Small scratch on my screen

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I found a small surface scratch on my Droid screen. I carry it in the shell/holster combo and never in my pocket. Just goes to show that the glass screen can get scratched and it doesn't take a set of car keys to do it. I have never even dropped mine. Anyone have suggestions for a good way to remove surface scratches from glass? It's not deep at all and only noticeable when the screen is turned off and the light hits it right, but it still bugs my OCD self. If I can polish it out, I am definitely going to slap a screen protector on it. The Seidio shell/holster combo that I just ordered last night has a soft lining to protect the screen from scratches (similar to the inside of the Body Glove case), so I am hoping that will help prevent scratches in the future.

JamesButabi

Reaction score
Screen protector seems to prevent any scratches short of something severe. Spend the 5 bucks and get one.

OP
JhankG

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Screen protector seems to prevent any scratches short of something severe. Spend the 5 bucks and get one.

Oh I have spent the money on screen protectors, but just haven't had any luck putting them on smoothly each time. I even wasted a $30 InvisaShield because it had too many air bubbles. I'll just have to find someone who is a bit more skilled at putting those on then me.

RedTarget

Reaction score
I personally use the Boxwave ClearTouch Anti-Glare on mine. They are a bit pricier (only after paying for shipping.. :icon_eek:) but haven't had any problem applying them on any of my devices and are perfect fits. I have had one on my 2nd phone (storm 1) since a week after it originally launched and have no bubbles to speak of and has held up very well.

The anti-glare version takes away a little from the brilliance of the screen, but works wonders for keeping it scratch free and glare free. Also, finger prints don't show up nearly as easily as glossy protectors.

Just my $.02.

ArmyofJuan

Reaction score

Oh I have spent the money on screen protectors, but just haven't had any luck putting them on smoothly each time. I even wasted a $30 InvisaShield because it had too many air bubbles. I'll just have to find someone who is a bit more skilled at putting those on then me.

I had that problem too but after a while (like a week) the bubbles go away. Mine started out looking like a freckled faced child then ended up being so smooth you couldn't notice anything was on there.

OP
JhankG

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll take a look at those protectors. Does anyone have any suggestions for polishing out small surface scratches on glass?

HeroNova

Reaction score
You're better off getting the cheaper ones from vzw orsomething like that imo. I got the invisi and even had the guy at bestbuy put it on for me. No bubbles or anything. Its been less than a month though and its already peeling on the lower left corner and looks horrible. I don't carry my phone in my pocket and I'm not rough with it. Waste of 30 bucks. My friend has been using the vzw ones, carries it in his pocket without a case and its still perfect.

ZAGG does have a life time warrenty so I'll see if they will replace this one but still its a pain and really an eye sore right now.

R

racklefratz

I found a small surface scratch on my Droid screen. I carry it in the shell/holster combo and never in my pocket. Just goes to show that the glass screen can get scratched and it doesn't take a set of car keys to do it.

There was an animated thread last week about the need for screen protectors. Had one guy give us a lecture about the physics of materials hardness and the fact that essentially nothing short of a diamond would scratch glass. So much for that. Or did your phone actually HAVE a close encounter of the diamond kind?

bamfsig45

Reaction score

I bought my Invisible Shield from best buy and while I was there I had one of the employees from BBMobile install it for me for 7.00. And after doing so I noticed a flaw before leaving the store and they pulled it off and applied a new one perfectly for me.

You're better off getting the cheaper ones from vzw orsomething like that imo. I got the invisi and even had the guy at bestbuy put it on for me. No bubbles or anything. Its been less than a month though and its already peeling on the lower left corner and looks horrible. I don't carry my phone in my pocket and I'm not rough with it. Waste of 30 bucks. My friend has been using the vzw ones, carries it in his pocket without a case and its still perfect.

ZAGG does have a life time warrenty so I'll see if they will replace this one but still its a pain and really an eye sore right now.

I didnt have that experience. Mine is still good.

ice456789

Reaction score
It is most likely a crack that looks like a scratch. It is much easier to crack this screen than to scratch it.

Want to know for sure whether it's a crack or a scratch? Apply very firm pressure directly to the scratch. If it stays the same, it's a scratch. If it grows, it's a crack. This is obviously harmful to your phone but it would settle the discussion. :)

adam8ch

Reaction score
Had one guy give us a lecture about the physics of materials hardness and the fact that essentially nothing short of a diamond would scratch glass. So much for that.

There are other things that are harder than glass besides diamond.

Hardness Substance or Mineral

1 Talc
2 Gypsum
2.5 to 3 pure Gold, Silver
3 Calcite, Copper penny
4 Fluorite
4 to 4.5 Platinum
4 to 5 Iron
5 Apatite
6 Orthoclase
6 Titanium
6.5 Iron pyrite
6 to 7 Glass, Vitreous pure silica
7 Quartz (Crystallized silica)
7 to 7.5 Garnet
7 to 8 Hardened steel
8 Topaz
9 Corundum
10 Diamond
>10 Aggregated diamond nanorods

Anything from 7 up can cut glass

Edit: Also, I got a scratch on my droid. Sister was wearing a diamond earring when I let her use it. Droid up against ear w/ diamond earring = small scratch. I just took it back and got it exchanged for a new one. There are scratch removing liquids, google will probably help you.

As far as screen protectors go, I'm using one from Best Skins Ever, and I am extremely pleased with it. The application process is very forgiving, took me three tries initially, but I got it just right. I was even able to remove it a week later and reapply.

Last edited: