Should We Use Any Task Killer with Sapphire 0.8.4?

brochaos

Reaction score
the kernel does seem really good. just a few things i noticed, does sapphire OC for you even if you don't have setCPU? i'm curious cuz i set the max in setcpu to 900, but if i go there after a reboot, it always says max 1000 below the slider even though the slider is set to 900.

also, i went to the info tab on setcpu, to see how many cycles were run at 1000, just to see if it was really the case, but all of the speed slot counts were at 0. my last kernel (chevy) showed these.

anyways, just things i was curious about. kernel and rom are INSANELY good. running stock kernel at 125/1000, and it runs cool, and the ROM itself is super snappy. i did install minfree and set it to aggressive, but i may uninstall it just to see if it really is necessary. right now i'm basically never getting a redraw in LP.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
the kernel does seem really good. just a few things i noticed, does sapphire OC for you even if you don't have setCPU? i'm curious cuz i set the max in setcpu to 900, but if i go there after a reboot, it always says max 1000 below the slider even though the slider is set to 900.

also, i went to the info tab on setcpu, to see how many cycles were run at 1000, just to see if it was really the case, but all of the speed slot counts were at 0. my last kernel (chevy) showed these.

anyways, just things i was curious about. kernel and rom are INSANELY good. running stock kernel at 125/1000, and it runs cool, and the ROM itself is super snappy. i did install minfree and set it to aggressive, but i may uninstall it just to see if it really is necessary. right now i'm basically never getting a redraw in LP.

Yes, it auto overclocks to the Max and Min of the kernel, and sets it to ondemand. if you dont use profiles, then you dont need setCPU.

For some reason P3's kernels dont give those readings. Who knows. *shrugs*

jimmiet

Reaction score

That is an issue with SuperUser 2.2. If you install SuperUser 2.1, that will stop. See this thread here.

brochaos

Reaction score
awesome, thanks for the tip guys. honestly, 125/1000 has been working great, so i'll just leave it be for now. glad i know what the fix is though!

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I keep getting conflicting answers. So the bottom line is dont run ATK with this Rom and temps will run cooler?? Cuz last night i felt my hand burning while browsing through the net on my phone.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep getting conflicting answers. So the bottom line is dont run ATK with this Rom and temps will run cooler?? Cuz last night i felt my hand burning while browsing through the net on my phone.

A task killer isnt going to help with how hot your phone might get while browsing. Though you still shouldn't use a task killer.

OP
HavoC

HavoC

Reaction score

Yeah, after uninstalling ATK last night my temperatures feel much more normal, both while I'm using the phone, and after its been charging and/or sitting. The battery life seems to be great now, and I'm finally seeing the positive effects of the sapphire ROM on it. Thanks again to everyone who helped.

Andrew C

Reaction score
I hear sapphire uses P3Droid kernels best....all others are "test"

Yeah, over on the sapphire wiki page it recommends P3Droid kernels found at this link:

P3Droid Kernels

Anyone have any success with lowering their temperatures with one of these? If so, please let me know which one and if there were any side effects (boot loops, loss of features, etc.)

Thanks

I had great success in lowering my temps by switching from the standard voltage 1000 kernel to the low voltage 800 kernel. Neither kernel had any side effects with the exception of the SV 1000 kernel running too hot. Even the stock kernel ran hot.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Also set profiles using SetCPU to control battery life and heat issues with the kernels.

Just a suggestion.......

it would be great if the SetCPU profiles and ATK can be built in the Rom in the next release. This way your phone can be set on cruise control and dont have to worry about a thing......dancedroid

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also set profiles using SetCPU to control battery life and heat issues with the kernels.

Just a suggestion.......

it would be great if the SetCPU profiles and ATK can be built in the Rom in the next release. This way your phone can be set on cruise control and dont have to worry about a thing......dancedroid

This will most likely never happen. I can't speak for cvpcs, but i think he agrees that a script or something of the sort should not be used to control the clock speeds. And ATK is unnecessary in the fact that Android does good enough :)

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score

Just a suggestion.......

This will most likely never happen. I can't speak for cvpcs, but i think he agrees that a script or something of the sort should not be used to control the clock speeds. And ATK is unnecessary in the fact that Android does good enough :)

Doesnt BB have that script to control setcpu in his Rom?? So its possible..:)

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Doesnt BB have that script to control setcpu in his Rom?? So its possible..:)

Not saying that it isn't possible, but that you shouldn't let a script control your phone's speeds.

I honestly don't see the harm in using setCPU. I mean, profiles beat 1 less app an day...

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
Good thing someone mentioned we dont need ATK cuz my phone is running smoother and temp got lower now compared to yesterday.....:icon_ banana: