No SDcard Slot For The Note 5?!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Y
There are more options than Samsung when it comes to purchasing phones. Why would they not move over to another OEM if they HAD to have an sdcard? It's not happening and it's not going to start happening. With 128GB options out there sdcards are moot.

Again, you keep ignoring that an SD card is not the only factor in a phone purchase. That several factors of equal or greater importance dictate a purchase in no way means people don't care about an SD card. But people CLEARLY care about more storage otherwise Apple would only sell it's 16gig IPhones (and wouldn't be discontinuing it).

Your logic about cloud storage is also terribly flawed. Unless you got in early, you have to piecemeal together free storage for it to amount to anything significant, which is why an SD card is a superior option. Google offers plenty of free storage for music, but most people think the player stinks. It's also an issue with limited data plans. And it's an issue in areas with no wifi or data (i.e. airplanes).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not going to analyze the methodology, but here's an interesting study conducted on Iphone sales on EBAY. Second most important factor? Storage (pg. 15), above even condition. About 27% or so of sales are people opting for the 32 gig (@18%) or 64 gig (@9%)....So I think my 20% number was conservative.
http://www.stat.berkeley.edu/~aldous/Research/Ugrad/zhang_wenyu.pdf

And, really, the mere fact that people pay more for extra storage even in used phones (at about a premium of aboutt 4x an SD card would cost) should end this debate. Basic economics tells you people wouldn't pay more for extra storage if they didn't want it, and they CERTAINLY wouldn't pay a 4x premium if they didn't attach significant value to it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You have to remember though....they're isheep and are used to paying through the nose for extra crap, all the while getting less. *drops mike*

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You have to remember though....they're isheep and are used to paying through the nose for extra crap, all the while getting less. *drops mike*

S5 tap'n
Before iPhone a great phone case was $20 at most. After iPhone a great case is $50 at least.
Apple just found that if marketed correctly folks will pay $1.50 for a $1 bill and everyone else has seen that now as well. Do you really NEED 64GB at $100 extra? Or is your definition of need skewed by marketing? The best way to sell anything is make folks feel they need it in order to survive. Wanna sell a gazillion copies of a book? Market a problem with the solution as being in a book. Wanna sell anything? Introduce peer pressure or state how it'll make everything ok.
We here on this forum, for the most part, see through deceptive marketing , limited data being a great deal as an example, that many many don't see through. How many cameras are sold each day with their marketing being more mega pixels as their greatest feature? What is the most used setting on most dslr cameras sold to soccer moms and dads? Auto.
Apple just saw it first and exploited it best.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Reactions: cr6

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Again, you keep ignoring that an SD card is not the only factor in a phone purchase. That several factors of equal or greater importance dictate a purchase in no way means people don't care about an SD card. But people CLEARLY care about more storage otherwise Apple would only sell it's 16gig IPhones (and wouldn't be discontinuing it).

Your logic about cloud storage is also terribly flawed. Unless you got in early, you have to piecemeal together free storage for it to amount to anything significant, which is why an SD card is a superior option. Google offers plenty of free storage for music, but most people think the player stinks. It's also an issue with limited data plans. And it's an issue in areas with no wifi or data (i.e. airplanes).

I'm not ignoring other factors in a phone purchase. To hear people talk so much about "I'll never buy another Samsung phone because they ditched sdcards and removable batteries" narrows the discussion to those topics. I get that a nicer construction, better camera, etc are most likely the front runners in decision making, but I still believe the majority of the population care less about sdcards.

I am not talking about us techies that clearly know the added value it brings. I'm talking about Aunt Chelsie and Uncle Buck. Your average consumer.

I never said anything about cloud storage though. I don't use it. The cloud hosts my phone contacts and that's it.

The cloud, imo, is a sneaky way to get around offering onboard storage and a way for carriers to eat through your data.

I have unlimited internet and still don't use it. I rely solely upon local backups. Local backups are painless, free, and self automated making them a no-brainer.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yep, most people don't need a ton of cloud storage unless you need immediate access to 50 thousands songs or your whole family tree. I keep everything backed up to my pc, and then backed up to external HD. It's taken over 5 years to accumulate 15 gig on my dropbox acct, and even then half of that needs to be weeded through and deleted, I just haven't taken the time.

S5 tap'n

petepray

Reaction score
Never seen a reason to use SD card, and never had to replace my battery, this is the best move samsung had done in a long time

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

_33

Reaction score
Never seen a reason to use SD card, and never had to replace my battery, this is the best move samsung had done in a long time

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

How is not being able to change a faulty battery yourself in 30 seconds "the best move samsung has done in a long time"? Batteries die, for good, all the time. Why not have that option? All for a glass back, that looks nice but gets covered by a case anyways. The sd slot is hit or miss. Either you use it or you don't. I use mine, so lack of one will probably make me just grab 2 Note 4's for the cost of one Note 5 and ride it out until I find something with a real s-pen option. Yeah, I use that thing too about 20 times a day.

JeriSF

Reaction score
Thats ok it's the direction phones are heading

DCUO Heroes/ Iconic Vixen, Athena
Villains/ John Constantine, Wyrdsands
GTAV- vixen-on-deck
TESO-Nexiv Eno