Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Motorla Droid RAZR Feature Showdown!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you Trusstopher,

I have learned that the GNex is most likely using MHL technology to export the display based on the link you provided. Wikipedia says that...

The following retail products are known to have MHL technology available:

I can extrapolate that this will be true for the GNex as well.

Sweet!

Just also wanted to mention that I've always wondered why manufacturers insisted on micro hdmi ports when micro usb was glaring at them the whole time. I remember when the EVO 4G came out, there was some talk about making the micro usb send video out. I'd imagined that it was possible with software. MHL is better because it not only does this, but it charges the phone as well.

googlelover

Reaction score
Either I'm in denial or no one's fully explained yet. The RAZR looks like the phone for me, but I'm finding it hard to understand how Ice Cream Sandwich will work on it with it having capacitive buttons. My understanding of ICS was that it was supposed to standardize the Google software on all upcoming phones, but from the looks of things, it seems as though ICS would have to be modified for the RAZR. You'd think when you dump millions of dollars into something you make it forward compatible or "future ready." I guess like others have pointed out, it'll come down to walking in the store and playing with them both; not gonna gamble and buy either flat out online like I did with the OG. I can get past it not having NFC and MAYBE not having a removable battery (which is very painful, I like the idea of being able to completely sever power to "the machine" at a moments notice) but not being able to smoothly integrate an OS that's practically right at our doorstep is almost unacceptable.
ICS doesn't NEED physical buttons, but it can work just as well with them I would assume, considering (AFAIK) all previous android phones had physical buttons and they said all older phones that ran gingerbread should be able to run ICS. I don't think they would say that if it wouldn't work with the buttons. Seems like it would be the opposite if that were true.
Edit: Didn't think of this earlier, but wouldn't Moto have to modify gingerbread if it didn't have the buttons considering gingerbread still needs them?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Either I'm in denial or no one's fully explained yet. ... it seems as though ICS would have to be modified for the RAZR.

I think ICS was modified for the GNex, because that was the way they wanted to go. Remember earlier builds of ICS were on phones with capacitive buttons. Capacitive buttons mean not being able to modify the button placement, or removing buttons you don't need, but that's it.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Android is always modified to fit the model it's going on. They don't just grab the AOSP and slab it on.

It's what makes Android so great!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Black C5 Z06

Reaction score
I am exactly 50/50.
Like said before, I'm just going to have to wait and see how they feel when I walk in Verizon. Also will matter which one has (if they will) a Black Friday discount.

Artimis

Reaction score
  • -Both have Gorilla glass.

Where did you find this information? I've been looking for confirmation on whether or not it used Gorilla glass. So far, all the research I've seen shows that gorilla glass cannot be used for a curved display.

I would suspect if they used gorilla glass, they would be advertising this as a feature but I have not seen this anywhere.

It would really suck to have used sub-par material on such a beautiful display though.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Where did you find this information? I've been looking for confirmation on whether or not it used Gorilla glass. So far, all the research I've seen shows that gorilla glass cannot be used for a curved display.

I would suspect if they used gorilla glass, they would be advertising this as a feature but I have not seen this anywhere.

It would really suck to have used sub-par material on such a beautiful display though.
I really wish they would just release an exact list of stuff in on and outside of the device but they only list the stuff they think we want to know about....Which is a problem if you want to know if it has gorilla glass or even more info than 1.2ghz processor. Dumbing it down is good for press i guess... But either here is where i got my info on the glass : "Both phones use Gorilla Glass for their large screens, so durability shouldn’t be a problem. " Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs Motorola DROID RAZR: superphone shootout | Android Community

screaminz2002

Reaction score
Am I not the only one wishing we could combine the two phones to make one pretty dang awesome one? I mean if the Nexus had the build quality of the Razr with an SD card and hdmi port would this even be a topic? Seems like Samsung could have hit a grand slam with just a tad bit more work. Still I am leaning towards the Nexus over Razr. I can always leave the phone as is and pay for a warranty. Really with the fast updates, no bloatware (I wonder if this will even be a factor with ICS or if it will be turned off- calculated risk I guess), and ICS out of the box I don't see a reason to go to Motorola except for loyalty. Hopefully we will also see an extended battery for the Nexus which will last much longer then the software based Razr. I don't know about you but I very seriously doubt the ability of software to manage the battery without effecting performance. Any huge innovated software can get copied and redistributed. Hardware wins every single time over software.

alboboy10

Reaction score
If they just stopped putting Verizon bloat on these phones...

And I don't wanna hack to remove things. Just don't want them to be there.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have to admit, I've ripped Moto's lapdocks, but the new 10.1" screen is only $200. I almost consider that a better option than a tablet, not to mention you're mirroring your LTE connection. Seems like a pretty good deal for surfing the web and even some light Google Docs. You've already paid for your phone - drop the home internet and the lapdock pays for itself in 6 months! (yes, I know you can illegal tether and accomplish the same thing).

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just fyi, I ealier stated that Razr processor was an overclocked 4430, Vz just released info and its an underclocked 4460. Just let that brew in your minds. :)

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Just fyi, I ealier stated that Razr processor was an overclocked 4430, Vz just released info and its an underclocked 4460. Just let that brew in your minds. :)

So the new NEXUS and razr share the same OMAP?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
So the new NEXUS and razr share the same OMAP?Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
Correctamundo. :) but without the ability to overclock/underclock it easily (no access to kernel in Razr), kind of loses points in my book. Definitely gains points that its not an overclocked 4430 though. With nexus im planning on underclocking it more to 800mhz, Lol im hoping thatl really save on battery. i never really use apps that are that cpu intense but i sure want the capability.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Correctamundo. :) but without the ability to overclock/underclock it easily (no access to kernel in Razr), kind of loses points in my book. Definitely gains points that its not an overclocked 4430 though. With nexus im planning on underclocking it more to 800mhz, Lol im hoping thatl really save on battery. i never really use apps that are that cpu intense but i sure want the capability.

I thought you could at least underclock it. I thought you could do that on the X.