No SDcard Slot For The Note 5?!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I think the prices of these phones for extra space is really what we should be concerned.. Hopefully with all the newer phones coming out at better price points will help all around..

It's nice having that extra space..Haha

uploadfromtaptalk1436783069885.png
uploadfromtaptalk1436783078619.png

Z3+tapatalk

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was reading a similar discussion elsewhere and had to laugh when someone stated that they would never need 32Gb of data. Reminded me saying years (many) ago when I got a computer with a 700Mb (yes Mb!) hard drive and could not figure out what I ever would need that much for. In less than 2 years it ran out of space and I had to buy a new one (and yes it was a mac).

It is not that you will never need 32GB of storage... It is that you won't need it for that phone. By the time you need more, 64gb will be the norm to come on a phone...

Yeah, people said you would never need a lot of RAM on a PC. Now you do, however, nobody is still running a Pentium 100Mhz, so the argument is rather moot, no? ;-)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The iSheep don't seem to mind, the people with Droid Turbo's, the new S6 line and any of the Nexus devices don't seem to mind either...

I once thought as you did, but the reality is that for 99.9% of the people out there, the onboard storage is more than adequate, and by the time you need more, you will have a new phone anyway...

It is more of a perception of "I have all this space if I need it", and you either never need it, or you just copy tons of crap to it "because it is there", that in most cases you wouldn't bother or miss it if it wasn't an option...

Like I said, I have several MicroSD cards sitting here, hardly anything on them, because it just doesn't matter.

Unless you have a ton of work files or things to transport regularly and don't want a thumb drive... Or, I do see the benefit of you having 7 years of pictures on your phone and if the phone falls into the toilet you are hosed... But MicroSD cards can fail, they can get corrupted, and if you lose the phone, well, you lost that too.

Much better to periodically back that folder up to your PC, or better yet, push it to your Google Drive... Unless the interwebs blows up, you are covered that way. haha

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have this little quirk. It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Yeah I'll survive, probably even prosper, if removable stuff goes away but.....

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So the S6 is outselling the S5 which had more features. It looks like the average person doesn't care about sdcards or removable batteries.

You could only make this statement if Sammie sold the same phone with and without SD cards....and I predict most people would buy the cheaper, 16GB model with sd card. Sammie and Apple know this, which is a big part of why the SD isn't an option because they gouge you for the extra storage.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
You could only make this statement if Sammie sold the same phone with and without SD cards....and I predict most people would buy the cheaper, 16GB model with sd card. Sammie and Apple know this, which is a big part of why the SD isn't an option because they gouge you for the extra storage.

I don't agree with that. The S6 is outpacing the S5. Why would people that care about sdcards and removable batteries buy the S6? Right now it should be the S4 owners upgrading. That was Sammy's best selling phone to date. Are those people moving on to different OEMs?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why would people that care about sdcards and removable batteries buy the S6?

Because they like Samsung and they need a phone. By your logic I didn't care about an SD card because I bought the Turbo, and that would be horribly wrong. I needed a phone and it was the best overall choice out there for me.

Your logic that people who buy the S6 don't care about SD cards is terribly flawed. But clearly people DO buy higher storage devices when they have the option...i.e. Apple has typically had about 3 different storage options, Turbo had 2 (I bought the 64gig one). Those people would be stupid to pay a $100 premium for an extra 32 gigs when they could get 4X that for half the price with an SD card.

The fact we continue to have these debates proves your wrong. Ever higher capacity drives in computers proves your wrong. Most people may not care, but I'd guess at least 20% of buyers would choose an sd slot if they had the option. Or how do you explain why most tablets have them? Plenty of people watch a lot of video and movies on their phone.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Most people only buy higher storage devices when they don't have an extSD card option.
I know if I had the choice today between my S5 and its current removable battery & ext sd card or the S6 without (for the same price), I'd still buy the S5. Not only does it have these two features, (that are important to me) but battery life is much better on the S5s 1080p screen. Even though the S6s processor is utilized to help in this area, you still can't get through a full day if you're a moderate to heavy user.
This is one of those scenarios where those folks that don't have a device with these two options are going to tell those that do, it isn't necessary. There is no right or wrong answer here. We each use our devices differently and we like what we like. Having more options will always trump not having options, but when people are "forced" to adapt, they will. I know I could adapt, but that doesn't mean I should have to because someone else thinks they know what's best for me.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Because they like Samsung and they need a phone. By your logic I didn't care about an SD card because I bought the Turbo, and that would be horribly wrong. I needed a phone and it was the best overall choice out there for me.

Your logic that people who buy the S6 don't care about SD cards is terribly flawed. But clearly people DO buy higher storage devices when they have the option...i.e. Apple has typically had about 3 different storage options, Turbo had 2 (I bought the 64gig one). Those people would be stupid to pay a $100 premium for an extra 32 gigs when they could get 4X that for half the price with an SD card.

The fact we continue to have these debates proves your wrong. Ever higher capacity drives in computers proves your wrong. Most people may not care, but I'd guess at least 20% of buyers would choose an sd slot if they had the option. Or how do you explain why most tablets have them? Plenty of people watch a lot of video and movies on their phone.

You are basing your statements upon personal opinions. 20%...where did that number come from. I doubt that you could find 20% of sdcard phone owners that have an SDcard in it.

There are more options than Samsung when it comes to purchasing phones. Why would they not move over to another OEM if they HAD to have an sdcard? It's not happening and it's not going to start happening. With 128GB options out there sdcards are moot.

The number one selling tablet in the world does not have an sdcard.

This is a case of a select few people, including journalists, that are stomping their feet. The iPhone is often falsely heralded as the best phone in the world by bloggers and yet it has never had either option. Now that Samsung is moving away from it the end of the world is near? Not likely.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I suppose we could do a poll... Given two phones exactly the same except one includes 128gb internal storage; the other 32gb internal with a removable sd card slot. Both phones equal in price. The results would be interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I suppose we could do a poll... Given two phones exactly the same except one includes 128gb internal storage; the other 32gb internal with a removable sd card slot. Both phones equal in price. The results would be interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

A poll on a tech site would not target the common demographic though.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the new "root or no root" that replaced "ios or Android" as the biggest question of the day.
Look at how much media and forum coverage it's getting.
It was inevitable that Samsung would go the direction they did with their clone Apple mentality they've had for half a decade now. HTC did so in desperation and eventually LG will capitulate to the Benjamins as well.
As written above, the number 1 selling tablet has no expandable memory and millions upon millions of earthlings shell out the extra c note for more memory without a word. Call it ignorance about being ripped off or convenience but whatever the reason it works for manufacturers in this saturated market where stock holders are demanding continued revenue increases so the 401 crowd doesn't get antsy and the billionaires keep their "b" in their net worth.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is the new "root or no root" that replaced "ios or Android" as the biggest question of the day.
Look at how much media and forum coverage it's getting.
It was inevitable that Samsung would go the direction they did with their clone Apple mentality they've had for half a decade now. HTC did so in desperation and eventually LG will capitulate to the Benjamins as well.
As written above, the number 1 selling tablet has no expandable memory and millions upon millions of earthlings shell out the extra c note for more memory without a word. Call it ignorance about being ripped off or convenience but whatever the reason it works for manufacturers in this saturated market where stock holders are demanding continued revenue increases so the 401 crowd doesn't get antsy and the billionaires keep their "b" in their net worth.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
It is the typical FUD machine spinning up to hack and slash away at Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG, etc.

Apple makes a phone with 2011 specs in 2015...Hoooray!

Samsung gets hammered year after year for using superior polycarbonates, finally gives in to the nay sayers, and then gets ripped by those very same people for "copying" Apple?

HTC's design gets ripped off by Apple, HTC uses the same design again, yet HTC is dropping the ball?

LG makes a beast phone in the G4 yet you should avoid it because it "overheats", the screen is flawed, etc.

If it doesn't have an Apple logo on the back the press will find a way to slam it.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
LOL!
Personally I've always liked Samsung's Polycarbonate. Well, the "bandaid look" on my S5 WAS a bit much, but who sees the back of their phone that often? :)
But yeah.....There will always be something to complain about until the perfect phone is released in 20never.

S5 tap'n