Seidio Innotraveler car dock

rbrown1

Reaction score
Seidio sending another replacement

I have to say the people at Seidio are nice and good to help. They are sending a third car dock system and this time sending another power cord too. I hope the third time is charm or else I'm going to have to find a box to ship all this stuff back in...I'll post again when I have another set of results. My feeling right now is that Seidio is a good company that usually has very good products but right now they are dealing with a bunch of car docks that are poorly engineered or poorly manufactured.

I finally got to use the second car dock on a seven hour drive. I should say what should have been a seven hour drive because the phone was completely dead and shut down after six hours. From 100 percent charged to no charge after six hours in the car dock, plugged in with charger cord and dock both showing power. The charging icon on the Droid showed it should have been charging too. After this happened I removed the Droid from the dock and plugged it in with my original Motorola charger, the Droid powered up and in about fifteen minutes the battery was 10 percent charged. I wonder if the problem is the charger cord Seidio sent with the the first car dock??? They did not send a replacement for that. At this point the car dock is useless!

I also noticed it being difficult to seat tightly enough to get the phone to make a connection with the micro USB. It seems to have gotten easier with a few days use, but I still have to press firmly.

I have a more pressing concern at the moment though. I used te seidio dock with the standard battery and while it was definetely getting a connection to the dock (charge indicator showed on the power display, showed conneted to AC, backlight stayed on), it was not actually recharging the phone. At least not much. I would leave a client and have an hour drive. I would leave with 70% and arrive at my destination with 40%. I would run GPS or music, but USB transerfers more then enough power to supply your usage and recharge the battery at the same time. I haven't tried it with the entended battery (which is the whole reason I got the dock) since I had to have my first one replaced and my new extended is still going through the full charge/discharge sequence they recommend.

So, has anyone else noticed it making a connection and not charging the phone sufficently?

I had the same problem and just got the replacement unit. I'll use it some this weekend and see if the charger actually charges. It is frustrating when the phone shows it is being charged but then shuts down with a dead battery.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
I have to say the people at Seidio are nice and good to help. They are sending a third car dock system and this time sending another power cord too. I hope the third time is charm or else I'm going to have to find a box to ship all this stuff back in...I'll post again when I have another set of results. My feeling right now is that Seidio is a good company that usually has very good products but right now they are dealing with a bunch of car docks that are poorly engineered or poorly manufactured.

Agreed. I hope I don't need a third!

spindoctor

Reaction score
so... where are you guys buying this thing cheapest on the web? amazon is OOS

Also from Seidio directly. They seem to have some coupons and had a deal on 4/1 that was 20% off and free ship. Of course it was 4/1 and I might get a box with a fake poop in it when it gets here...

For anyone that has one, does it come with the AMPS 4-hole adapter plate?

The_Law

Reaction score
Same issue with the charger stopped. I contacted Seidio - very helpful - they said this is a known issue and are sending a replacement. I would recommend buying from Seidio online with a Coupon Code.

Additionally, there are reports of the Virtual Keyboard not working in the Car Dock. This is not good since it is the only way to access Speech-to-text while driving.

Check out Seidio car Dock Virtual Keyboard not working

Medman

Reaction score
Count me in as another user that had the car dock die after 3 days. :mad:

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Son of a :censored:! Another issue? I just hope they will replace our defective units with the new ones once they fix the issue and get them into manufacturing.

Deandroid

Reaction score
I got the car dock two weeks ago, and I've had a bit of trouble with it.

First, the cigarette lighter adapter is a mini-usb. Stupid! On top of that, it's cheap. Think $.01 (+3.99 shipping) on Amazon cheap. Often times when it's plugged in and then it intermittently goes out and I have to jiggle it to get it working again.

Secondly, the male micro usb plug on the dock itself has become inconsistent. I'll have the droid plugged in and the green indicator (power) light will be on, but the connection to the droid will not be secure and thus the phone doesn't charge. there is really no rhyme or reason to it's success either. Some times it works, some times it doesnt.

I submitted a claim yesterday to Seidio and they are sending me replacements. Great customer service! I guess we'll see what happens with the new ones.

Has anyone else experience similar things with their Seidio Car Docks?

I have also had the dock for two weeks, and have the exact same issue... except now my Droid won't charge at all in the Seidio mount.

I also agree that the car charger seems cheap, and really should fit the droid phone. I really don't want any extra car chargers hanging around.

If I get a replacement that works reliably, than I will be OK with the Seidio mount!

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Just got my replacement mount. Its just the dock and not the cord, which I suspect might be the actual weak point. I haven't had enough time to really test it yet, but a 40 min drive showed while using music over bluetooth showed a 15Mv drop. not a good sign, but i'll need to do a longer test.

Deandroid

Reaction score
I wonder if the dock AND the cord are both at issue. Others have documented poor connectivity with the male USB port on the car dock, and the charger just cannot provide enough amperage to keep up. Does Seidio need a "do-over" on this one?

BigRalphN

Reaction score
I should add that people who overclock should set the phone back to 550 while using any car charger or navigation and other user will prevent droid from fully charging and often will actually drain the battery on long trips. I found this out the hard way. Especially you try to charge via usb.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Deandroid

Reaction score
I should add that people who overclock should set the phone back to 550 while using any car charger or navigation and other user will prevent droid from fully charging and often will actually drain the battery on long trips. I found this out the hard way. Especially you try to charge via usb.

Overclock? 550? Sorry, I am a scientist and not an engineer. ;) Can you please explain?

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
I wonder if the dock AND the cord are both at issue. Others have documented poor connectivity with the male USB port on the car dock, and the charger just cannot provide enough amperage to keep up. Does Seidio need a "do-over" on this one?

you may indeed be right on that one. It looks like the aesthetic design was better then the engineering design.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score

Overclock? 550? Sorry, I am a scientist and not an engineer. ;) Can you please explain?

He's talking about ramping up the processors speed (CPU cycles) past the phones designed speed. 550mhz is the speed of the droids processor as it was released by motorola. Generally processors can go faster, but are lowered to maintain battery life or application stability, etc. So, some people have their processor "overclocked" to go faster to make the phone quicker or run CPU hungry applications faster, which would account for charging not being able to keep up with the power being consumed.