Samsung SM-G900S Benchmarks Could Be SGS5; 2K Display, Android KitKat and 2.5GHz CPU

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
gfx-bench-sm-g900s-dec-2013.png

We just found some benchmarks of a previously unknown Samsung device (Model SM-G900S) with very impressive specs. Could this be the Galaxy S5?

You might want a tissue to wipe the drool off your chin when you see some of the specs on this bad boy. Interestingly, the processor is "only" a Snapdragon 800 with the Adreno 300 GPU (although it is running at a blazing 2.5GHz). It's also important to note that this device is likely a prototype, so it could come with Snapdragon's next-gen 805 processor instead when it actually comes to market. Regardless of the speculation, the benchmarks were impressive, and here are the specs revealed by the benchmarks:
  • 5+ Inch 2K (2560x1440 pixels screen resolution) 560ppi Super AMOLED Display
  • Android 4.4 KitKat
  • 2.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor
Check out the source link below for all of the benchmark details.

Source: GFXBench

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
2K display!? Why? There are very few TVs on the market that can do it. Why in a phone? I feel like they keep pushing this stuff because phones are kind of on a plateau right now. There isn't much right now to do to the hardware to make it better, so they add stuff that is not needed.

Caesars

Reaction score
Because people fall for any kinda hype hehe.

Note 3 <Caesars>

Asgard

Reaction score
2K display!? Why? There are very few TVs on the market that can do it. Why in a phone? I feel like they keep pushing this stuff because phones are kind of on a plateau right now. There isn't much right now to do to the hardware to make it better, so they add stuff that is not needed.

You beat me to it, I was going to ask WHY?
Panasonic has a 4k tablet on the way, supposedly apple, samsung and LG are working on that too, but I can't even comprehend why do people need that resolution when I just saw the 720p screen of the Moto G and it looks really good.

The resolution race is turning into a d**k waving contest at this point.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Panasonic has a 4k tablet on the way, supposedly apple, samsung and LG are working on that too, but I can't even comprehend why do people need that resolution when I just saw the 720p screen of the Moto G and it looks really good.

I have 1080p on my Note 3 and I think that screen size is the only size that needs 1080p. Also, its not the feature I cared about when I bought it. It looks gorgeous. I can record in 4k on my Note 3 but don't care either. Its a pain and eats TONS of storage space.

Asgard

Reaction score
I have 1080p on my Note 3 and I think that screen size is the only size that needs 1080p. Also, its not the feature I cared about when I bought it. It looks gorgeous. I can record in 4k on my Note 3 but don't care either. Its a pain and eats TONS of storage space.

Not to mention the big hit on battery because of the GPU demands by using higher and higher resolutions, while battery technology is the one that advances less each year.

I would be more surprised when someone is reporting something like the 1800mAh/g theoretical capacitance of Si anode batteries is achieved.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Not to mention the big hit on battery because of the GPU demands by using higher and higher resolutions, while battery technology is the one that advances less each year.

I would be more surprised when someone is reporting something like the 1800mAh/g theoretical capacitance of Si anode batteries is achieved.
\

I'm waiting see batteries that incorporate graphene technology in them.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score

It's called saturation, most smartphones nowadays are very similar, and they all do the same thing. More than 720p on a 5" smartphone is a waste, all it does is consume more battery power, what these companies need to focus on is the battery, not more pixels.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What I don't get is why they are dumping money into useless display resolution and skimping on ram (though this is rumored to have 4 gigs!), storage and SD cards. And although the megapixel race appears to have cooled in cameras, there is a lot more that could be done there.

Particularly when you look at tablets, storage should be far and away the #1 focus, since they are primarily content/media devices that most people don't have mobile plans for.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Why bother on mega displays that chew up battery power, and then tell the consumer they can't 'afford' to place a micro SD card on board due to cost.
The micro SD card is a huge deal to most, it affords people the ability to easily transfer data from device to device and this one 'feature' should never be eliminated.
Most video systems have difficulty displaying high resolution images, and storage of same eats up memory, GPU clock speeds and does nothing to improve the user/device interface.
Most people do not connect their phones to their TVs on a daily basis,so I see no point in super resolution screens, either.
Memory is always forgotten, most devices are supported with the most meager of RAM allocations, and they want us to rejoice in this?
I wish they would refrain from skimping on memory, and begin making 64GB the smallest allocation, and the excuse it costs more is ridiculous, it's not THAT much more to supply a phone or tablet with 64GB of base memory, over 16 or 32GB, RAM is NOT that costly in this day and age.
With processor speeds climbing well into the gHz. range, their speeds and multi-core designs cry out for higher base memories, but they strangle the devices with their offerings of 1GB, which is insane!
This is why DOS is a failed program, it can't support anything above 64K, and the devices offered now, are rapidly running into this same issue with apps requiring more memory to run properly and smoothly.
The lower the memory, the slower the screens redraw, the resolution suffers and becomes laggy with latency issues in games, character draws begin to look again like Mech Warrior of 1990.
The consumers must force the designers to offer more RAM in their devices, or suffer loss with nobody buying them, until we stand firm and force the issue, this folly will not cease.

The Pac-Man and Asteroid Hunter days are over, it's time to step up to the modern world and start offering larger memory offerings in their devices as standard.
You've increased the processor speeds, made the GPUs faster, made the screens far better, but still refuse to sell a device with real capability built-in from the start.
I get the feeling I may need to start designing add-on boards with real memory, starting at 128GB, maybe if they start losing money, they will change their tune?
Who wouldn't want 128GB as a base memory range to work with?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
They trickle out the ram and storage so you're forced to upgrade every few years as apps chew up more and more of both (also why they lock devices down to prevent custom roms, even if Android is advancing at a snail's pace these days). They COULD crank out a beast of a phone and still increase marginal profits (in the short-run)...but then you wouldn't need to upgrade for years and instead just opt to replace the battery once or twice.

The actual screen resolution has nothing to do with what a phone can output to a tv. This all comes down to the fact that the average consumer looks at the spec sheets and says "hmmm...560 dpi must be a better value than 440....13 megapixels must be better than 8"