OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
The Droid did rotate when it was first launched, but there was some sort of update sent out to our phones that changed this.
Where are you getting this information from? Without a source this is not credible information...

Any updates pushed out by Verizon OR Google must be approved by the end user. They cannot just push stuff to your phone without your knowledge. Until I find proof that the home screen did rotate when someone received the phone I am going to stick to my argument that stock Android (1.1, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0) builds DO NOT have the functionality to allow the home screen to rotate using the STOCK launcher. Once I see proof of this occurring in the stock Launcher then I will believe it, but I have gone through 2 Android phones and been with the dev community a while and the home screen has never auto-rotated based on orientation.
i posted a link to a site about FAQ and there is the question of WHY DOESN THE DROID ROTATE ANYMORE?

Stigy

Reaction score
That FAQ looks to be created by a new member on that site.

I was just more interested where the poster got the information regarding an update pushed out to the device without user agreement.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
o ok i see =]...hmm well i thinkg im gonna contact MOTOROLA lol and see what they say

scoast

Reaction score
I just picked up droid yesterday and am having the same issue with orientation. It first worked on the home page, without pulling out the tray and now it has a mind of its own... sometimes it will and sometimes it won't!

B

brandan003

same thing here.
it use to work... now it doesnt.
i bet if i deleted everything off my phone and put it back to factory it would work

really pisses me off
almost as much as the keyboard

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
same thing here.
it use to work... now it doesnt.
i bet if i deleted everything off my phone and put it back to factory it would work

really pisses me off
almost as much as the keyboard
wont work i alreayd tried it two times lol

BostonMurray

Reaction score
Guys, the point here is that people are having orientation problems with APPs, not just the home page.

My web browser is stuck in Landscape mode. I’ve tried to force quit the browser, restart, etc. Nothing is working.

Has anyone else had this problem?

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Guys, the point here is that people are having orientation problems with APPs, not just the home page.

My web browser is stuck in Landscape mode. I’ve tried to force quit the browser, restart, etc. Nothing is working.

Has anyone else had this problem?
it happenend to me once but i just turned off my phone then back on and it seemed to fix it

Snake3433

Reaction score
I just got the droid yesterday and the home screen would go landscape i makes me mad that people say that it isnt capable of doing this, that is just bull. Shortly after getting the phone i got a message that said to update so i did, went to bed and now today i wont rotate at the home screen and even in the quick search function which is ridiculous because i like to use the landscape keyboard, so i think today i might take a trip back to verizon and see what they can do and maybe even get a new phone we'll see....

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just got the droid yesterday and the home screen would go landscape i makes me mad that people say that it isnt capable of doing this, that is just bull. Shortly after getting the phone i got a message that said to update so i did, went to bed and now today i wont rotate at the home screen and even in the quick search function which is ridiculous because i like to use the landscape keyboard, so i think today i might take a trip back to verizon and see what they can do and maybe even get a new phone we'll see....

The phone may have rotated with the original version of Android 2.0, but with the update that all the Droid's have on them now (2.0.1), you are not able to rotate the homescreen without opening the keyboard. Verizon will tell you the same thing and each replacement Droid you get will do the same thing. What I'm trying to say is...don't waste your time.

Snake3433

Reaction score
Ughhh alright thank you for saving me the time and gas going out there. i just dont get why they would take a good feature away, now having my new phone in my car dock my friends can ask why doesn't it rotate? and ill just have to say idk....

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ughhh alright thank you for saving me the time and gas going out there. i just dont get why they would take a good feature away, now having my new phone in my car dock my friends can ask why doesn't it rotate? and ill just have to say idk....

If you have the Motorola card dock, the magnets should put it into navigation mode and then you should be able to use landscape mode. Most apps allow landscape mode as well, it's just the stupid homescreen that no longer rotates without the keyboard being open. It would be nice to have the option to choose which you prefer, and I have heard others say the same. Let's hope Google adds this option down the road with future updates.

Dom87SS

Reaction score
i bought my droid last night and was auto rotating. and i thought it might have been a certain app i loaded today. so i did a search on here, and look what i find.

it does not auto rotate now, but i am 100% certain it did this last night. because i was showing a iphone user some of the features of the phone. that being one.

Fairfax Droid

Reaction score
On the issue of auto-rotate, I have the car docking station for my Motorola Droid and usually have the map/traffic displayed in landscape mode. Sometimes, when I hit a small bump, the map will go into portrait mode, even through the Droid is in a landscape orientation.

It may take 5 to 10 seconds for the phone/map to return to landscape mode. This is annoying. Does this happen to others? Any comments?