Sapphire 0.8.4 Instability

AuroEdge

Reaction score
I have not had much luck using any of the Froyo custom ROMs. I've installed Sapphire 0.7.0 and 0.8.4 using SPRecovery and then ClockworkMod. Neither gave me good results. I formatted boot, system, data, cache, sd-ext and then installed the ROM. My Droid locks up randomly and I get a ton of force closes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Or are all those people who say they have no issues lying?

52brandon

Reaction score
lol, it's not some vast conspiracy to get you on a ROM that sucks. Did you try re-downloading the ROM? How about ROM manager and PC downloads? I know my phone hates the LV kernels, but they didn't cause FCs... try wiping data and cache after flashing the ROM as well

OP
A

AuroEdge

Reaction score
And here I thought the rumors were true! Truth be told I think it has something to do with the Media Scanner. Most of my music and pictures wouldn't show up in the Music & Gallery apps no matter what I tried. I went back to Android 2.1 yesterday and had no problems with crashing or my missing media.

I initially used ROM manager and moved on to manual flashing when that didn't work out. I might try wiping the data and cache after flashing the ROM idea when a new build is released. I had issues with every release from Bugless Beast to CyanogenMOD to even Sapphire.

wingdo

Reaction score
I might try wiping the data and cache after flashing the ROM idea when a new build is released. I had issues with every release from Bugless Beast to CyanogenMOD to even Sapphire.

You are wiping data and cache BEFORE doing the updates correct?

mkraffert

Reaction score
I have not had much luck using any of the Froyo custom ROMs. I've installed Sapphire 0.7.0 and 0.8.4 using SPRecovery and then ClockworkMod. Neither gave me good results. I formatted boot, system, data, cache, sd-ext and then installed the ROM. My Droid locks up randomly and I get a ton of force closes. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Or are all those people who say they have no issues lying?

I had similar issues with Sapphire. Flashed a standard voltage kernel and the problems went away. Something about the included kernel my phone didn't like.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
And here I thought the rumors were true! Truth be told I think it has something to do with the Media Scanner. Most of my music and pictures wouldn't show up in the Music & Gallery apps no matter what I tried. I went back to Android 2.1 yesterday and had no problems with crashing or my missing media.

I initially used ROM manager and moved on to manual flashing when that didn't work out. I might try wiping the data and cache after flashing the ROM idea when a new build is released. I had issues with every release from Bugless Beast to CyanogenMOD to even Sapphire.

If you want to test it takes only a couple of minutes to do a full nandroid backup (advanced and check everything off) and then wipe data/cache 3 times (does this really help? I know it sure can't hurt). Reinstall and before putting your apps on see if its flaky. The only issue I've had with froyo is the market being slow. On both SS and Sapphire (and I'm still on its default kernel) the problem went away after a couple days and I'm pretty sure I did nothing to fix it.

If it doesn't help just flash back onto the phone the backup you just created.

J

Johnly

I am not lying...good luck with your process
Sent from the Droid

Skull One

Reaction score

Use a standard/medium voltage kernel. Your results are classic symptoms of a voltage issue. My signature has a link that explains the "whys".

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I agree that you should try a different kernel. We all know some Droids will not run with a kernel that is oc'd above 1Ghz, well I think the same may be true for the lower end. Some Droids may not run well with a kernel that has a slot at 125mhz. Try one of P3Droid's other kernels or try a Chevy kernel.

Good luck

BTW, I have been lying about how stable 0.8.4 is on my Droid. I tell people it's totally stable when the truth is it's "INSANELY" stable. No lagging, no reboots, no FC's and all that while running at 1.25Ghz.

wingdo

Reaction score
Some Droids may not run well with a kernel that has a slot at 125mhz. Try one of P3Droid's other kernels or try a Chevy kernel.

I too agree it's the kernel, I'd try one of the 800MHz ones first. While I am not 100% positive, I thought I was told the default stock kernel's lowest speed is 125MHz, if that's correct I would think every Droid can handle the 125 slot. ;)

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Mine has been stable when I stick with the stock kernel. However everytime I try putting a P3 1.2 lv kernel on (the one that was built for sapphire) I start getting random reboots into boot loops. Guess I am stuck with the stock kernel

Skull One

Reaction score
Some Droids may not run well with a kernel that has a slot at 125mhz. Try one of P3Droid's other kernels or try a Chevy kernel.

I too agree it's the kernel, I'd try one of the 800MHz ones first. While I am not 100% positive, I thought I was told the default stock kernel's lowest speed is 125MHz, if that's correct I would think every Droid can handle the 125 slot. ;)

Every Droid can handle 125Mhz as long as the voltage is correct.

OP
A

AuroEdge

Reaction score
Wow, serious amount of advice (and I was kidding about the lying thing; really)! I'm currently on one of the sworn enemy's Eclair ROMs since ClockworkMod would NOT install Sapphire 0.5.2.

Having the latest ClockworkMod flashed, these are my exact steps: 1) format sd card, 2) copy over sapphire-0.8.4-update.zip, 3) Boot into ClockworkMod, goto partitions, format everything but the sdcard, 4) Install the .zip, 5) Reboot device and let it sit for a while so it can do its initial writes and what have you. After all this I still get flaky results with every Froyo.

Going off that I'm gonna go with your guys' hunch that this is a kernel issue. I am able to run a Bekit 1.3GHz Low Voltage kernel on Android 2.1 without issue. So, if I'm going to try a different kernel for the latest Sapphire, might there be a webpage that has kernels designed for it?

EDIT: Google was my friend today. Will these be acceptable choices? http://www.p3designs.info/sapphire/

Last edited:

wingdo

Reaction score
Mine has been stable when I stick with the stock kernel. However everytime I try putting a P3 1.2 lv kernel on (the one that was built for sapphire) I start getting random reboots into boot loops. Guess I am stuck with the stock kernel

Have you tried the 1.1GHz kernel?