Is it possible to disable rotation for single image?

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Q1 Sometimes when I view an image, there are black bars on the top and bottom of the image. I need to rotate the phone to landscape mode so the image will appear full screen without black bars. At this moment, I want to lock the screen to prevent it from rotation (I only want to pause and unpause rotation.) . Although it is full screen now, the image is not facing the correct direction so I want to disable/lock rotation and then I can turn the phone to potrait mode to see the image in full size.

Q2 Another question is, is there a way to automatically remove the black bars and set image to full size?

Using S4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Yes. View the image in landscape and then slide your notification bar down from the top of the screen. Scroll your top icons over (wifi, mobile data, sound, gps, etc) until you see the screen rotation icon. Press it to disable it and the photo won't shift rotation when you turn the phone again.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If you're in the stock gallery app, you can also use 2 fingers to rotate the image so that it appears in portrait mode.

It will save in that orientation & I believe that will give the result you're asking for.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
If you're in the stock gallery app, you can also use 2 fingers to rotate the image so that it appears in portrait mode.

It will save in that orientation & I believe that will give the result you're asking for.

Sent from my Note 4
That does not work for me.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Wtf? It used to work on the s4, but you're right. I just tried it on my girlfriend's, & it wouldn't work.

Here's a screenshot from my Note doing it.

90fc3ce06650c50534384fd96cb4cb70.jpg

On the s4, you can tap menu, then there's an option to rotate left or right. That'll do the same thing.

Sent from my Note 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Very. I know I did it on the s4 when it was mine. Can't think of a reason they'd take that it in the latest update & include it in a newer phone.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4

Sent from my Note 4
It does not work for my S4.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah your phone is like mine. Press the Menu key while looking at a picture that is portrayed wrong. Scroll down in the settings that come up when you have selected the Menu button and select rotate left or rotate right.

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Is there a way or app that will auto rotate/remove the black bars? So I do not need to go through each image to do it. As long as the image fill the whole screen without black bars I am happy.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Not that I am aware of.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The quickest way to do it would be to hook the phone to a PC & browse to the folder that the pics are in with Windows Explorer, then open them with Windows photo viewer or whatever it's called. It's got quick buttons to rotate & you can use the arrow keys to go through all pics in that folder. I'm sure there's something similar on Mac.

Are these pictures that you've taken, or downloaded?

Sent from my Note 4

OP
D

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Pictures taken using the phone

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Just want to make sure I'm understanding the situation.

So you're taking pictures in landscape, but then want to view them in portrait? Because the phone will set a picture to be viewed full screen in whatever orientation it was taken in. If you want them full screen in portrait, it's best to take them that way.

Of course, it seems that when you turn screen rotation off, it throws a wrench into the whole works, but that's another story.

Sent from my Note 4