Samsung Galaxy Note 5 May Include An SdCard Slot Afterall?!!!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge released a few months ago loyal Samsung customers were mostly infuriated to find that the devices did not include a removable battery or sdcard slot. Sometimes this is the cost of design innovation. We are constantly screaming for a more premium device, and Samsung delivered but at the cost of the removable battery and micro sdcard slot. There is now a report saying that the Note 5 may come with an Sdcard slot!

The source found a document from Sprint which gives specs for the Galaxy Note 5 model number SM-N920P. It shows the device as having 32 GB of on board storage and shows the word "yes" next to "external memory slot". This would be able to support 128GB of storage. The document also states the phone will launch with Android 5.1 Lollipop and the same 5mp and 16mp cameras found on the Galaxy S6. The document also states that the device will come with a QuadHD display. This could all be smoke and mirrors. It wouldn't seem logical for Samsung to go this route, but I would be happy if they did.

Via Table.ty

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung never said it would not have one.

you are correct

It was universally assumed that the Note 5 would follow the design ques of the S6 and as such would not include an sdcard slot. That's what we get for assuming. Still this is some pretty exciting news.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hopefully they keep the SD card.. I like the way Sony has it with Sim/SD card tray

Tapped by NexusSix

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The camera specs are awesome as well.

Amagine

Reaction score
Given that I ran with Moto devices for a long time, I can give up the removable battery. IF they have an SDcard slot.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
While I have and use an sd card, this doesn't change my decision. 1. I wasn't going to be ready to upgrade when this device comes out. 2. I'm sold on waiting to see what the next nexus devices look like for my next phone.

I've been on the Samsung train long enough and this is my stop.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
you are correct

It was universally assumed that the Note 5 would follow the design ques of the S6 and as such would not include an sdcard slot. That's what we get for assuming. Still this is some pretty exciting news.

It is exciting. I am not sure if I will upgrade this year since my Note Edge looks like it may not have a new model being released, but if they do include the sdcard it will make a lot of people happier.

While I have and use an sd card, this doesn't change my decision. 1. I wasn't going to be ready to upgrade when this device comes out. 2. I'm sold on waiting to see what the next nexus devices look like for my next phone.

I've been on the Samsung train long enough and this is my stop.

I'm am waiting to see the Nexus devices as well. Not for a purchasing stand point, but to see if there will be two models as the rumors suggest.

I've never owned a Nexus device because I don't care for the watered down stock Android experience nor do I care for their UI. I do like the idea of updates coming from Google.

I would love it if Google forced OEMS to ship with stock Android and then make the OEMS tweak the software later so I could have the best of both worlds...a user experience that I expect and updates in a timely manner.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Unfortunately, my latest experience with a nexus device was the Galaxy Nexus & vzw really messed up the update experience for that one.

But, my intro to android was vanilla on the G1, so I'm kinda partial to Google's idea of how a device should look & act. That's not to say there aren't features of touchwiz that I've forgotten aren't stock & will have to cope with not having, but I did similar when I left moto blur for the gnex, so I'm confident I'll be alright.

I'm also interested to see if they go with 2 sizes/oems. Will be interesting to see.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I think I am the only person that I know that doesn't have a beef with TouchWiz. I haven't used a launcher since the S3 which is something I would have to do on a Nexus phone.

To be honest, the updates from Google lately haven't included a single thing that I have felt that I MUST have. The only exception to that was the introduction of ART.

With all of their promises of better coding being prioritized for even better battery life getting washed down the drain with every release it seems like they are going backwards to me.

With Samsung I know what I am getting. The best screen. The best camera. The best user experience. That's why I have stuck with them.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't really have a beef with TouchWiz, but there are lots of "features" included in it that I find myself turning off when I first get a phone and not using. There are other features that I'm sure will be difficult to live without until I find a suitable third party app.

I like the idea of shipping the devices stock (or more close to stock) and then being able to download bits and pieces as an add on. That would make me feel better about sticking with any manufacturer that adds their own touch to android. It's just that the things that I don't use always outnumber the few little features that I find to be nice.

I'm no photographer, but camera will be a big one on my list of things to check out before getting my next device. Aside from the fact that I was ready to try a phablet, that's what sold me on the Note 4 instead of the Moto X. When I saw comparisons of each of those devices' cameras, it sold me on the Samsung device.

With that said, I could settle for a device with a camera not as good as I've had on Samsung devices, but still a bit better in some situations than what I've seen other oems put out.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It's great we all have choices and different likes.. just love love plain Android.. Nexus is just perfect to me... no fluff.. no stutter.. even with smoothness in other UI.. Nothing compares to me as stock.. Nexus FTW! haha

Tapped by NexusSix