Samsung Has Found The Cause Of Exploding Note 7 Devices.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
6a0120a5580826970c01b7c8933673970b-800wi

Samsung told us following the final Note 7 recall that they would be launching an internal investigation to find out the exact cause of the Note 7 fires. After extensive investigation it would appear that Samsung is prepared to place most of the blame on faulty batteries. This is somewhat troubling as Samsung had found "good batteries", and then those phones ended up being faulty as well. This seemed to point to other issues like possibly an issue with software or design.

Reuters is reporting that Samsung will soon put most of the blame on faulty batteries. This could also mean that there are a combination of issues and that they battery was the main culprit. Samsung was able to replicate battery files during the investigation. If batteries end up being the main culprit this is good news for Samsung as they can simply fix the battery production process or just buy batteries from another factory. This would mean that their design won't have to be reimagined from scratch. We will have the official reports from Samsung in the coming weeks.

via Reuters

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
And.... it's not JUST the batteries... it's also the compartment that the battery sits in... there is not enough room for the battery to expand.... but lets all chill and wait to see what Samsung actually says.

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
6a0120a5580826970c01b7c8933673970b-800wi

Samsung told us following the final Note 7 recall that they would be launching an internal investigation to find out the exact cause of the Note 7 fires. After extensive investigation it would appear that Samsung is prepared to place most of the blame on faulty batteries. This is somewhat troubling as Samsung had found "good batteries", and then those phones ended up being faulty as well. This seemed to point to other issues like possibly an issue with software or design.

Reuters is reporting that Samsung will soon put most of the blame on faulty batteries. This could also mean that there are a combination of issues and that they battery was the main culprit. Samsung was able to replicate battery files during the investigation. If batteries end up being the main culprit this is good news for Samsung as they can simply fix the battery production process or just buy batteries from another factory. This would mean that their design won't have to be reimagined from scratch. We will have the official reports from Samsung in the coming weeks.

via Reuters
Interesting that they went straight to the batteries. From a strategical position that makes sense.

The fact that, as you wrote, replacement batteries caught fire as well leads me to question whether it was more than just the batteries or were the replacement batteries faulty?

This leads me to then question if any other Samsung device's batteries came from the same faulty batch or if the combination of the note design played also in the factor of the fires.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
And.... it's not JUST the batteries... it's also the compartment that the battery sits in... there is not enough room for the battery to expand.... but lets all chill and wait to see what Samsung actually says.

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

Sadly, that solution is easy. Smaller batteries which equates to worse battery life. Prepare for some 2500mAh goodness.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Time to start looking into and getting the ball rolling on the Next Big thing to replace L-ION Batteries.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sadly, that solution is easy. Smaller batteries which equates to worse battery life. Prepare for some 2500mAh goodness.
A puncture/thin skin in a smaller battery would just result in a smaller fire.
I'm inclined to believe something software caused undo stress on the batteries, revealing any micro flaws. If the software that tells the charger to stop charging at a certain threshold is off, stress. If the temperature that throws the phone into safety is off, stress. That's just 2 off the top of my head.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think it was from the Russians trying to hack into those phones that caused all the overheating and fires.
This just underscores the problems with current battery technology. We are all carrying around potential little fire bombs in our pockets. New battery technology can fix that, but it's a way off yet. I do agree with you others that said it probably is something more than just the batteries. I think it was a combination of things that led to the problem. It's easy to blame the batteries. Dang Russians.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
A puncture/thin skin in a smaller battery would just result in a smaller fire.
I'm inclined to believe something software caused undo stress on the batteries, revealing any micro flaws. If the software that tells the charger to stop charging at a certain threshold is off, stress. If the temperature that throws the phone into safety is off, stress. That's just 2 off the top of my head.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

A lot of people believed that Samsung didnt' give enough space inside the phone to allow for the expansion a battery during charging. If that has any truth, a physically smaller battery could fix it, but it would be a smaller mAh too. Thats what I meant.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
A lot of people believed that Samsung didnt' give enough space inside the phone to allow for the expansion a battery during charging. If that has any truth, a physically smaller battery could fix it, but it would be a smaller mAh too. Thats what I meant.
An easier fix, without sacrificing overall battery MaH, would be to stop making phone so damn thin that you can't hold onto them properly without a case.....or small elf hands! Easy peasy!

S7 Edge tap'n

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nothing wrong with making the Phone a little Thicker. All this focus on Thin phone is nuts. Im happy with my Z Force with the Battery Mod and the size doesnt bother me.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with making the Phone a little Thicker. All this focus on Thin phone is nuts. Im happy with my Z Force with the Battery Mod and the size doesnt bother me.
I always used extended batteries on my dumbphones for the extra girth to make it easier to hold onto.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I can understand with the larger screen you dont want them wider or taller. heck you dont want a tablet but thicker is fine. Fatten them up with a nice large battery!

Reactions: cr6

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
An easier fix, without sacrificing overall battery MaH, would be to stop making phone so damn thin that you can't hold onto them properly without a case.....or small elf hands! Easy peasy!

S7 Edge tap'n

Yup, my Pixel isn't super thin, has a big battery and doesn't catch fire!