s3 messing up should I take refurbished?

kparks

Reaction score
So I got my s3 on Jul 10th.. Had problems from day 2 called support on the 16th and voiced how my phone is messing up and I want a new one not a refurbished so she wrote that in my notes that that's not a problem because I'm having problems already and told me to do a factory reset then if it does it again do another then add app 1 by 1 so I did because it did mess up again.

Now the other day my phone totally freezes so I was forced to do another reset then before I even added anything back to the phone it did the prior problem and about 8hr later it froze again so I said I'm done messing with it got busy at work when I tried to call Monday so I called this Monday... I talked to 4 different people and they kept reciting the contract on only having 14 days to return for a new device and they refuse to send me a new one even tho its in my notes that I've had problems and didn't want a refurbished one because every time I get one its garbage and that I was never told this rule about 14 days.. I was told it's in my notes so it's good and if it keeps messing up call back..I should of been told this info when I call the first time because like any normal person I would of said F troubleshooting just send me the new one.. All they say is were sorry for the conflicting info u received but we can send u a refurb one. what u guys think I should do I'm pretty pissed obviously

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Honestly man I don't blame you for being pissed, because if they sent you a replacement with that first call, it probably would've been new.

Now, having said that, while new is always preferable, you are in the minority if you got even a single "garbage" refurb in the past. Now it does happen, and those people usually end up here on the forums, but honestly the two refurbs I've had to go through for two separate phones were better than new and solved problems I didn't even knew I had. So while it's unfortunate, it's incredibly unlikely you're getting something from someones toilet or whatever. And really, I'd be willing to bet the earliest batch of phones are always the worst put together, and quality control just gets better over time (until the phone's "cool" factor dies out at least).

OP
kparks

kparks

Reaction score
k1ngr4t said:
Honestly man I don't blame you for being pissed, because if they sent you a replacement with that first call, it probably would've been new.

Now, having said that, while new is always preferable, you are in the minority if you got even a single "garbage" refurb in the past. Now it does happen, and those people usually end up here on the forums, but honestly the two refurbs I've had to go through for two separate phones were better than new and solved problems I didn't even knew I had. So while it's unfortunate, it's incredibly unlikely you're getting something from someones toilet or whatever. And really, I'd be willing to bet the earliest batch of phones are always the worst put together, and quality control just gets better over time (until the phone's "cool" factor dies out at least).

Ur Prolly right I've got 3 refurbished phones I got a Droid x with a faulty home button and just delt with it. a thunderbolt with the screen lifting off then another tbolt that was the best phone I've ever had.. That's why I'm trying to avoid refurbished but I'm still mad they told me to troubleshoot the s3 and don't mention this 14day crap that's not right at all.. and there even reading the note on the account and it says something totally different than what there telling me but what there telling me now is right of course so much for great support they messed up they should make it right in my mind.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Inside the 14 day window always just return. I know it's too late.
Verizon has had a 14 day return policy for almost 2 years now.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Ur Prolly right I've got 3 refurbished phones I got a Droid x with a faulty home button and just delt with it. a thunderbolt with the screen lifting off then another tbolt that was the best phone I've ever had.. That's why I'm trying to avoid refurbished but I'm still mad they told me to troubleshoot the s3 and don't mention this 14day crap that's not right at all.. and there even reading the note on the account and it says something totally different than what there telling me but what there telling me now is right of course so much for great support they messed up they should make it right in my mind.

Yeah, the least they could do is offer a free case or screen protector or something, I've heard of them doing that. Such is the nature of the beast though...you live by the phone, you die by the phone.

It actually is in their sales script to mention the 14 day return period when you're buying your phone, have never ordered one online so I'm not sure if there's a warning notice or anything. They do usually just breeze through it when they say it, and I'm sure plenty don't say it at all. I think it's BS you can only return it once. You should at least be able to return it once and if you decide you liked the original more be able to switch back. After all, we're paying a re-stocking fee, so it's not like the phone is going back to the factory or anything, right? Greedy bastards...

droidummie

Reaction score
I had the same problem with s3 freezing... I just took it to a local Verizon store near me and they swapped it out w a new opened in front of me phone and didn't charge the $35 restock fee. Was all done within the 14 day satisfaction guarantee.
Next time try taking any problems to a home store... Sucks that u paid all that money just to get a refurbished phone in exchange.

OP
kparks

kparks

Reaction score
droidummie said:
I had the same problem with s3 freezing... I just took it to a local Verizon store near me and they swapped it out w a new opened in front of me phone and didn't charge the $35 restock fee. Was all done within the 14 day satisfaction guarantee.
Next time try taking any problems to a home store... Sucks that u paid all that money just to get a refurbished phone in exchange.

Ima try again by sending them a email.. I but if the phone messes up again I'll just take the refurb I guess