SetCPU draining your battery?

Tegamal

Reaction score
Seems like it to me!

I have the extended battery & usually finish the day with close to 50% left. After rooting & installing SetCPU to govern the CPU while the screen is off & such to see if I could manage a full two days with one charge, I got the exactly opposite effect! I unplugged my Bionic at 6am yesterday, by 8pm my 15% warning went off & I wasn't even using it that much!

I also noticed my Quadrent & Antutu benchmark scores PLUMMETED with SetCPU, even set to performance mode! Antutu gave me a 4919 without & a 3430 with.

Glad I only paid a buck for it, :D

Anyone else getting similar results?

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
I was under the impression that set cpu does nothing for dual core processor phones because the core that handles the background tasks cannot yet be manipulated by it. You're basically telling your phone to control the "master" core.. which shouldnt be doin anything at all when the screen is off.

OP
Tegamal

Tegamal

Reaction score
GAH! I never even thought of that! :D

Makes sense though, either way, I uninstalled it & now it will forever sit at the bottom of my purchased but not installed apps list along with GDE & NexusMod 2.0 Live Wallpaper :rofl3:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That and the setcpu won't do much without a custom kernel.

OP
Tegamal

Tegamal

Reaction score
Well, it will change the clock speed of one core, but not the other. It also does make the single core do all the work, I did more checking.

I was just curious to see if I could gain even more battery life by underclocking the CPU without making it sluggish or unresponsive. I guess the answer with SetCPU is "Not at this time".

I love this community, I've learned so much over the past 2 years! dancedroid