Why do we have 8 gig's of internal storage?

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
My wife has an LG Ally. 2gigs of internal and what a pain in the ass this phone is. Significantly limits the number of apps she can use.

And if it fills, you can't do anything. Send texts, email; anything that affects the /data folder. So you have to uninstall programs and then reboot.

Be glad for the minor "inconvenience" of wasting space.

Sounds like it may be worth rooting the your wife's phone and install apps2sd so you can move some apps to the sd card.

qman66

Reaction score
Like the title says, why do we have such a large internal memory? I have more apps than I could ever use and I still have 5.7 gig's left over.

Is there anyway to use the internal storage via a file manager?

I realize every time I wipe/install a ROM all internal storage gets dumped, but I'd like to use the extra space it in the meantime.

Yes it can be used. That's where I keep videos and stuff. Requires root and with root explorer go to the data folder.

I grabbed root explorer and moved one of my movies to my internal phone memory. Now it wont play! Am I able to play movies that are on my internal memory? Thanks!
yes of course thats why i keep all my videos there since i have no space left in my sd. what exactly is ur problem? how wont it play explain

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
WTF! I had the movie in my data parent folder, wouldnt play there. I just moved it to data/download thinking that was it and still nothing! I messed with the permissions (not sure how I should have it set up exactly) and it still wont play. Strange stuff!

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
My wife has an LG Ally. 2gigs of internal and what a pain in the ass this phone is. Significantly limits the number of apps she can use.

And if it fills, you can't do anything. Send texts, email; anything that affects the /data folder. So you have to uninstall programs and then reboot.

Be glad for the minor "inconvenience" of wasting space.

Wow, i have had quite a few apps installed on a D1, and it only has 256mb for apps, i can't imagine how many you would have to have to fill 2gb or 8!

turdbogls

Reaction score
Wow, i have had quite a few apps installed on a D1, and it only has 256mb for apps, i can't imagine how many you would have to have to fill 2gb or 8!

I was running out of space on my OG droid with about 60 apps. sure it didn't NEED some of those, but i was still running out of space.

I currently have just over 100 apps on my DX and still have 5.94GB free space. as much as i think it is wasted space, i sure do like having it there and not having to worry about using apps2SD or running out of space. i do wish it would save game data and game downloads to the internal memory though.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
After I installed liberty 1.5, it looks like most of my apps and everything else ended up on my sd card leaving almost all of my 8 internal free. I vaguely remember seeing that it is not good to have everything on your sd card. Is there really an issue where you put stuff other than leaving some of the internal free for processes?

qman66

Reaction score
Try downloading rock player and when u click on the file in root explorer it should tell u all the apps that are capable of reading ur file and rock player should be an option

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
After I installed liberty 1.5, it looks like most of my apps and everything else ended up on my sd card leaving almost all of my 8 internal free. I vaguely remember seeing that it is not good to have everything on your sd card. Is there really an issue where you put stuff other than leaving some of the internal free for processes?

Apps tend to run slower on an SDCard....

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Try downloading rock player and when u click on the file in root explorer it should tell u all the apps that are capable of reading ur file and rock player should be an option

That didnt do it either. Stubborn f'n thing! I may have to offer a reward for who can figure it out! :)