Screen unlock problem when call comes in

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Yeah, I hate the whole "swipe-to-answer" thingy. And "unlock-then-swipe-to-answer" which it occasionally does (like you said) is even worse. (And I have an unlock-pattern set, so that means it takes me even LONGER to unlock the phone before I can answer it, if it happens to be stuck in that mode.)

To get around those problems, I just use my Bluetooth headset for all calls -- pop the button on the headest, and it answers just fine, locked or not. Yes, you can't initiate an outgoing call with the BT, but you can sure answer all incoming calls. Never had one problem with that, so far.

Jer

Reaction score
I have the same problem. The unlock slide becomes sluggish only when the phone app is running (perhaps along with some others services) and refuse to slide all the way to the target green dot resulting in missed calls. The same problem continues during the call as well after screen goes blank after some time into the call and I have to unlock the phone before I can use the touchpad during the call. The sluggishness goes away when phone app is not running.

A solution I use for this problem is a free app called ScreenMode Widget I found at the market. It has three options:
1: Sleep Auto
2: Awake Stay
3: Screen Stay

To change between them just click on the widget icon and it will cycle through the three. Option 1 keeps phone's default operation. Option 2 turns off the lock feature. The screen will go blank after set time, or when you hit the top power button. When you hit the power button again, screen returns to where you were without unlock. Option 3 keeps the screen on until you turn it off with the power button. I keep it on Option 2. The only thing I need to be careful with is to make sure I don't trigger the phone with volume locker or the camera button as I put the phone back in my belt holster (otherwise the screen will be on for the next two minutes wasting battery without my knowing about it).

I sure hope someone will fix this one of the two most annoying problems (the unlock slide and lack of bluetooth dialing capability) with Droid.

Thanks for the description and I'm going to install this app to try it out. My issue is coming from a Blackberry 8900 I prefer the ability to push a single button on top of the phone to both lock/unlock and I'm off and running. In the year I used the 8900 I never once accidentally unlocked it so that's good enough for me to not need a second step to unlock and use the device. I have the swiping of the unlock as well as the answering of the phone so this sounds like it might be exactly what I was looking for for part of that so I'll give it a go.

blueglacia

Reaction score
I have the same problem. The unlock slide becomes sluggish only when the phone app is running (perhaps along with some others services) and refuse to slide all the way to the target green dot resulting in missed calls. The same problem continues during the call as well after screen goes blank after some time into the call and I have to unlock the phone before I can use the touchpad during the call. The sluggishness goes away when phone app is not running.

A solution I use for this problem is a free app called ScreenMode Widget I found at the market. It has three options:
1: Sleep Auto
2: Awake Stay
3: Screen Stay

To change between them just click on the widget icon and it will cycle through the three. Option 1 keeps phone's default operation. Option 2 turns off the lock feature. The screen will go blank after set time, or when you hit the top power button. When you hit the power button again, screen returns to where you were without unlock. Option 3 keeps the screen on until you turn it off with the power button. I keep it on Option 2. The only thing I need to be careful with is to make sure I don't trigger the phone with volume locker or the camera button as I put the phone back in my belt holster (otherwise the screen will be on for the next two minutes wasting battery without my knowing about it).

I sure hope someone will fix this one of the two most annoying problems (the unlock slide and lack of bluetooth dialing capability) with Droid.

After playing with the ScreenMod Widget for a while, I have to amend my previous comments. The ScreenMode widget works well except that when a call comes in, I still have to accept it (or reject it) by sliding the same unlock slide all the way to the right. I wish Motolola or Google would make the "accept" or "send to VM" as tap buttons, not a sliding lock. I really don't see a good solution to this yet.

It appears to me that although the phone app uses the same unlock slider design as the basis to accept or reject a call, there is something different in the way the code is run so the behavior of the same slider differs from general unlock to phone answer unlock action. I am waiting for the next OTA update. Droid still is an amazing phone.

Jer

Reaction score
Yeah, I hate the whole "swipe-to-answer" thingy. And "unlock-then-swipe-to-answer" which it occasionally does (like you said) is even worse. (And I have an unlock-pattern set, so that means it takes me even LONGER to unlock the phone before I can answer it, if it happens to be stuck in that mode.)

To get around those problems, I just use my Bluetooth headset for all calls -- pop the button on the headest, and it answers just fine, locked or not. Yes, you can't initiate an outgoing call with the BT, but you can sure answer all incoming calls. Never had one problem with that, so far.

I don't have a BT headset currently (well, can't find is a better descriptor) but I know with the Moto BT headsets I had in the past on Nokia phones a press of the button on the headset would trigger the voice dialing and a long press would automatically redial the last number called. This may or may not be useful for you as I know when I used it worked pretty well.