Screen still too bright in media dock

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I have searched and searched for a solution. The best one was, "I sleep with my eyes closed, so the light doesn't bother me..."
This was only mildly helpful!

I am pretty sure there is not a solution, but I wanted to bring it up just in case someone knew of something new or a workaround. I have tried several dock and clock apps, but none of them are dark enough. The screen backlight or glow or whatever it is, is just too bright. I end up turning the phone off, but then I can't just roll over and see the clock w/o turning the phone on again.
I am running tranquility 3.6 (lightning fast btw)...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
B

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have searched and searched for a solution. The best one was, "I sleep with my eyes closed, so the light doesn't bother me..."
This was only mildly helpful!

I am pretty sure there is not a solution, but I wanted to bring it up just in case someone knew of something new or a workaround. I have tried several dock and clock apps, but none of them are dark enough. The screen backlight or glow or whatever it is, is just too bright. I end up turning the phone off, but then I can't just roll over and see the clock w/o turning the phone on again.
I am running tranquility 3.6 (lightning fast btw)...

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
B

When the Droid is in the dock on the left side there is a brightness control. It only has 2 settings, but it's plenty dim to solve your issue. It's the third icon down.

Different docks won't do different things. If that's too bright I don't know what to say.

OP
Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Well, I was afraid of that, and, Hook, if you aren't aware of anything else, then I might be sol......
Dimming is what I was taking about being too bright. It is that constant glow that is behind the clock that is too bright. As opposed to a normal clock that only the numbers glow and everything else is black without light....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Strange, when I hit the dimmer in the dock it's so dark I have to remember where the icon is to turn it back up. I'm using a very dark, almost black, back ground.

Hm, a little further playing shows that the system brightness setting definitely affects things. I tested it first with brightness set to auto, and things worked well. When I set the system brightness to max, the entire screen was slightly lit.

So, if you haven't already tired this, lower the screen brightness and change to a dark background.

Hold in mind that the Droid X screen's backlight is always on, and that black pixels are created by blocking it. There will always be a bit of leakage. Turning down the backlight is probably the only way to reduce the slight glow that is bothering you.

Last edited:
OP
Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Hmmmm.....still no luck.
I was using a brightness widget and the lowest setting was still not at 0 (5%), so I changed it all the way down to zero and tried it again (under the covers to simulate darkness).
I am still far (in my eyes) from "not being able to find the icon it is so dark."
My background is almost black, and even using an app like night clock, where the background is completely black and I have the color set to this very dark maroon color in case that would help. I guess the brightness is in the eyes of the beholder, and it is still too bright. Like I said though, in a dark room at night I would still have NO problem finding the dimming icon. I will keep fiddling, but it seems like maybe I am more sensitive to light than others.....

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Oh well, my night vision isn't all that good, so I'm probably on the other end of the scale.

musicman

Reaction score
I use the bedside app which allows me to control the brightness with a great deal of detail. It works for me hopefully it can help you.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's suggestions!
I tried night clock (2 different ones) and bedside clock (pay) along with "clock" that came with Tranquility. They all get equally dark, but all still have a glow in the background that is too bright for me. I guess I am just sensitive to light when I sleep, but it really is a decent "glow" in the room when they are on.
Oh well. One thing I did like about some of the apps like night clock is that it had a simple touch the screen for the time. This may be my best bet....turning the phone off and then just touching the screen to get the time if I want it in the middle of the night.
Hopefully this thread will be helpful to others down the road for good suggestions for bedside apps.
Thank you again to the forum for your help!
B

skerm8

Reaction score
Don 't know if it will work for you or not, but I use an app called screen filter, which will darken the screen as much as you want.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Ok...here is my Stock, but rooted DX, in MultiMedia Dock Mode...with the Dimer switch activated from the same screen...3rd icon down from the top on the left hand side...

No trickery here...no photoshopping, just a screencap from ShootMe and resized in Irfanview so as not to be ginormous.... The 2nd pic is my normal homescreen, and as you can see, it really isnt that dark of a pic.

And OP, you are saying this is too bright?:icon_eek: If this is too bright, I would suggest sleeping with a Miller Welding Helmet with Auto Darkening Lenses....:D

Are you sure the ROM you are running isnt having an adverse affect on the lighting properties of the Media Dock...just spit-balling on this idea...

54997718400264875252.jpg
93009252064536136222.jpg

OP
Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
LOL...yes, well I will have to try the welders helmet, but then I think I would have other things to complain about!
I even downloaded shootme so I could compare our pictures, BodyBagz, and they are spot on, and mine might even be a little darker...
I guess it just comes down to how dark my room is at night (which is not pitch black by any means!) and "the glow" of the phone compared to the ambient light in the room.
I used "night clock" last night and changed the font color to this really dark gray, almost black. I still had the glow overnight, which subjectively was better. At dusk, the screen was so dark that I could not even see the numbers on the screen, so it must just be how dark my room is at night and the relative light of the phone comparably.
Again, thank you for everyone's help! With the screen shot, I am confident that I have done everything I can to dim the glow, and I will just have to get used to it or turn it off when I go to sleep and tap it if I need to see the time.

OP
Dr.Dad

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
update

I wanted to update my brightness issue. I downloaded adjbrightness and it lowers the brightness low enough to keep my phone on in the dock without it being too bright. Keep in mind that this app had a few bugs for me like every once in a while resetting or having a low dim when the phone was supposed to be off, but a reboot and enabling the "fix screen off event" option fixed things for a little while.
It definitely did something in the depths of the phone to lower the brightness levels MUCH better than any other app I tried!

turdbogls

Reaction score
I wanted to update my brightness issue. I downloaded adjbrightness and it lowers the brightness low enough to keep my phone on in the dock without it being too bright. Keep in mind that this app had a few bugs for me like every once in a while resetting or having a low dim when the phone was supposed to be off, but a reboot and enabling the "fix screen off event" option fixed things for a little while.
It definitely did something in the depths of the phone to lower the brightness levels MUCH better than any other app I tried!

same here....adj brightness (down to 2) and night clock donate (to turn off those hard button lights) and setting the color to dark red or dark gray gets me to the point where i am happy. i could NOT get used to the stock clock even when dimming the screen down.

matjmonk

Reaction score
FWIW, I use AlarmClockPlusPro and it has a great dim/night screen with adjustable timeouts, colors and some other things. I'm using the paid version ($2 I think) but there is a free version available in the Market.

Hope it helps.