A good car dock solution?

Q

qoncept

What are people with cases doing for car docks? Is there any complete solution? I've seen a million posts about what kind of works, but I want something that holds my Droid securely, charges it (WITHOUT having to plug it in manually -- I want to slide it in, like a DOCK), and sets the phone to car dock mode.

Seidio's dock does what I want and I love their cases, but $50 is ridiculous, it's big and ugly looking, and I don't want a windshield mount.

I started making my own with a right angled USB adapter, some angle aluminum and JB Weld, but it didn't really work out. If I can slightly modify something to work (ie, add a magnet or modify the mount) that's fine, but the most important thing is I don't want to have to reach up to it and plug the charger in. Is there anything that does what I want, or am I stuck with Seidio?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
What are people with cases doing for car docks? Is there any complete solution? I've seen a million posts about what kind of works, but I want something that holds my Droid securely, charges it (WITHOUT having to plug it in manually -- I want to slide it in, like a DOCK), and sets the phone to car dock mode.

Seidio's dock does what I want and I love their cases, but $50 is ridiculous, it's big and ugly looking, and I don't want a windshield mount.

I started making my own with a right angled USB adapter, some angle aluminum and JB Weld, but it didn't really work out. If I can slightly modify something to work (ie, add a magnet or modify the mount) that's fine, but the most important thing is I don't want to have to reach up to it and plug the charger in. Is there anything that does what I want, or am I stuck with Seidio?

Yep, I was going to say Seidio.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good luck, I don't see how a generic dock for every possible case out there is a feasible thing. Seidio probably is your best bet. Any solution is going to cost a bit. You really do have to decide on dirt cheap or the feature you're looking for unless you take the DIY approach.

OP
Q

qoncept

I was hoping there was something between "dirt cheap" and "stupid expensive" :) I'll probably go with the Seidio, but I still don't like the mount or how the thing looks as big as my Sequoia, but I suppose I'll deal. Just don't tell the old lady what they cost.

CYBER DROIID

Reaction score
I may have a good soloution for you but Im at work right now maybe if I can get home soon enough I can take a video and show you what I did......I'll try and repost later.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was hoping there was something between "dirt cheap" and "stupid expensive" :)
It's all relative I guess but Seidio is far from "stupid expensive" from what I've seen. I'll definitely post anything I might run across for less.

Rettocs

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what your project looks like, CD.

Rettocs

Reaction score
Because of this thread, I ordered a ProClip mount set. I can't wait to try it :D

OP
Q

qoncept

I wonder if I could mount the Seidio clip somehow.. I'd have to plug the thing in still. I dunno, I got a coupon code for Seidio's web store (10% off, free shipping, LOVE2010 I think it was) so maybe I should just get their dock and quit being a baby.

CYBER DROIID

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what your project looks like, CD.

Man I'm at work again it's a 6 dollors fix plus shipping but it's a time thing, single dad, hell today is his b-day, work ect yada yada I was going to try and do a video for ya but if nothing else hit me up and send me a private message and I'll atleast give you the info tonight.....sorry for the delay. Plus I need light for the video. By the time I get home it's just about dark. I havent forgotten about ya though......sorry.

That pro clip looks like a great solution for ya let us know how it works out and i"ll still try and post a video asap.

needsnumbers

Reaction score
Ebay has something

Bought this car mount off of ebay. Hasn't arrived yet so I can't tell you if it's good or not. It's cheap, so I expect cheap but it looks perfect for my Impala that has 2 cig lighters just under the HVAC controls :)
edit: I noticed you said NOT plugging it in manually. Sorry I didn't read that and it looks like the pro-clip is your best bet. Though you'll need to install a magnet if you want it to switch to car mode.