Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Rumors Already In-Bound: 4K Display?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Galaxy-Note-concept-render.jpeg

Earlier this morning we already shared a new Samsung rumor regarding the Galaxy S6. It's probably not too early for those rumors considering the phone will likely be launched within the next 4-5 months. However, this next rumor could easily fall under the category of "too early." The newest Sammy rumor-mill is already talking about the Galaxy Note 5! The Galaxy Note 4 only started showing up on retail shelves about a month ago...

Still, it's hard not to be curious about any rumor we hear about upcoming devices, even if they are almost a year ahead of time. This one claims that the Galaxy Note 5 will have a 4K display... a 5.9-inch UHD 4K (2,160 x 3,840 resolution) AMOLED display to be specific. It's certainly debatable whether a rumor that is one year ahead might be... it's also debatable as to whether a 4K display (even on a 5.9-inch size screen) is actually beneficial at all. What are your thoughts?

Update: the above image is a Galaxy Note concept image found randomly on the web.

Source: Phandroid

Last edited:

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
SMH let's be a little more innovative than increasing the resolution every generation..

on the move..

combatmedic870

Reaction score

Earlier this morning we already shared a new Samsung rumor regarding the Galaxy S6. It's probably not too early for those rumors considering the phone will likely be launched within the next 4-5 months. However, this next rumor could easily fall under the category of "too early." The newest Sammy rumor-mill is already talking about the Galaxy Note 5! The Galaxy Note 4 only started showing up on retail shelves about a month ago...

Still, it's hard not to be curious about any rumor we hear about upcoming devices, even if they are almost a year ahead of time. This one claims that the Galaxy Note 5 will have a 4K display... a 5.9-inch UHD 4K (2,160 x 3,840 resolution) AMOLED display to be specific. It's certainly debatable whether a rumor that is one year ahead might be... it's also debatable as to whether a 4K display (even on a 5.9-inch size screen) is actually beneficial at all. What are your thoughts?

What ever phone is in that picture. I want it. Stylus and weather sealing and usb3! Why did they remove usb3 off of the note 4???

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I was really excited for the note 4, until it was released other then a few tweaks it was same size and shape as the note 3. Samesung just being Samesung.

badtoy1986

Reaction score
I was really excited for the note 4, until it was released other then a few tweaks it was same size and shape as the note 3. Samesung just being Samesung.

Really? So much better screen, camera, and S-Pen. Although incremental, the processor bump brings with it some nice performance and battery life improvements.

How is that a "few tweaks"?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Edge Alpha, going to try and come up with the longest device name in the business.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What ever phone is in that picture. I want it. Stylus and weather sealing and usb3! Why did they remove usb3 off of the note 4???
Sorry to get your hopes up... the image is just an artist's concept render.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Really? So much better screen, camera, and S-Pen. Although incremental, the processor bump brings with it some nice performance and battery life improvements.

How is that a "few tweaks"?

Agreed.

Having owned the Note 3 and now owning the Note 4, I have to say it's a considerable step forward in several ways. The screen, the camera, the speed, and the in hand feel are all significantly improved over the Note 3.

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I have the Note 3 and never paid that much attention to the Note 4 talk. Curious, yes, but kept up only as a partial observer. I think the real jump for anyone on a Note 3 is the Note 5. I think the Note 4 is more for people on the Note 2 or even who were still on the first Note. Same as when I got the Droid X2. That phone wasn't meant to be the next step for Droid X owners but for people winding down on their 2-year contracts with the OG Droid and wanted a bigger screen.

badtoy1986

Reaction score
I can completely see where you are coming from with that argument. We have been getting more and more into small incremental upgrades with new releases because the tech is starting to hit a wall and no one is really coming up with much that is "new"... and interesting. I experience this a lot since I'm on the T-Mobile JUMP plan. I upgrade every 6 months (why not I pay for it right...) and most of the time it feels like a similar device in a different package. But for me the jump from the Note 3 to the Note 4 is the biggest upgrade that I can remember in a device lineup in the last two years or so; other than maybe the Moto X.

bigdad63

Reaction score

Update: the above image is a Galaxy Note concept image found randomly on the web.

I won't give a crap about Samsung until they put at least 1 high quality speaker on the front of their phones.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I think people take these "small" bumps in specs for granted. It is easy to get caught up in the question of what does a new phone bring to the table?

Most people do not upgrade phones every year. There isn't a need to. However, just take the Note 4 as an example:

Amoled screen that outperforms LCD screens in every department: color clarity, color range, battery consumption. Not only is it the best screen on the market it also consumes less power than the previous model. Every review says this screen is the best they have ever seen. The screen is also the most important part of a touchscreen device.

Processor: A "minimally" upgraded processor is now pushing that huge resolution while at the same time consuming less power and keeping the performance above the bar.

Camera: OIS. That alone is a huge upgrade. Now couple that with a better lense and better sensors.

Battery: It's basically the same sized battery that is maintaining and sometimes outperforming the previous generation's battery times between charges.

If you look at it as simple as "oh look it got a bump in specs." the overall picture is being missed.

Step back in time to the Note 2, S3. Then pick up an S5 or Note 4 and those incremental upgrades start looking a little different.

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I can completely see where you are coming from with that argument. We have been getting more and more into small incremental upgrades with new releases because the tech is starting to hit a wall and no one is really coming up with much that is "new"... and interesting. I experience this a lot since I'm on the T-Mobile JUMP plan. I upgrade every 6 months (why not I pay for it right...) and most of the time it feels like a similar device in a different package. But for me the jump from the Note 3 to the Note 4 is the biggest upgrade that I can remember in a device lineup in the last two years or so; other than maybe the Moto X.

That's good news about the Note 3 to Note 4 difference. I will certainly be tracking the development of the Note 5 to see where the Note series goes next.