on it.

patrickgerry

Reaction score
I'm with Martin on this. I do not want to succumb into getting a new phone every 2 years which is what the phone makers want us to do. Hopefully rom updates will extend usage over EOL enough to justify not spending on a new device with marginal hardware improvements. Just my .02 cents.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I know longer have an interest at all in rooting my phone, Motorola is fine with me. I don't dislike HTC, Samsung, LG or anybody else. I'm sure they are good phones but I'll take Motorola.

I can understand the people who feel that they should be able to do what they want with their phones, and to them I say purchase another brand of Android phone. I'm running 2.2 Froyo stock now. I'd rather run it rooted, overclocked and have access to my great rooted only apps, but since bricking my last D2 I'm hesitant to try do it.

BTW, if it wasn't for the lockdown on the bootloader and the need to sbf I probably wouldn't have bricked my phone so there is that side of it too. I was never a fan of custom ROM so I won't miss those.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting point. I have to admit I am finding more interest in going back to stock then any custom ROM. But I do like overclocking and being able to scale my CPU for battery saving. Theme changing is also a big one here.....don't really tether and almost everything else I do doesn't require root. Well....except screenshots. I have been looking forward to GB to see if it is good enough for me to just switch back and be done with it all. I will admit I would be much happier if Google or whoever would release updates to their ROM's a bit more often.

This is the one big thing custom ROM's have on stock....update frequency.