Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Specs Rumored Again; 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
The problem is as long a you don't have removable storage you will need to rely on the cloud. This eats your data. I want immediate offline access to my files. I have my 32GB Turbo with about 1GB free. My DCIM folder is ~11GB with Pics and Video I've taken. Normally this would be on a 128GB microsd so no big deal. Plus having an SD does offer phone backup options especially with Root. I have a shared data plan and in the long run costs considerably more than a 128GB micro over a 2 month period. Besides I hate streaming and waiting for my info. But that's just me. I prefer MicroSD anyday. Until I switched from my Note 2 to the Turbo it was about 1 month before I missed it. This very well may be a deal breaker for future Samsung Devices in my home.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Last edited:

jbal52

Reaction score
But do you sell phones on a daily basis? I do. Therefore I am allowed to comment Just teasing you, of course.
Apple has been successful without expandable storage. The problem is that we are USED to being able to pop in a card, or pop out the battery that we are quick to talk negative about the change. Remember when Moto did it? Same reaction. It's more frustrating for Samsung because they were the first ones to flaunt being able to add memory in Apple's face.

Sent from my Verizon G4
Apple is successful without any expandable storage even though they lag behind in most technology now but have mindless sheep that follow their ridiculous marketing claims. They also were successful in buying celebrities so all of their fans feel they are must haves

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
The problem is as long a you don't have removable storage you will need to rely on the cloud. This eats your data. I want immediate offline access to my files. I have my 32GB Turbo with about 1GB free. My DCIM folder is ~11GB with Pics and Video I've taken. Normally this would be on a 128GB microsd so no big deal. Plus having an SD does offer phone backup options especially with Root. I have a shared data plan and in the long run costs considerably more than a 128GB micro over a 2 month period. Besides I hate streaming and waiting for my info. But that's just me. I prefer MicroSD anyday. Until I switched from my Note 2 to the Turbo it was about 1 month before I missed it. This very well may be a deal breaker for future Samsung Devices in my home.

So would 64gb of onboard storage be enough? It won't be much longer and 16GB will fall off of the face of the earth, then 32GB will follow suit.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So would 64gb of onboard storage be enough? It won't be much longer and 16GB will fall off of the face of the earth, then 32GB will follow suit.
I found out the other day we sell 4GB micro sd cards. Class 4.For $19. I think that's about what I paid for my 64GB Class 10 H(? whatever the letters are that mean 100Mbps read speed/48Mbps write speed). I haven't used a 4GB card since around the turn of the century. I didn't think anyone but Walgreens still sold them.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
It may be but when you see phones with 128GB onboard. that would be more to my liking. plus less Bloat. Then I could do without External Storage, maybe, lol

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Again, 1 minute of 4k video takes up 400mb. While 20mpx picture takes up to 10mb. My phone isn't even a year old but I've already used up 41gb out of 160 available. Mostly pictures/videos and a bit of music.

Phones that come with 16gb storage are only able to record about 20 minutes of 4k video before running into out of storage errors.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm shooting pics at 16MP (5312x2988) at 6.6mb per photo. 20MP would be awesome!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Back to the OP.....I'm not sure DDR4 is going to do much for phones other than make them cost more (although thumbs up for 4gigs). I've read the performance increase over DDR3 is negligible, but you do pick-up about 20% power savings - which means slightly more power usage over 3 gigs of DDR3.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm sure 4gig over 3 will be noticeable in certain stand alone applications. But where you'll see the biggest difference is with multitasking, which the Note series is known for.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm sure 4gig over 3 will be noticeable in certain stand alone applications. But where you'll see the biggest difference is with multitasking, which the Note series is known for.

S5 tap'n

Oh, I agree 4 gigs of ram is an upgrade (although I'm not sure every app is programmed to take advantage - I don't feel like my launcher and GReader are optimized for even 3 gigs).

My point was DDR4 isn't going to offer much over DDR3...some battery savings, but ram doesn't consume much power to begin with. You'll pay a premium (unnecessarily) for DDR4, and then Sammie will further gouge you on it being the "latest and greatest".

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
They coupled DDR4 ram with their new US 2.0 cards for maximum effect. Tests show a much improved R/W speed with the combo.

4k is recordable straight to a microsd?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It is on my S5.
S5 tap'n

Just tried it on my Edge as well and it works. There is a delay after pressing the stop button so I wonder if it is transferring video from the internal to external?

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I never noticed any delay before, but I haven't shot any video in awhile. I just did a test and the "delay" on mine is exactly the same whether I'm saving it to internal or external sd card. Once you hit the stop button it says "processing" and takes maybe a second at most to process.

S5 tap'n