[HACKS] Safestrap Guide for RAZR

bolski

Reaction score
Quick question. It appears Safestrap is naming my backups and writing the timestamp incorrectly on my backups.

For example, at 7:49 am Eastern Time, I started a backup. When I rebooted back into my RAZR and looked at the backups, I noticed that they had the correct date (06-26-2012), but the time stamps started at 11:49, so it was about 4 hours later which to me is in GMT.

Is this normal? Why isn't Safestrap using the correct timezone?

Thanks!

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
I wish that safestrap was no longer available. I've seen so many failures with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

So what do you recommend instead of safestrap? Bootstrap or something else I don't know about?

OP
guidot

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So what do you recommend instead of safestrap? Bootstrap or something else I don't know about?

There is only bootstrap.

And safestrap is quite fine. I made this guide from the Droid 3. Same product. Also see timmy10shoes guide on this site.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

k5esxg

Reaction score
So what do you recommend instead of safestrap? Bootstrap or something else I don't know about?[/QUOTE

I have just been thru BRICK hell with my vzw Droid razr. I won't bore you with my troubles, but here's what I learned:

After you get ICS, use a bootstrap app, "razrtouch5845.apk" (Google to find it). It works with ICS. Make a backup. Use same app to restore. However, I had massive problem with simple restore (don't know why). I finally used "advanced restore", and restored each of the five files in the .xml individually. Had no failures.

If you don't recognize any of the above, google and read forum postings until you feel you know what you need to do. Months ago, I had Safestrap Recovery on GingerBread OS. I was never able to get a backup to restore. Sorry, I don't know why. All I know is, if you get "failure with system restore" notice, you get a BRICK phone! Then the only thing I could get to work was AP Fastboot recovery using fastboot file. Now there are Fastboot files for ICS posted... again just google it. Theoretically, if you get razrTouch CWM to make backup and restore correctly, you won't need Fastboot.
Just learn some stuff and my words won't be too mysterious. I am tempted to wish you, "Good Luck". But, it ain't luck. You have to know what to do.

MIkee R.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
So what do you recommend instead of safestrap? Bootstrap or something else I don't know about?[/QUOTE

I have just been thru BRICK hell with my vzw Droid razr. I won't bore you with my troubles, but here's what I learned:

After you get ICS, use a bootstrap app, "razrtouch5845.apk" (Google to find it). It works with ICS. Make a backup. Use same app to restore. However, I had massive problem with simple restore (don't know why). I finally used "advanced restore", and restored each of the five files in the .xml individually. Had no failures.

If you don't recognize any of the above, google and read forum postings until you feel you know what you need to do. Months ago, I had Safestrap Recovery on GingerBread OS. I was never able to get a backup to restore. Sorry, I don't know why. All I know is, if you get "failure with system restore" notice, you get a BRICK phone! Then the only thing I could get to work was AP Fastboot recovery using fastboot file. Now there are Fastboot files for ICS posted... again just google it. Theoretically, if you get razrTouch CWM to make backup and restore correctly, you won't need Fastboot.
Just learn some stuff and my words won't be too mysterious. I am tempted to wish you, "Good Luck". But, it ain't luck. You have to know what to do.

MIkee R.

Might want to mention the note about this version of CWM.

"Important! This CWM Touch recovery is only and only for the international Droid RAZR, it will NOT work on the Verizon RAZR, so please do not try it out if you have the Verizon device. It also requires your device to be rooted.
CompatibilityThis hack and the guide below are compatible only and only with the Motorola Droid RAZR, model number XT910. Do NOT try it on the Verizon RAZR which is model number XT912. It’s not compatible with any other device. Check your device model in Settings » About phone."

k5esxg

Reaction score
It worked for me

The post where I found "razrtouch5845.apk" said that the developer had just finished an update to support the vzw XT912. I tried it and it worked. No debate intended. Just the facts... MIkee R.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
The post where I found "razrtouch5845.apk" said that the developer had just finished an update to support the vzw XT912. I tried it and it worked. No debate intended. Just the facts... MIkee R.

Oh cool, that post was on the 7th of this month so they could have easily made the changes since then. Good to know it is working for the XT912 too.

Xfactorx316

Reaction score
There is only bootstrap.

And safestrap is quite fine. I made this guide from the Droid 3. Same product. Also see timmy10shoes guide on this site.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Guidot, in my past experiances Bootstrap and Safestrap have both worked out fine, I just wanted to be sure that I wan't missing out on something new.

Tatsko

Reaction score
When I try to enter recovery mode when I'm booting up, it seems as if it simply doesn't register me pressing menu. It reacts just fine when I press search, however. I've tried several times now, uninstalled and reinstalled, etc. Any ideas?

EDIT: Huh, I'm not sure what I did, but it worked.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I have a concern here. If someone were to gain physical access to my phone, no matter how strong the encryption, or my password, they can just flash it to whatever they want with safestrap? How can I protect myself from physical access if someone were to steal my phone? They may not have any of my data necessarily, but they would be able to use the phone.

Edit: Sorry reading back this sounds confusing.

I have safestrap on my razr. Shouldn't the interface be password protected?

DroidRazrKid

Reaction score
Im a noob with driod razr but wat is this SAFE STRAP FIR? & wat do i do if i get caught in a boot loop?

bhappy

Reaction score
help....lol

FeI hope this is the right thread, I'm new here. I have tried everything to get safestrap to work. I have updated the binaries in superuser, also have made sure i downloaded the correct safestrap for RAZR. The recovery installs, but I never get the splashscreen to appear.... Any help would be appreciated.

_Jacob

Reaction score
I followed the guide to create a backup of my stock (ICS) ROM. I'm using safestrap 2.11 and every time I select backup to external SD it tells me that it can't find the SD/backup/android.secure. Anyone?

jo_p

Reaction score
Trying to switch on to the safeside, but there isn't enough space in Emmc to make the backup. Where do i need to make space and approximately how much space do i need for this to go through?! using 2.11