S3 Internal Memory almost full - TWRP Recovery

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have less than 500mb of internal storage space left on my S3 which is really hindering the number of apps I can have on the phone. I'm down so far that even apps that need to update can't install because of the limited space. When I install new ROM's (I hadn't done that in about a year), but I recently installed Beans newest one. This is when the problems started. I was told that when I wipe in TWRP recovery that I should format the internal memory. When installing a new ROM I wipe Cache, Factory Reset, System and Dalvik cache.

What is the procedure in TWRP Recovery mode to safely format the internal memory? If I click on Format Data I get the big Triangle and Exclamation and asks "Format Data? This wipes all internal storage including backups & removes encryption) Most of the time you do not need to do this." - There is another that is "Wipe Internal Storage", is that the one I should be using or the one with the big red Triangle? And, how will I be able to select "internal" card only if it really is the Wipe Internal Storage one? I just want to make sure I have everything correct before doing anything because I am low on storage.

Thanks in advance.

1drummernamedmarcus

Reaction score
Do you have an external sd card? If so download your rom onto your externel sd.
Whenever flashing a new rom it allways a good idea to wipe internal as well. Wipe data dalvik system and internal and do it three times.. then flash the rom from your ext.. I would also make a backup on your ext prior to the flash of your woking rom. The procedure for that internal wipe is going into "advanced" youll see it.. it will say wipe internal and there will be some boxes to check its really important that you wipe internal when flashing due to cache that can hang onto your new flash.
Youll have tons of space back..
Hope this helps.

Sent from my MARCUS! using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure any of that will help your problem. Move all apps you can to SD (except for those you want to use widgets). Otherwise, there's an internal partition where apps and there data sit...and when that fills up you have no option but to get rid of some of your apps.

You might check news/sports apps that download/cache items. There are still some poorly coded ones out there that store on internal and don't give you an option to store on the SD card.

Also, if you install a new rom the Playstore will download all your apps to internal...so you almost have to sit there and move the apps to external that you can to keep from running out of space.

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have an external sd card? If so download your rom onto your externel sd.
Whenever flashing a new rom it allways a good idea to wipe internal as well. Wipe data dalvik system and internal and do it three times.. then flash the rom from your ext.. I would also make a backup on your ext prior to the flash of your woking rom. The procedure for that internal wipe is going into "advanced" youll see it.. it will say wipe internal and there will be some boxes to check its really important that you wipe internal when flashing due to cache that can hang onto your new flash.
Youll have tons of space back..
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using TWRP recovery and in the Advanced tab, I have Copy Log to SD, Fix Permissions, File Manager, Terminal Command, Reload Theme and ADB Sideload. Don't think the Advanced tab is where I want to be.

Under the "Wipe" tab I have External Storage, Internal Storage and Format Data. Is "Internal Storage" what I want? It just says "Wipe Internal Storage?" and I swipe to wipe it. Is that going to do it or is it going to delete something that will prevent me from rebooting? And, do I want to restore the ROM backup again?

By the way, my ROM's are stored on the External SD card, which I just got tonight, and its a 64 GB card, so I have LOTS of external storage space now.

1drummernamedmarcus

Reaction score
If you wipe the internal youll do just that.. you will have nothing to boot to.. these wipes you are seeing are part of the procedure for a COMPLETE new setup. Youll be wiping the system and have to reflash. Sorry.. i have a bit a differnt of twrp version than you under wipe i have advanced which includes internal. You can wipe the internal and then navigate to your restore. But have you tested that restore??
Once you wipe internal like i said and like u said theres nothing to boot to. So youll be starting all over from your restore or a new flash of the rom.. does that make sence?? did i hear you say your running meanbean?? Lol thats ezmkdubs build i know him lol..