Scratches on screen

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
After a few days of use I appear to have several small scratches on my screen, these have appeared while in my Verizon case, the shell and holster one, anyone else experiencing these or know how, or if possible, to get rid of these scratches?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 2

OP
cybertj.2000

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
It doesn't affect operation and I barely notice them through normal use, but I know they are there....:mad:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No real way to get rid of them but to minimize them you can try a little Rain-X or even a car wax, spray works best. I've used both in the past and neither interfered with the operation of the screen.

mistermojorizin

Reaction score
No real way to get rid of them but to minimize them you can try a little Rain-X or even a car wax, spray works best. I've used both in the past and neither interfered with the operation of the screen.

rain-x keeps new ones from forming?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
rain-x keeps new ones from forming?
I wouldn't say it does, but it provides a layer, albeit not a long one with constant use of your phone due to your body's natural oils, but it does leave a bit of a layer.

I'm also assuming it's those scratches that can only be seen in certain angles and they are really light (you move your nail across one and you can't feel it), so Rain-X or a wax sort of fills it in. Neither completely fixed the phone, but they provided temporary relief.

The best way to prevent scratches is to get a screen protector of course. I personally use TechArmor and have found them to be one of the best after using dozens of brands.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
A screen protector will hide the fine scratches so you can't even tell they are there as well as protect against further scratches.

AvaMichele

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Where can I find TechArmor screen protectors for the Maxx? I searched their website, but didn't find any for our device.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
All of the current and coming phones from moto have gorilla glass including the droid series. Gorilla glass is not scratch proof, but it is scratch resistant. Any screen can be scratched.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Did they not use gorilla glass?

Gorilla Glass is very strong, but in most cases it is not the glass that is scratching. Very fine, hairline scratches (the kind you can usually only see when the screen is off, and at just the right angle) are usually in the anti-reflective, anti-glare coating - and not actually in the glass itself. This coating is also why a glass polish or wax don't help much to polish out these scratches. You're not actually polishing the glass!

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Gorilla Glass is very strong, but in most cases it is not the glass that is scratching. Very fine, hairline scratches (the kind you can usually only see when the screen is off, and at just the right angle) are usually in the anti-reflective, anti-glare coating - and not actually in the glass itself. This coating is also why a glass polish or wax don't help much to polish out these scratches. You're not actually polishing the glass!

Good thought. Polishing the coating might remove it and then that area would just be reflective glass. If it was just glass, toothpaste works well to polish it. I scratched the glass crystal on a good watch a few years ago and rubbing with toothpaste took them all out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Did they not use gorilla glass?
Gorilla Glass is just like any other glass out there, it isn't scratch proof. It may resist scratches more, hence the house key scratch test and such, but it is not completely scratch proof. Rub some sand on top on the face of a phone with Gorilla Glass and you'll have a completely scratched up display.

Where can I find TechArmor screen protectors for the Maxx? I searched their website, but didn't find any for our device.
I got mine on Amazon for my s4. They come 3 to a pack and have a lifetime warranty as well. Plus they're cheaper than other top brands, but are just as good and even better than some imo. Can't get a better deal for what you pay to be honest.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Gorilla glass does not have an anti-reflective (anti-glare) coating on it. AR coats are extremely thin and fragile. If it had an AR coat and you tried to polish it, it would be destroyed. Corning is trying to find some way to make Gorilla glass more anti reflective, but hasn't come up with a solution yet. Just try taking any pair of glasses with an AR coat and polishing a lens with toothpaste or some other mild abrasive and see what you get. It's not pretty. You can tell pretty easily if a pair of glasses has an AR coat. If you look at them from a slight angle, they will have a slight bluish tint or reflection to them. They are optimized to transmit most of the visible spectrum, but the shorter wavelength blue light still gets reflected a bit and since the other colors of the spectrum are passing through the lens, it looks bluish. They also smudge super easy, which is a very common complaint of people with AR coats on their glasses.
When you polish out scratches on a phone screen, you are really polishing the glass itself. You can't do it to a pair of glasses because it alters the optics of the lens, but since a phone screen is totally flat and not refracting light through it, it works somewhat.

ajarnfalang

Reaction score
After a few days of use I appear to have several small scratches on my screen, these have appeared while in my Verizon case, the shell and holster one, anyone else experiencing these or know how, or if possible, to get rid of these scratches?

Why oh why people keep doing that?

They buy phones and never put a screen protector on it.

As soon as any smartphone comes out of the case, the first thing you do is PUT A SCREEN PROTECTOR ON IT!

Every single smartphone will scratch. It is inevitable. Don't believe people who tell you their phones don't scratch. Every phone will scratch.

There is no such thing as Gorilla Glass scratch proof glass. It WILL SCRATCH. Even if you take care of the phone really well. It will scratch.

As soon as you buy a phone put a screen protector. They're invisible. You won't know it's there.