Should We Use Any Task Killer with Sapphire 0.8.4?

HavoC

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to flashing scene, and recently flashed Sapphire 0.8.4 to my Moto Droid. I am very happy with the results for the most part, but I have noticed a couple of things:

1. Battery Life seems to be slightly shorter than my previous serup (Stock/OTA 2.1 update 1)
2. Battery temperatures (similar to another thread I just read through) are MUCH higher than before, even when my phone is sitting idle it is sometimes hot when I pick it up, and as I am typing this I am at 40 degrees celsius.

My Setup
I haven't tried installing any kernels so I am running whatever came with the ROM. I am running ADW Launcher (terrific app btw) with only 3 Home Screens, and a total of 10 widgets. Before installing ADW, battery life was a little worse than it is now, but I remember ADW running on my stock/ota 2.1 with much better battery life results.

I use advanced task killer, with the auto kill option enabled, and its aggressiveness is set to medium. I seem to remember reading something about NOT using task killers with custom ROMs, so I figured id ask whether advanced task killer is the cause of my overheating and/or battery issues, or is it something else? If it isn't ATK, any other ideas I could try?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never use a task killer. Most of the threads I've read indicate that task killers cause more problems than they solve. The Android OS will handle the background very nicely.

Mike

J

Johnly

I wonder who thought a "task killer" was needed? Apple army?

OP
HavoC

HavoC

Reaction score
Thanks mwhartman, gonna try letting the phone run for a day or two without the task killer, ill let you guys know what effect it has on my phones performance. The battery life at the moment isn't terrible, but definitely could be better. My main concern is the heat the phone is creating, especially when I'm not even using it.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sapphire has a kernel included. Did you install a custom kernel? if so, lower the speed or try a different kernel.

Mike

OP
HavoC

HavoC

Reaction score
Sapphire has a kernel included. Did you install a custom kernel? if so, lower the speed or try a different kernel.

Mike

Haven't tried any of the custom kernels, based on what I read in another thread in the cvpcs section, others who tried custom kernels with the sapphire 0.8.4 ROM didn't seem to have much success in terms of lowering temperatures, but if anyone (or yourself) have had successful results in doing so, please let me know and I might give it a try. I am hesitant to try another kernel because some of the posts in that thread indicated instability, boot loops, and/or loss of features (loss of wifi, for example) after doing so.

Link to that thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/cvpcs/59912-running-little-hot.html

Thanks again for the help

Last edited:
J

Johnly

I hear sapphire uses P3Droid kernels best....all others are "test"

OP
HavoC

HavoC

Reaction score

Yeah, over on the sapphire wiki page it recommends P3Droid kernels found at this link:

P3Droid Kernels

Anyone have any success with lowering their temperatures with one of these? If so, please let me know which one and if there were any side effects (boot loops, loss of features, etc.)

Thanks

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I run the stock kernel, no temperature issues.

No task killer, no minfreemanager or similar. Default android memory settings.

52brandon

Reaction score
use setcpu, put it on "on demand" and set your profile for "screen off" to 550mhz-125mhz. Saves me lots of battery

OP
HavoC

HavoC

Reaction score
use setcpu, put it on "on demand" and set your profile for "screen off" to 550mhz-125mhz. Saves me lots of battery

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. As a general update, in the couple of hours since I uninstalled ATK, the phone already feels a little cooler.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Yeah, over on the sapphire wiki page it recommends P3Droid kernels found at this link:

P3Droid Kernels

Anyone have any success with lowering their temperatures with one of these? If so, please let me know which one and if there were any side effects (boot loops, loss of features, etc.)

Thanks

P3 put a lot of work into these kernels. I have not had a better kernel on my phone.

captdroid

Reaction score
I run the stock kernel, no temperature issues.

No task killer, no minfreemanager or similar. Default android memory settings.

Same here... I don't use any task killer or special memory management. Just p3droid Sapphire specific 1ghz LV kernel.

As far as temperature at first my phone seemed to be running a bit warmer but after things settled down runs cool and actually resolved overheat/charging problems I was having when using GPS.

I do use setCPU.