Samsung Stratosphere Now Available From Verizon for $149

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
stratosphere.png

It's Thursday so you know what that means...new phones from Verizon...or specifically one new phone. Verizon has released their newest 4G LTE device, the Samsung Stratosphere. It's a mid-range device aimed at business users and consumers who want a keyboard and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a 4G device. Some of the specs include:
  • 5 Row QWERTY Keyboard
  • 5MP Camera with a 1.3MP Front Facing Camera
  • 480P video recording
  • 4" Super AMOLED Display with WVGA display
  • Android 2.3 Gingerbread
  • 1GHz Single Core processor
  • 1800 mAh battery
  • Comes with 4GB internal memory and 4GB SD card
It's only $149 so go pick yours up at your local Verizon store or online.

Source: Verizon Wireless

T
hanks Truss! :)

jet

Reaction score
Ordered one for the wife (upgrade) for $0.00 from Walmart this morning.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
waiting to see if there is in hacking community on this.. my sister wants a slider with 4g this is it ..

chewy74

Reaction score
how do I order this through walmart and retain my grandfathered unlimited data plan?

I also tried to upgrade/purchase trhough the VZW website and got this message saying
The device you're activating is not compatible with the Data plan you currently have. Some devices require specific plans. In order to begin using your device, you need to select a new Data plan.
Prior to ordering i contacted a VZW support staff online and he said this:

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with 'Derrika'
Derrika: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: I am a grandfathered unlimited plan customer looking to upgrade my phone to the samsung stratospher and wanted to know how to order online?
Derrika: Are you logged into your My Verizon account?
Vic: no i am not
Derrika: Are you looking to place your order now?
Vic: no, i am actually inquiring for my wifes upgrade
Derrika: No problem, you will log into your account and see the option to upgrade and the order will begin there.
Vic: great, so the system will recognize she is a customer that has a grandfathered unlimited data plan?
Derrika: Yes, that is correct.
Vic: Great, thats all I need to know. I will let her know to order from the vzw website. thank you for your assistance
Derrika: You are welcome, is there anything else I can assist you with today?
Vic: no, thats it. thanks again and have a great day

so what gives?

DamirD1984

Reaction score
the 1800mah battery is very nice too...

its not a bad phone at all, tested it in the VW store today, and it has very nice performance, could not notice any lag between screens. Did a speedtest to test 4G, and it scored a nice 14Mbps download, and 10-12Mbps upload... did about 6-8 consecutive tests, all consistent around that numbers, and it was done at around 330PM central time... Well, same internal hardware as the Charge, a lil smaller screen, but considering that you still get the whole screen when using the hardware qwerty, its not noticable at all. The thickness is not bad at all, my OG Droid was bout just as thick, but because its taller and wider, does not seem bulky at all.

Very nice phone indeed, and it'll do anything you throw at it...

OP
Arkbird

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well it's not a bad phone at all. I'm just puzzled as to why it doesn't take HD video even with the 1GHz processor but I guess if you get this phone, it's not for the camera or video.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

jet

Reaction score
how do I order this through walmart and retain my grandfathered unlimited data plan?

so what gives?

I'm not sure. My wife is upgrading from a Razzle so she didn't have a data plan at all. You might call the Walmart/letstalk and see what they can do.

jleeusa

Reaction score

Double check the amount on that, a Verizon Rep told me that Walmarts free isn't all that free. I've not bought a phone there so I don't know for sure, just a heads up.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

jet

Reaction score
If it isn't then the cost is well hidden. Did the Verizon Rep say how it was not free?

Samsung Stratosphere (Verizon Wireless)
$479.99$479.991$0.00
Samsung Micro USB Car Charger$14.951$14.95
Shipping: Standard$0.00$0.00
Tax: AZ$0.00

CURRENT CHARGES TO BE BILLED BY: LetsTalk
Product Description Price Discount Qty Subtotal
Total to be charged $14.95

jleeusa

Reaction score
I think it may have had more to do with you monthly bill having charges on it than at the time of purchase. I'm sorry I don't know more and I don't want to start rumors but a free phone the day it releases seems to good to be true. Hopefully its legit.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

chewy74

Reaction score
my wife was able to get it through vzw.

i looked at the walmart wireless site and it doesnt have anything in the faq section or help sections...theres very little info on it...but i agree with jleeusa, ive never seen a phone on release day being offered up as a free upgrade...especially one like this.

you will probably end up with a extra monthly charger per month for the cost of the phone...

jet

Reaction score
It could be Letstalk.com's equipment recovery fee. If you terminate the contract after the 14-days but before 181 days there is a $250 fee in addition to Verizon's $350 early termination fee. The insurance is also paid up front instead of monthly like Asurion.

I hope there is nothing else. I don't find anything in the various LetsTalk.com reviews.

chewy74

Reaction score
Wife just got this in the mail and I was surprised at how annoyed I got seeing all the vzw bloatware.

Anyone working on rooting this?

jet

Reaction score
The phone arrived but the 4G LTE SIM card did not fit, it was a little too wide. They are to send out a replacement today.