Sears blows out the Droid for $149

buenos

Reaction score
Is the Verizon Store or online website still the best place to buy the Droid?

I ended returning my Droid to Best Buy in hopes of getting a better deal. I took it straight to CS. She issued me a cash refund on the price of the phone. She then issued me a credit on the BB gift card. I went over to the mobile section and cancelled. I was told by Verizon CS that the after it was returned that I would be then considered a new customer again.

So, I ventured out to look for the best deal. I found out that Best Buy, Radio Shack, Newegg, and Sears all belong to Simplexity, which is Wirefly's parent company. Amazon is also is a part of a similar parent company. Simplexity as been known for low balling the price of phones to make money off of large volumes of sales. You have to sign on to a separate 6 month EFT with them to regulate your business practices at Verizon which could cause them to lose money. The other negative (I've read) is that you are not warranted from Motorola on the Droid to take it in for service or replacement during the warranty at the Verizon Store. I knew that it was suspicous when I bought my phone at Best Buy and they did not ask me about insurance. Simplexity uses a different insurance company that charges $50 up front and does't cover everything that the Total Equipment Coverage covers.

So, when the smoke clears. I can only see one reasonable place to purchase the Droid (for myself) the Verizon Website or the Verizon Store. Are you able to get the instant rebate though either source? Did anyone get free Activation when they ordered that Friday through Sunday of the launch? Has anyone gotten Verizon to credit them the Activation fees? Is there any talk of such a promotion?

I don't know about your best buy, but the one i went to actually loggs into verzion's system, he ask about insuracne, printed out the verizon Customer Agreement...went online loged into my account, yup i have insureance.

rican408

Reaction score
So I just called Verizon and added insurance even tho I got it threw bb

Attackcenter

Reaction score
That's pretty surprising. Did you guys get the choice to get to Total Equipment Coverage $7.99, Assurion Wireless Phone Protection for $6 or regular insurance for $2.? I would think that it would be good to get on the Total Equipment Protection or the Assurion to make sure you don't get on their own insurance plan which is:

The Device Protection Service is provided by the National Cellular Owners Association, LLC (NCOA)

or

Best Buy's Insurance

I know when I purchased the phone originally from BB they made me sign some things on credit card machine, that I thought was typical terms from Verizon. So I did't read it.
Do you guys know if you are under a separate ETF with Simplexity (Best Buy Mobile).

It could be that since BB (Simplexity) is offering this phone for the regular price and not a significant discount that that let you go directly through Verizon (guessing) because there is not a big loss for them. If you look at Wirefly's website they are selling the Droid for $129 no tax (at least for California) at one of the special offer links and your under the EFT with them. Also, they only give you one insurance choice. If you already signed up with Wirefly or thinking about it you could try calling Verizon and see if they'll do it though. Always make sure and read the terms, find out insurance options, and especially about they are including a EFT.

AC

buenos

Reaction score
No it was all the verizon stuff...i was watch the screen. (Iv'e done this many times) yup he offered the different options. theonly things i signed was the verizon agreement and the BB recipt..

Attackcenter

Reaction score
I did a little more research. It looks like when you order online it goes through Simplexity.

D

DroidMastar

Ooooh Snaap

See this is some bs I used my new every two at the store, had to do a mail in rebate for 100... and still only got $30 off for new everytwo (I upgraded my secondary line and it always had a low cost plan)... bleh. I'm upset I couldn't get an extra 20 off... I drop big bucks @ verizon...

buenos

Reaction score
See this is some bs I used my new every two at the store, had to do a mail in rebate for 100... and still only got $30 off for new everytwo (I upgraded my secondary line and it always had a low cost plan)... bleh. I'm upset I couldn't get an extra 20 off... I drop big bucks @ verizon...

That's why i go online most of the time, no mail in rebate card you have to use with verizon....since BB matched i went local....

D

DroidMastar

i would have went online but wanted to get it the day it came out.. didn't want to wait til monday.. :\

Big D

Reaction score
I was told @ Sears that the $150 deal was for new customers only. BB would match down to $188. So it ended up $199 from VZ or $194 (with tax) from BB.

Does this sound right to you guys?

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I bought mine for 199 at BB, then went back with the ad for Sears. The "wireless manager" came over and said no because sears doesn't actually sell phones in their store and walked away. I don't give up easily.

I explained to the very nice cust service girl that for $50 I don't mind returning the phone and ordering through sears, that i could use an old phone for a few days until I got the new one. She called the manager, explained the idea of me getting a full refund. The manager came over and blatantly said *You really don't ind cancelling your service to save $50?* My reply was "no, you really don't mind giving me $200 back instead of $50 and not getting the commission on the new customer signup from verizon?" She then told the cust service girl to go ahead and give me the $50 back(53 with tax).

It felt so nice to stick it to BB for once instead of being told absolutely no, or there is a restocking fee.

mremptywallet

Reaction score
I don't know if this was said already but remember if you lower your plan, take off a feature, anything that would be a step backwards plan wise you will be changed $150 to $200 fee from them.

The Professor

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these weird rules pertaint to phones purchased through costco as well?

Attackcenter

Reaction score
The weird rules seem to effect phones purchased online only through Best Buy Mobile, Wirefly, Sears, and now Overstock through Simplexity. So far I haven't seen the weird rules apply for phones purchased from the store. Just make sure you always look at what your signing and make sure there isn't a separate ETF / NCOA Insurance (or another off brand insurance company).

AC