Screen lock during call unlocks and mutes/ends calls/totally pisses me off

ARZ

Reaction score
When I am on a call it seems IMPOSSIBLE to lock the screen and keep it from making the screen buttons available to click. IE: I dont want the touch screen to become avaliable while Im on a call.

My face/cheek magically finds teh combination to do all of the following on 90% of my calls.

1. it mutes them, and usually switches back to the desktop and by the time I have figured out how to get back to the keypad and un-mute them they figure they lost teh call and they hang up.
2. it switches to the keypad and starts dialing random numbers. also seems to END calls from this screen more often than others.
3. it switches to the button that makes the keypad available to dial another party for a 3way call, this also has the effect of muting me to the other party and NOWHERE does the phone tell you that you muted the other party.
4. the phone finds its way back to the desk top and launches another program, you name it (my music, Pandora, Google maps, what ever my face hits). I have even deleted contacts while holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder.

Anybody else have this problem, all my co-workers in the surrounding cubicles laugh their a$$ off all day as call after call gets dropped. Literally 80% of the calls I make are affected by this situation.

Please hackers make an app (write some code) that I can use the top lock button to lock/unlock the touch screen while I am in a call. I only want the screen to unlock (when in a call) IF I press the top button.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
almost 140 views in a few hours and NO ONE has had or heard of this problem?

jacobrv

Reaction score
Do you have long hair? I hear long hair messes with the proximity sensor. If so, I would recommend pulling the hair out of the way so the droid can rest directly on the skin. If not, then I don't know what to tell you. I've never had this problem, and neither has my dad who also owns a droid.

Reaction score
no one has anything to say because the proximity sensor actually works. i've never touched a button with the phone up to my face. ever.

GerryG35

Reaction score
Are you using a case like the Monaco? I had some problems with the proximity sensor (although no one else did). I have several other cases and have never had a problem with the screen (except as noted above) going on or off - actually I'd say it's one of the features that works every time!

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The only time I ever had those problems was if I put the phone to my left ear. Being a rightie I would bring the mic. to my mouth first, which wouldn't allow the proximity sensor to do it's thing. Thus having the same issues you've experienced.

If that's not it, return it.

jphudy

Reaction score
So, I bought the Moto Droid for my wife and I both on the day it came out. Pretty much right from the start, she had the exact same problems that you do. (btw, it's actually quite amazing how well you have characterized the problem.)

Anyway, I had a hard time trying to help her at first because I never had that problem on my phone. We tried everything to figure it out. After we switched phones and we realized that it was user-specific and not phone-specific, she tried holding the phone in various positions, keeping the phone makeup-free, etc.

In the end, we were never able to figure out what the problem was. We even tried a new phone for good measure. NOTHING WORKED. In the end, we had to buy an HTC Eris and sell her Droid on Craigslist. She hasn't had one problem since.

To this day, I honestly think that it had something to do with not only the color of her hair, but the sheen/texture of it. I know most people are saying "Yeah, wtf-ever," but I have no better explanation. It is a known problem discussed on some forums. No solution as far as I could ever see.

dkharvey

Reaction score
My screen does exactly the same thing!! I can't even have a conversation. Any solutions??

sweetdroid

Reaction score
i actually have it happen to, i think its because i move my face away just slightly and the screen will breifly pop up and then some how my face will hit it. also i notice when i'm in a call and push the home button to mess around with apps, it seems to mute the call, thats annoying to me, not sure if thats suppposed to do that tho. i think it can just be finiky (check spelling) lol

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need to give a day or two for responses on any forum site (regardless of view count).

I suggest trying to see if the way you're holding the Droid makes any difference. Some people have noticed that if they don't hold the Droid flat against their face that they do have problems with the proximity sensor. Long hair is also known to cause problems.

I don't know of any apps to help with this off the top of my head.

dro

Reaction score
Figure out why your proximity sensor is not working or simply lock your screen before putting your face all over it.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
WHOO HOO replies!!!YEA!!!

Do you have long hair? I hear long hair messes with the proximity sensor. If so, I would recommend pulling the hair out of the way so the droid can rest directly on the skin. If not, then I don't know what to tell you. I've never had this problem, and neither has my dad who also owns a droid.
Nope, no long hair here. Its short on the sides like a military doo. Its dark brown almost black if that's any consolation. Oh wait, Im just over 40, so I do have a bit of salt and pepper there. hehe Its definitely more dark than gray.

no one has anything to say because the proximity sensor actually works. i've never touched a button with the phone up to my face. ever.
Man you must have flat ears or something. Mine aren't taxi doors or anything, I think they are particularly normal sized and shaped, maybe just more contour near that sensor. It does seem to happen on my left ear more than my right ear.

Are you using a case like the Monaco? I had some problems with the proximity sensor (although no one else did). I have several other cases and have never had a problem with the screen (except as noted above) going on or off - actually I'd say it's one of the features that works every time!
NOPE, not using a case or anything. I did have a clear screen protector installed and it got peeled off several times (putting it in my pocket) and I installed an equally clear piece of tape over the edge, to keep it from lifting up. I can try removing it to see if that works. Thanks for the suggestions.

The only time I ever had those problems was if I put the phone to my left ear. Being a rightie I would bring the mic. to my mouth first, which wouldn't allow the proximity sensor to do it's thing. Thus having the same issues you've experienced.

If that's not it, return it.
Yea, I know what your saying I have tried everything I hold it tight to my ear and hold the screen away from my face but then my ear hurts after a while trying not to activate the screen, but during my call I still see the screen com on and go off. Then I get paranoid and give the other party the quick story and my phone number EVERY TIME I am worried about loosing them.

Same problem. Very annoying!!!
VINDICATION!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

So, I bought the Moto Droid for my wife and I both on the day it came out. Pretty much right from the start, she had the exact same problems that you do. (btw, it's actually quite amazing how well you have characterized the problem.)

Anyway, I had a hard time trying to help her at first because I never had that problem on my phone. We tried everything to figure it out. After we switched phones and we realized that it was user-specific and not phone-specific, she tried holding the phone in various positions, keeping the phone makeup-free, etc.

In the end, we were never able to figure out what the problem was. We even tried a new phone for good measure. NOTHING WORKED. In the end, we had to buy an HTC Eris and sell her Droid on Craigslist. She hasn't had one problem since.

To this day, I honestly think that it had something to do with not only the color of her hair, but the sheen/texture of it. I know most people are saying "Yeah, wtf-ever," but I have no better explanation. It is a known problem discussed on some forums. No solution as far as I could ever see.
I accept the compliment that I might have shiny hair, I wash it every day!!! Thanks. Seriously thanks for validating that there is an issue, and that my description is accurate.

My screen does exactly the same thing!! I can't even have a conversation. Any solutions??
Yea its HORRIBLE. I have to find a quiet place and use the speaker phone and even then it cant be a PRIVATE conversation. It really does suck!!!

i actually have it happen to, i think its because i move my face away just slightly and the screen will breifly pop up and then some how my face will hit it. also i notice when i'm in a call and push the home button to mess around with apps, it seems to mute the call, thats annoying to me, not sure if thats suppposed to do that tho. i think it can just be finiky (check spelling) lol
Yea sometimes I TRY to induce this problem and i cant, and other times it happens ALL THE TIME, and I didn't even move the phone, or if I did its the most imperceptible movement I cant believe that is what is causing this.

You need to give a day or two for responses on any forum site (regardless of view count).

I suggest trying to see if the way you're holding the Droid makes any difference. Some people have noticed that if they don't hold the Droid flat against their face that they do have problems with the proximity sensor. Long hair is also known to cause problems.

I don't know of any apps to help with this off the top of my head.
Yea, after seeing that people can get into the root I was actually pretty excited to see if someone could write an app for this.

Figure out why your proximity sensor is not working .....
Yea working on that. Thanks for the suggestion.

or simply lock your screen before putting your face all over it.
I have done that a thousand times (really at least 100). Try it, it doesn't work. When your in a call pull the phone away from your head press the lock button, then put it back to your ear and keep talking quickly move it away from your head to look at it and the screen lights up again. The lock does nothing when your IN a call.

My biggest indication that something is actually SERIOUSLY wrong is that sometimes I pull it away from by face and expect to see the screen light up and it never does. Sometimes EVEN after I hit the top (lock/unlock) button still it doesn't light up. That event is much more rare, but it has happened at least a dozen times.

Im seriously thinking of carrying my digital camera with me to video the incident, cause it NEVER happens at the store or when I WANT to show somebody. But all my co-workers are solidly afraid of this phone and convinced they don't want one. Even when I try to sell them on its good features.

Cant blame them really, it is after all "a PHONE" and it should at least do that well especially for how much it cost.

tamlam71

Reaction score
Mine does the same dang annoying thing!

My droid does the EXACT same thing!!! Very annoying! I love the phone, but hate the call experience. I'm wondering if it is a hardware issue?? Although, it did this before I rooted it, it does seem to be much worse now. I think I'm gonna roll it back to stock and trade it for another one.

OP
A

ARZ

Reaction score
I am ONE day inside the first 30 days. Fortunately I was able to talk the counter dude at the Verizon store into giving me another since he had seen this a couple times before and he said a wipe-clean didn't work on the others.

Im crossing my fingers, about this one. I will keep you all posted.