Sadly, The HTC Merge Ends Up at Alltel Instead of Verizon

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
HTC-Merge-2.jpg

In a head-spinning move, the HTC Merge sadly won't be coming to Verizon after-all. Previously, industry sources indicated that Verizon would be getting the HTC Merge. Unfortunately, it turns out that Alltel snapped it up instead. We wanted to report this to those folks that were looking forward to this phone on Verizon.

On the bright-side, if you happen to also be with Alltel for some reason, you can go chat about the Merge over at our sister-site, Mergeforums.com. Pre-orders for the device start on March 28th.

Source: AndroidCentral

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
It wasn't anything special anyway. I would be upset if it would have been a high end phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You say sadly and I say gladly if that would have been all vzw presented at ctia while other carriers are presenting dual core and 3d devices than I would have had to cancel my contract.

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Its sad for mid level users I like my 1.2ghz processor Droid 2 global ...

But please mistake me if I am Wrong please correct me doesn't VERIZON OWN/RUN ALLTEL ??????

so is this going to be a prepaid device ??????

phxslayer

Reaction score
Alltel and Verizon did merge back in like 2009. Not sure what the deal is with phone exclusivity, but I was on Alltel when the merger happened and we HAD to move all of our corporate phones to Verizon per the carrier. All of our local Alltel stores closed too.

Doesn't make much sense to me either.

Siacono

Reaction score
Yes VZW owns Alltel... I was an Alltel customer and got merged over to VZW when I upgraded my cell....

UNC

Reaction score
This is REALLY REALLY old news. This was reported MONTHS ago on Miami's Merge is coming in November thread....

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yes, Verizon owns Alltel but in certain markets where it would have killed competition they did not get to own the Alltel base there. They had to divest certain markets and run them as a separate entity until someone else could buy them. I know At&t bought some of the markets but this is probably just for the markets that they haven't found a buyer for yet.

kickyindahead

Reaction score
Yes, Verizon owns Alltel but in certain markets where it would have killed competition they did not get to own the Alltel base there. They had to divest certain markets and run them as a separate entity until someone else could buy them. I know At&t bought some of the markets but this is probably just for the markets that they haven't found a buyer for yet.

in my area .. this is the website that comes up when trying to access the alltel website ..

Welcome to AT&T

About the Merger

AT&T recently completed an acquisition agreement with Verizon Wireless which included select Verizon Wireless, Unicel, and Alltel properties in your area. The acquisition enhances AT&T's wireless network coverage primarily in rural areas in 79 service areas in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, and Wyoming. You can see a map of the acquired markets here.
AT&T will launch service on a market-by-market basis as network integration is completed. Your wireless service will transition to AT&T shortly after that. We will contact you and other affected subscribers shortly with more information about your service transition. In the meantime, if you have more questions, please read our FAQs.

so i jumped ship cuz i refused to pay at&ts high rates and went with verizon... for their unlimited data plan

Chris H.

Reaction score
Verizon does not own Alltel. There may still be some Alltel stores that will eventually be merged to either Verizon or AT&T, but Alltel is under new ownership of Atlantic Tele-Network and running under the same Alltel name brand.

A search for Alltel on wikipedia provides the best info:

On June 5, 2008, Verizon Wireless announced it would acquire the majority of Alltel Wireless in a deal valued at $28.1 billion. The merger was approved by the Federal Communications Commission on the condition that Verizon divest 105 Alltel markets. On May 8, 2009, AT&T announced it would acquire 79 of the divested wireless properties, including licenses, network assets, and 1.5 million current subscribers, primarily in rural areas across 18 states. Verizon Wireless is required to divest these properties as part of the regulatory approvals granted for its purchase of Alltel.

On April 26, 2010, Atlantic Tele-Network acquired the remaining 26 divested Alltel markets, including licenses, network assets and 800,000 subscribers. These remaining markets continue to be operated by Allied Wireless, a subsidiary of ATN, under the Alltel name.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Oh ok. I didn't know that Atlantic Telenetwork had already taken over those markets.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk