Alltel Gets The HTC Merge!!!

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
To answer some people questions on Alltel Go here <CLICK ME>

1. Counties in west central Georgia that will continue to be serviced by Alltel include Crawford, Crisp, Dooly, Harris, Lamar, Macon, Marion, Meriwether, Monroe, Pike, Schley, Spalding, Stewart, Sumter, Talbot, Taylor, Upson and Webster.

Map of Alltel Wireless Divested Areas

Map of ATN/Alltel merged areas clearly pointed out.

wmnomore

Reaction score
Probably something stupid happened-not wanting to step on moto's feet. This would have been a nice addition. There's still hope i guess. Saw an article somewhere about a few 3G phones still coming for VZW soon.

socalsx

Reaction score
why is everyone so upset!?
A: it showed up on vzw's site
B: a source said they are "putting an lte radio in it"

i dont know about you all, but ill wait for a lte device that has a keyboard!

bigdav1178

Reaction score
WTF was HTC thinking? All that R&D wasted on a 3rd rate carrier.

Actually, I have a feeling this was Verizon's decision. As we saw in test units, FCC filings, magazine advertisements, other leaks this device WAS bound for Verizon. I think Verizon walked out on it (I personally think Verizon feared it would be too much competition for the Droid 2/Pro lines, so they canned it). Considering that it didn't seem to get canned until right before launch, HTC probably already had a good stock of these things to get rid of - and since Alltel is compatible with Verizon, they picked'em up.

At least that would be my guess...

bigdav1178

Reaction score
... I wonder how difficult / if possible to activate one of these things on Verizon, once they're released. I know it should be possible, technically; but whether Verizon would allow it on their network is another question.

Anyone in the know have an answer to that?

barcodelinux

Reaction score
WTF was HTC thinking? All that R&D wasted on a 3rd rate carrier.

Actually, I have a feeling this was Verizon's decision. As we saw in test units, FCC filings, magazine advertisements, other leaks this device WAS bound for Verizon. I think Verizon walked out on it (I personally think Verizon feared it would be too much competition for the Droid 2/Pro lines, so they canned it). Considering that it didn't seem to get canned until right before launch, HTC probably already had a good stock of these things to get rid of - and since Alltel is compatible with Verizon, they picked'em up.

At least that would be my guess...

Sounds completely plausible.

Upon further reflection, I did notice the lack of carrier branding on the device. I wonder if it is actually not present and it is in fact heading to Alltel...or a photoshop job of the original vzw device minus the Big Red logo but with an Alltel wallpaper just to stir the pot.

barcodelinux

Reaction score
... I wonder how difficult / if possible to activate one of these things on Verizon, once they're released. I know it should be possible, technically; but whether Verizon would allow it on their network is another question.

Anyone in the know have an answer to that?

If VZW would allow it, that would be awesome. However, I suspect that to NOT be a case.
But keep this in mind...if the rumors and reviewer videos regarding the specifications are to be believed, and this thing has both a CDMA AND GSM radio, any carrier in the world should be able to take it.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
Wonder what ever happened to VZW's open network that they talked about a year ago, the one where any compatible phone that met their standards would be allowed... seems like that was just a load of crap for when they bought alltel and where bidding on spectrum. Oh well just another walled garden...