Should I keep the GN...

streetmike

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a question. Now let me start off on that I love the GN. The screen, ICS, the smoothness. Everything but the signal. I am on my second GN. I had this one since January ( I think). But I am constantly not getting any signal. I will 10 text messages at once at say 3 in the morning. My buddy texts me and the next day I get it. Calls are the same issue. No rings or missed call notification. The only way I know when youmail sends me a text saying I have a missed call. At home is dreadful. My OG droid had great signal (comparing the db not the bars). The GN drops all signal including call in places I should be maxed out (major city with towers all around).

Now before you say try another, my sister has the GN also and is having the same issues. What really sucks for me is that I am looking for a job and if my phone starts acting up when I am being contacted for and interview... well that would be bad. I have no faith in the phone to be able to be used as a phone.

Yes I am unlocked and rooted. I was running CodeName for awhile but started to have issues and decided to go back to stock. I have tried all the radios releases and none seem to offer any measurable improvement.

I bought the phone from BB and bought there extended warranty. I am going to go back there and see if I can get a different phone. I am thinking the Razr Maxx. Idk my boss has it and has no problems other then its his first smart phone. Do you guys think that the Maxx will offer better signal.

I am truly disappointed to get rid of the GN, but It fails at its most vital function; phone.

Please let me know what you think,
Mike

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd be dropping it like a bad habit if it was that bad. But I know the dilemma, as it's a great device. But it's function as a phone was it's eventual downfall for me, as well (though I wasn't having near the problems you were).

Do you live in an area with bad signal? Or a fringe 4G area? Texts shouldn't be affected by your data connection, unless it's dropping service completely, or the only thing you ever receive is multimedia messages - but regular sms messages should come through regardless of whether or not you have data, and should only be delayed if your actual service is dropping completely - which could be worth a call to VZW, if that's the case.

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
I'd be dropping it like a bad habit if it was that bad. But I know the dilemma, as it's a great device. But it's function as a phone was it's eventual downfall for me, as well (though I wasn't having near the problems you were).

Do you live in an area with bad signal? Or a fringe 4G area? Texts shouldn't be affected by your data connection, unless it's dropping service completely, or the only thing you ever receive is multimedia messages - but regular sms messages should come through regardless of whether or not you have data, and should only be delayed if your actual service is dropping completely - which could be worth a call to VZW, if that's the case.

Yea both phones are dropping data and service signal a lot. I don't believe we are anywhere near a fringe area as Verizon gets the best signal where we live with everyone elses phones. My co-worker has no problems with her GN, but I think she lives right near a tower.

Should I go to BB or call Verizon up? Never have dealt with this other then replacing my first GN after a week because of the reboots.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Might be worth a call or going by there. So that's 3 total that have had the issues, from the same place? If it's not just the inherent issues with the Gnex (yours do seem worse than the normal issues), possibly they came from a bad batch. Just speculating... Regardless, if you can't trust your phone as a phone, kinda defeats the purpose of having it. At some point you'll really need it, and you'll say "man I wish I'd done something about it back when...". :)

xDMONEYx

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Twitter
bentxnail
I was having the same problems with my first GNex, that I bought from Best Buy. Lucked out and took it to Verizon within my 14 days and they gave me a BNIB right there in the store. This one from Verizon has been working FLAWLESSLY for the past 3+ months. Not one data or signal drop while inside a strong reception area. I don't think I'll ever trust 3rd party suppliers after that experience. It may be just a coincidence, but it seems a lot of people with complaints about their device bought it from Best Buy, Costco or some other similar retailer.

I'd personally give the phone one more shot, except only if you can get a replacement from Verizon. It's a long shot, believe me, but I guess it's worth a shot.

Klaista2k

Reaction score
I'd try to exchange it.

Only problem is I'm not sure they'll let you get a different phone since it's past 14 days.

It's worth a shot though.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think the primary question is what is your main intentions with this phone. I also been exactly where you was and got frustrated to the point I returned it for the rezound. Then I heard about the new imm76k radios and decided to give it one more go and must admit I am happy. Whether it be a combination of a bad phone a new radios I don't know. But since running imm76k rooted stock from with the radios I have been pleased. Now if you are just to busy or not interested and basically waiting and piecing together software for your phone then I would recommend a change. Something like the razr maxx may be perfect for you. I still have my tbolt as my spare and my mom now has my rezound. And honestly since switching I did not have to use my spare tbolt at all. I played with the razr ics and I am impressed and think razr maxx fans will be satisfied when they finally do get the update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hope not do: influence you in any way. If you run out of options..Well...check your pm...

Sent from my Droid Razr using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd try out the new radios and possibly a ROM(unless you want to stay stock) and see how that goes. If push comes to shove, return it. If my phone did this I'd definitely send it back.

GoBears

Reaction score
Yeah dude, you seem to have gotten two bad ones. This phone might not be the best reception wise, but it's certainly not that bad. I'd definitely do what I had to do to get another one. Good luck.

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
I had about 3 Gnexs from Costco that kept droppiing calls / losing data. I think there are bad batches out there. Some people don't have any issues, but a lot do.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

grinchy

Reaction score
dont keep the GN if your not into getting the latest and greatest updates and support for this kicka$$ piece of hardware :)

OP
streetmike

streetmike

Reaction score
I think the primary question is what is your main intentions with this phone. I also been exactly where you was and got frustrated to the point I returned it for the rezound. Then I heard about the new imm76k radios and decided to give it one more go and must admit I am happy. Whether it be a combination of a bad phone a new radios I don't know. But since running imm76k rooted stock from with the radios I have been pleased. Now if you are just to busy or not interested and basically waiting and piecing together software for your phone then I would recommend a change. Something like the razr maxx may be perfect for you. I still have my tbolt as my spare and my mom now has my rezound. And honestly since switching I did not have to use my spare tbolt at all. I played with the razr ics and I am impressed and think razr maxx fans will be satisfied when they finally do get the update.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Yes I was rooted and tried all the radios as of last month. I was running CodeName until it started acting really weird. I since back to running the stock ICS. I might give it another try. I first gotta lock the phone back up and go to BB and do the whole dance with them to get me and my (refurbed) phones. I just hope the new ones are in great condition and the signal is alot better because I really love the GN and the screen and the size and well basically everything about it.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmm. The more research I've done, I don't think it will be released this coming week. I'm wondering if it will be 11/09/09..?

verizon-droid-release-date.JPG

Be sure to vote on the poll and let us know what you think!

Disregard crazy mind of its own this phone right now..wrong section..lol
Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes I was rooted and tried all the radios as of last month. I was running CodeName until it started acting really weird. I since back to running the stock ICS. I might give it another try. I first gotta lock the phone back up and go to BB and do the whole dance with them to get me and my (refurbed) phones. I just hope the new ones are in great condition and the signal is alot better because I really love the GN and the screen and the size and well basically everything about it.

If your still not satisfied....pm me
Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2